SL Firmware 4.0 update wishes

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why be so annoyed? Sell it and buy something that doesn't annoy you. 

The SL is so nearly perfect for my use I have no such feelings about it.

It is perfect for my use too except the viewfinder brightness.

As most Leica cameras have the ability to adjust the viewfinder brightness, I have been patiently waiting for them to bring that basic feature to this camera.

(Introduced in firmware in the M240, Leica T etc etc way after those cameras were launched.)

A quick way to brighten the EVF is to set the top dial to adjust Exposure Compensation. You can set your exposure and then turn the dial to darken or lighten the EVF.

If in manual mode and fixed ISO you can simply shoot with zero effect on the raw files.

In any other mode you can quickly spin the dial for EVF brightness and then put it back to the optimal setting to shoot.

This is a simple workaround that I use but I would welcome a brightness setting in the menu.

A quick way to brighten the EVF is to set the top dial to adjust Exposure Compensation. You can set your exposure and then turn the dial to darken or lighten the EVF.

If in manual mode and fixed ISO you can simply shoot with zero effect on the raw files.

In any other mode you can quickly spin the dial for EVF brightness and then put it back to the optimal setting to shoot.

This is a simple workaround that I use but I would welcome a brightness setting in the menu.

Did you realise that by doing this I f you dial in exposure compensation, it resets the scale of the exposure?

So if you are metering your exposure to the middle of the scale, you are actually over-exposing the shot by whatever you are setting the exposure compensation to.

I'll put some figures on it to (hopefully) clarify what I am seeing.

I am in a pretty dark room as the sun has set in Melbourne.

M Mode

Shutter - 1/10 second, Aperture - 3.5, ISO - 12500

case 1: exp comp +1, meter = 0

case 2: exp comp off, meter = +1

So while you think that is a fix, it actually isn’t.

(Pulled from a Post I made on here in 2016)

Edit:

Obviously Manual settings lock in the exposure. If you plugged those settings in from a light meter, then great no problem.

The problem with using exposure comp to brighten the EVF is that I base exposure decisions off of the meter. And the mid point of the meter is adjusted by exposure comp in manual mode.

Edited by haydenc

Did you realise that by doing this I f you dial in exposure compensation, it resets the scale of the exposure?

So if you are metering your exposure to the middle of the scale, you are actually over-exposing the shot by whatever you are setting the exposure compensation to.

I'll put some figures on it to (hopefully) clarify what I am seeing.

I am in a pretty dark room as the sun has set in Melbourne.

M Mode

Shutter - 1/10 second, Aperture - 3.5, ISO - 12500

case 1: exp comp +1, meter = 0

case 2: exp comp off, meter = +1

So while you think that is a fix, it actually isn’t.

(Pulled from a Post I made on here in 2016)

Edit:

Obviously Manual settings lock in the exposure. If you plugged those settings in from a light meter, then great no problem.

The problem with using exposure comp to brighten the EVF is that I base exposure decisions off of the meter. And the mid point of the meter is adjusted by exposure comp in manual mode.

I set the exposure and then use EC to change brightness. In manual or non it works fine.

I understand what you’re saying but don’t use it in a way that I see any impact.

How do you meter then?

Histogram, external meter, internal meter or by eye off the evf?

If it is either of the last 2 then this does actually effect your exposure decisions.

If you have only been adjusting by 1 stop you probably wouldn’t realise the issue.

Ok, just re-read what you said. That sounds great if you can take your time, but what a complete joke of a way to adjust exposure, then turn up the brightness to take a shot (via exposure comp) then drop it down again, set metering, adjust exposure comp up again, etc etc.

If you are taking shots of something static with little to no changes in lighting then yes this way could work fine.

Edit:

Even when I change the exposure to completely over expose the entire frame to white, it looks like light grey.

So to me it says the lcd back light in my EVF is not turned up enough.

It is nothing like an optical viewfinder in brightness, (in bright conditions).

