SL Firmware 4.0 update wishes

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@SU25:

Why do you go back to the default profile? The default profile is supposed to present the camera to you as configured for the factory defaults. Copyright information is not set in the factory defaults. The only reason to go to the default profile is to use the camera the way it was configured from the factory. 

I start with the camera on the default profile, configure it as I'm going to use it for most purposes, and save that to User 1. That becomes MY default.

Then I modify that on the fly for what I want for another purpose and save that for User 2, switch back to User 1, modify again, save for User 3, etc. Each time naming the new configuration for its intended purpose. 

Only load the default profile when you want to use the camera as provided by the factory defaults or want to start the configuration process over from that point. Changes made to the default profile cannot be saved to the default profile, by definition, because then it would no longer be the default profile. 

• Like 1

Agree, that by definition, factory default is that set by Leica. However, when I make changes to factory default it becomes MY default. There is a "reset" option to reset the camera to factory default settings. 

Moreover, when I make changes to factory default settings, (but don't create a new user profile), the changes are not reset to factory defaults each time I turn off/on the camera. Latest changes are always "in memory" - also after changing lenses. Effectively, the changes I have made have become MY default (not factory default). This to me seems correct.

However, when I create a user profile for a specific shooting condition, the camera decides that MY default should become Factory default. Why, when a reset option for factory defaults is provided? 

Now, I have to create another user profile as MY default and make necessary changes for shooting conditions not set as a profile. This leaves with only 3 user profiles for specific shooting conditions, such as flash (ISO and shutter speed pre selected), long exposure/tripod (optical stabilisation turned off - sometimes I forget to turn this off with SL lens), M lens (Aperture mode with min shutter speed limited to @ 1/f and spot metering). Rest of the settings are the same in all profiles - like AF field size, jpg settings, Auto ISO range, AF assist lamp, auto review and GPS off, etc. 

Shortcuts assigned also get reset to factory default! 

@SU25:

Why do you go back to the default profile? The default profile is supposed to present the camera to you as configured for the factory defaults. Copyright information is not set in the factory defaults. The only reason to go to the default profile is to use the camera the way it was configured from the factory. 

I start with the camera on the default profile, configure it as I'm going to use it for most purposes, and save that to User 1. That becomes MY default.

Then I modify that on the fly for what I want for another purpose and save that for User 2, switch back to User 1, modify again, save for User 3, etc. Each time naming the new configuration for its intended purpose. 

Only load the default profile when you want to use the camera as provided by the factory defaults or want to start the configuration process over from that point. Changes made to the default profile cannot be saved to the default profile, by definition, because then it would no longer be the default profile. 

Edited by su25

It should be nice to have the possibility to shoot wireless (tethered) with image shuttle with PC or Mac.

Now it's working on tablet and mobile phones, I like this but working wireless / wifi on desktop/laptop would be interesting.

This gives more freedom in studio and on events if you need instant printing.

Edited by Peter E
  • Like 1

Let us stop here and ask Leica for FW 3.1 with the suggested improvements in September. 

+ format card 1 and card 2 in one step. 

I don't think that would be good engineering.  Each chip has to be read for bad records and un-erasable stuff while being formatted so the two formats are not just writing the same stuff to the two chips, but are two independent actions.  And you are only saving two button presses, once the menu is open to the right place.

Agree, that by definition, factory default is that set by Leica. However, when I make changes to factory default it becomes MY default. There is a "reset" option to reset the camera to factory default settings. 

Moreover, when I make changes to factory default settings, (but don't create a new user profile), the changes are not reset to factory defaults each time I turn off/on the camera. Latest changes are always "in memory" - also after changing lenses. Effectively, the changes I have made have become MY default (not factory default). This to me seems correct.

However, when I create a user profile for a specific shooting condition, the camera decides that MY default should become Factory default. Why, when a reset option for factory defaults is provided? 

Now, I have to create another user profile as MY default and make necessary changes for shooting conditions not set as a profile. This leaves with only 3 user profiles for specific shooting conditions, such as flash (ISO and shutter speed pre selected), long exposure/tripod (optical stabilisation turned off - sometimes I forget to turn this off with SL lens), M lens (Aperture mode with min shutter speed limited to @ 1/f and spot metering). Rest of the settings are the same in all profiles - like AF field size, jpg settings, Auto ISO range, AF assist lamp, auto review and GPS off, etc. 

