How I hold an M10

mweiner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The recent thread “M10 Stuck on ISO 400” veered to a discussion of leaving the iso dial in the up  position to facilitate changing iso on the fly.  I asked for help with my problem of pushing dial down whenever even think of picking up the camera.  Frequently moving the dial up and down may be an especially bad idea now given the possibility of a hardware fault there.  I got some good advice about how to hold the camera when shooting; however, I don’t have troubles with the  iso dial when the camera is at my eye actually shooting images (which is rare); the problem is when I raise and lower the camera from my side and  when I fondle it (which is often).  In the process of that discussion, I posted an image of how I hold the camera in the portrait orientation.  Digitalfx gave some advice about keeping the fingers of the left hand on the focusing ring.  I have trouble doing this and asked for a picture which Jaapv supplied.  (See post #87 of the “M10 Stuck on ISO 400” topic.)

@digitalfx:  Keeping the left hand against the bottom of the camera as you recommend is useful to stabilize it, and is a good argument for “underhanded”.  I still have trouble turning the focus ring without my 4th and 5th fingers covering the focus patch window.  It’s easier though with lenses that have tabs and harder with the ones with just rings.  The tip about putting my fingers on the focusing ring _first_ turned out to be very helpful for getting off on the right foot, underhanded.

@jaapv:  I am confused by your post #87 picture of holding the camera vertically with the shutter release at the upper left and your right elbow up and waving as your hand reaches over the top of the camera.  In your  FAQ illustration of how to hold the camera (horizontally at least), your ‘right way’ shows your right elbow down along your side.  In your illustration of the wrong way you show your elbow out to the side and even say, “The most common mistakes are waving elbow…”   In the early M8 forum, two members reported their experience shooting at some major news event where they were derided by the professionals for waving their elbows.  The pros pointed out that elbows up was very impolite because it blocked the view of the shooters behind one, and also that elbow down pressed against one’s torso adds stability.

Yes. But vertical is different from horizontal. You have two options: swing the camera down from the standard position and use your thumb to release. Advantage: you have the stability of both elbows against you body. Drawbacks: it feels cramped and a finger may obcure the rangefinder window.

Or swing the camera up (my preferred way) Advantage: ease of operation. Disadvantage: loss of stability as one arm will be at 90º.

I am posting 3 examples of how I hold my M10 for shooting portrait orientation.

As you’d expect of someone who can’t keep from pushing down the ISO dial,  I just can’t keep my fingers away from the focusing patch window when going under-handed, so I go ‘over-hand’.  The first example is my preference for lenses with short throw and a tab.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The second example is my preference for longer throw lenses without a tab.

The third example is what I do for maximum stability when this is more critical that being able to quickly re-adjust the focus.  In defense of my taking my fingers away from the focusing ring, I’ll cite practice of experienced street shooters who set a 35mm lens at f8 focused at about 12 feet, giving them an (ideal) DOF from 8 feet to infinity;  then they shoot, not only with fingers away from the focusing ring, but often their eye away from the viewfinder.

These examples also illustrate a tip from “The Old Man” Lars B. of the early M8 forum.  He recommended the strap be adjusted pretty short and placing the right hand under/inside it when lifting the camera so it wraps around one’s hand. With just right adjustment of the strap, this works in both the landscape and portrait positions,  Also, one can easily alternate between carrying the camera either hanging off the left shoulder and/or the bandolier style, and it can still work in both camera orientations.  The old classic Leica strap works fine, though I use the ‘medium’ width Upstrap.  The new strap Leica includes with the M10 probably won’t work.  The point is that as one tensions the strap with one’s hand and slouches the shoulders the straps compress the hands around the camera using one’s back/shoulder as the stabilizing anchor. You can see in the third example, where I want maximum stability, I place also my left hand under the strap.   As some will remember, Lars was one of the more respected contributors to the M8 forum, and I have found his recommendation my go to method for holding an M.

There is something else to note in the examples is definitely idiosyncratic and controversial.   You will note how my right index finger extends along the right side of the camera.  Using the thumb is ok, but then one can’t lock the camera between the two hands; using the index finger the flat way one should for horizontal shooting is very awkward; bending the finger and using the tip leads to jabbing the release.  Of course you wonder how I can release the shutter.  I have a micro-soft release on the release button which adds (only) 2mm height. I fashion these from little pieces of self-adhesive felt drawer or furniture pads, but I have also used some bumpers from Amazon which come in clear and black. It may be necessary to trim a little so the adhesive doesn’t attach to the ring around the button. I rarely use a cable release and when I do, the bumpers are so cheap that I just take it off and replace it.   More mechanically skilled folks could probably make something to screw into the release button to add the 2mm, and I’d expect that a mini or standard soft release would work.

The joint at the lower third of my right index finger (the ventral aspect of the head of it’s proximal phalanx to be exact) rests on the (2mm extended) release button.  A slight rolling motion, pressing the finger into the camera releases the shutter. This is somewhat similar to the rolling motion of the distal phalanx described by Jaapv in his M10 FAQ post on how to hold an M10.  In addition to being able to smoothly release the shutter, the right index finger along the speed dial and top plate also adds stability.

I would add that the 2mm micro soft release also enables one to shoot from the hip at right angles from the direction one is facing.  The camera hangs from the shoulder with the left hand inconspicuously resting on the camera with the base of the thumb (the head of the first metacarpal actually) over the shutter release. Then a gentle extension of the thumb releases the shutter.

• Like 1

personally I was never comfortable shooting the M vertical...and my photography reflects that- 90% Horizontal :)

@mweiner at the end of the day...its what works for you that matters. If your style works and you can nail focus stick with it. Although in the images above I don't see the ISO dial being an issue.

and your right about focus...if you tend to shoot at f8, my earlier comments are less appropriate. I generally shoot wide open, so just breathing causes me issues :)