Edited by haydenc

• 3 weeks later...

Two wishes on my “SLanta” list, both features in video mode:

1. Be able to move the focus point whilst displaying the histogram

2. Be able to assign the function button on the front. It defaults to Grey card irrespective of what my configuration is.

Other than that, I am one super happy member of the SL user group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by peggers
  • Like 1

Can we have uncompressed DNG video please please?

I would love to have:

1.  10bit hdmi while cards installed(Necessary for option to disable record video?).  It's too easy to record 8bit by mistake as there isn't an obvious indicator.

2.  Full frame 4k.

But I'd happily give both those up to have RAW/DNG Video internally.  Assuming the SD cards can handle the data rate that would, overnight, make the SL a formidable contender for video production.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

In SL FW 4.0 I would like 3 things:

Clear distinction between still settings and video settings with nothing mixed between, with different screens, i.e., the camera is either in still mode or video mode. Period.

All AF options in one place.

All ISO options in one place.

Thanks,

Bill

• Like 6

Am 24.12.2017 um 10:23 schrieb peggers:

2. Be able to assign the function button on the front. It defaults to Grey card irrespective of what my configuration is.

exactly, same here: this bug is annoying (and a shame for Leica, they know this for three years)

good point: it concerns only video mode. 

On 6/5/2017 at 1:03 AM, Sandokan said:

I would like the same changes since I have been asking since V1 of FW. 

- focus peaking AND horizon on same Liveview screen 

- focus magnification to stay in the same place between shots 

also

- bring back the indicator of aperture (with non-SL lenses) in the viewfinder

+1 to all those 

• Like 1

My wishlist:
• automatic switch to focus magnification when turning the focusring on the lens. So i have not to but my hand from the lens to press the left lower button.
• tethered focusing when connecting the SL to studio  PC/mac. 
• would like to use it with helicon Focus with a hopefully coming macro-AF-lens for focus stacking.

Leica should just fix the firmware bug that the current firmware does not allow the SL & M10 to release the camera shutter trigger when used with its own SF40 & SF60 flash on HSS / Manual mode of flash ( works on HSS / TTL mode). Yet the same fault does not happen on the Leica Q.

I have come across a bevy of posts on the Internet relating to the SL's EVF and the relative "brightness" of same.  I am an eyeglass wearer and have myself encountered an issue with the SL's EVF brightness/visibility on bright, sunny days.  Since there is no real user control over the EVF's levels of "brightness," I suspect that the darkened viewfinder is the result of light leakage emanating from the eyepiece, that non eyeglass learners might not encounter.  That said, and since many of us older photographers do wear glasses, it would be nice to see either a firmware fix for this problem, thereby allowing for user cancellation of the EVF's automatic brightness feature under the aforementioned circumstances or, in the alternative, a better eyeglass sealing rubber eye cup.  Any other curative suggestions would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, ron777 said:

I have come across a bevy of posts on the Internet relating to the SL's EVF and the relative "brightness" of same.  I am an eyeglass wearer and have myself encountered an issue with the SL's EVF brightness/visibility on bright, sunny days.  Since there is no real user control over the EVF's levels of "brightness," I suspect that the darkened viewfinder is the result of light leakage emanating from the eyepiece, that non eyeglass learners might not encounter.  That said, and since many of us older photographers do wear glasses, it would be nice to see either a firmware fix for this problem, thereby allowing for user cancellation of the EVF's automatic brightness feature under the aforementioned circumstances or, in the alternative, a better eyeglass sealing rubber eye cup.  Any other curative suggestions would be appreciated.

This post has auto spell check created errors and was reposted as a separate topic.

• 2 weeks later...

New features require additional nonvolatile memory to store the additional firmware in, I’m guessing FLASH or eprom memory.  Does anyone know how much additional unused memory a SL has that could be used to store new features in firmware?  Just wondering how far they planned ahead for adding new features in firmware.

Edited by Thc879