SL Firmware 4.0 update wishes

MRJohn

This is a great thread for the newer SL owners, like me.  As an S shooter the menu system is familiar however the evf adds a whole new layer of complexity with many advantages.  Leica can certainly frustrate us with capabilities that are 99% operational but lack the last 1%, such as leveling, histogram, and peaking requiring multiple presses of the BR menu control/function button.   #16 ??   Make the short presses also programmable.  On a positive note, Leica did many things right and it is a pleasure to use the SL.    

• Like 1

Nr. 2: On/Off switch for LENR

Nr. 3: Make "zoom" for focusing with manual lenses "sticky". Meaning remember where "the focus point" last was and do not recenter when switching in/out of zoom. (I know it is no focus point, but alas.)

Nr. 4: Use aperture guessing for adapted lenses (M, R, or whatever) and DISPLAY the value in the EVF (exactly as it was for the last 18 months) (whatever the M10 users tell you, this is no M. First I thought how glad I am to own a SL, and not to have to follow the stupid ideas of M fans - how mistaken I was !!)

+1 for N3: remember where the last focus point was... Edited by Mikewest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Floating ISO with 18-56 TL zoom works in visible steps. This is clearly a bug. I hope FW 4.0 will take care of that :)

correction:

even though floating ISO works fine with SL native lenses for in-camera video, ISO adjustment in HDMI output is not stepless. this is a real problem for video and film

• 2 months later...

When using long focus legacy lenses - particularly at low ISO, the 'SELF TIMER' 2 seconds and 12 seconds options are too short and too long when attempting to prevent camera shake.

An intermediate 4 seconds setting would be very useful. In my experience when checking the viewfinder/monitor image, any resultant 'shake' caused by pressing the shutter, disappears after 4 seconds … but is still noticeable after 2 seconds. Waiting 12 seconds for the shutter to fire seems like an eternity … especially when taking a sequence of images which all require self timer use.  

dunk 

• Like 3

When using long focus legacy lenses - particularly at low ISO, the 'SELF TIMER' 2 seconds and 12 seconds options are too short and too long when attempting to prevent camera shake.

An intermediate 4 seconds setting would be very useful. In my experience when checking the viewfinder/monitor image, any resultant 'shake' caused by pressing the shutter, disappears after 4 seconds … but is still noticeable after 2 seconds. Waiting 12 seconds for the shutter to fire seems like an eternity … especially when taking a sequence of images which all require self timer use.

dunk

Remote trigger (WiFi or cable release) would solve this without firmware update.

dunk 

On my X1D you can set the time for the self timer. Awesome feature.

Gordon

• Like 1

Remote trigger (WiFi or cable release) would solve this without firmware update.

Wi Fi would but cable release would not ... slightest movement when using e.g. 1600mm lens and 2400mm lens results in noticeable 'wobble' … anything 'attached' likely to cause 'wobble' … even with two HD tripods. I have not yet tried the electronic shutter; previous experiences with other cameras' electronic shutters at night showed banding.  

dunk 

Olympus is the only company that does self-timer and anti-shake shutter lag correctly. Their digital cameras have always included a settable anti-shake, from 0 to I think it's 20 or 30 seconds, which says "do everything required mechanically and give the camera this much time to settle down before making the exposure." The self timer is separate, and usually has at least two settings (2 or 3 second delay, 10 or 12 second delay), which says, "make the exposure this much time after the shutter is triggered." 

I'd love it if Leica adopted the same strategy. It makes perfect sense. 

• 1 month later...

Please add different picture ratios when using TL (crop) lenses. For example 1:1, 4:3 and maybe 5:4 making full use of the image circle of those lenses This would expand the possibilities for the TL-lenses and make more pixels available for them!

• 2 weeks later...

Ability to adjust the EVF brightness.

For me it is coming up on 2 years of owning the SL and still my EVF is 2 stops underexposed when in bright conditions.

I hardly use this camera anymore as a result.

It is stupid as all my other Leica cameras can adjust the EVF brightness, however none of them need adjusting in the first place.

(X2, M240, T, D Lux typ 109)

4:5 crop would be super useful. I did not think much of it until this last assignment with UberEats where all deliverables had to be 4:5 ratio. I shot food in 23 restaurants last month, and optimizing the workflow for the least amount of edits per image was the key to making the whole thing worthwhile.

Really? Is the SL EVF so dark?

Yes, mine is 2 stops under in bright sunlight.

I took the camera back the day after I got it.

The shop tested it and found mine to be the same as their other cameras.

Leica was informed and they said they would be adding the ability to adjust the EVF.

I reluctantly accepted the camera back based on that. I have written about it on this forum.

Fast forward 2 years and I still have a camera that annoys me every time I use it.