Shortcuts assigned also get reset to factory default! 

The SL camera's RESET operation is more extensive than choosing a default user profile. They're not the same thing. The manual lists precisely what a RESET operation affects (which includes erasing all the user profiles). 

My strategy is to make my first user profile the one that I actually use most of the time, rather than using the default user profile. I've never used the default user profile at all, except as a starting point to generate my user profiles. That means I have four fully configurable and useful user profiles, just what the camera says, not three as you seem to suggest, and not five, which is what you seem to want. "You can't always get what you want..." It's better to learn what the camera has and use it fully than just constantly complain that it doesn't do exactly what you personally want. 

I use the four user profiles the following way: 

1- R lenses :: all the usual settings and shortcuts I make for use with adapted R lenses, defaulting to 'Lux-R 50mm lens profile

2- SWC :: modification of the R lenses setting for my entertainment with ultra-wide squares crop and B&W rendering, defaulting to SER15 lens profile

3- SL AF :: usual settings I want for use with the SL dedicated lenses and Auto-Focus

4- SL Manual :: usual settings I want for use with the SL dedicated lenses and Manual focus

For me, that's enough. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I understand the point you are making. I know the camera's limitations for my use, and also know that I cannot probably use all features of the camera (video being one).  But, constantly complaining is not my intention. It may seem so to the reader. I have put this under "firmware 4.0 update wishes". If it cannot be fulfilled, I will continue to be happy and satisfied to be using my SL the way Leica has presented it. No complains. 

...... "You can't always get what you want..." It's better to learn what the camera has and use it fully than just constantly complain that it doesn't do exactly what you personally want. ........

I wonder if these three things are possible:

1. Video RAW via HDMI

2. Waveform overlay for video

3. WiFi connection to iPad/iPhone/Android while connected to an HDMI recorder

+1 for all three, but why only over HDMI output for the RAW output?  It's ~12 bits/pixel rather than 8 so this would require 150 Mb/s bandwidth, which SD cards can support.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Lexar sdxc 2000x supports 180 mbps write speed. I am more concerned with camera's ability to deliver 150 mbps via hdmi. Of course, an ability to record RAW internally would be awesome, but convenience of focus peaking, false color and waveforms on a 7" screen makes it totally worth the bulk

And don't get me started on how they removed the option to turn exposure preview OFF in P,A and S modes plus removed the half press option I used every single day...........

What was Leica's logic making exposure preview mandatory?  I liked having it turned off.  I had a nice bright EVF and the histogram showed the exposure.  Essentially like using a dSLR with a live histo.  Now, I go outside and need dial in -EC (because we have bright sun in Texas) and all I get is dark / dim EVF...  That's pretty pointless...  I guess this "new" way is better for somebody.  Hope they are happy, 'cause some of us got skrewed...

Maybe number 12 (?): A feature long ago asked for, but forgotten in the meantime.  Battery percentage indicator

(if the mobile phone can do it ...)

Not terribly important, but a "standard feature" in every modern device.  (I know that there are the four lines/bars, but they are not very precise).

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

And maybe 13 (?):  Make exposure preview selectable (On/Offable  :D ).

Wasn't this always the idea behind all the requests regarding preview ?  To have a switch to control the favorite behavior of preview. There is no simple solution that makes everybody happy at all times.   (A  always off,  B  always on,  C sticky (stays on after shutter press), D starts as off, is activated by half-press and falls back to off after customizable time-out.... maybe there are even more possibilities ?)

Somebody will know from another camera what is the best scenario....     I am open to suggestions, simply because I do not know what is the best for everybody.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

And maybe 13 (?):  Make exposure preview selectable (On/Offable  :D ).

Wasn't this always the idea behind all the requests regarding preview ?  To have a switch to control the favorite behavior of preview. There is no simple solution that makes everybody happy at all times.   (A  always off,  B  always on,  C sticky (stays on after shutter press), D starts as off, is activated by half-press and falls back to off after customizable time-out.... maybe there are even more possibilities ?)

Somebody will know from another camera what is the best scenario....     I am open to suggestions, simply because I do not know what is the best for everybody.

There were complaints that having the camera select a bright image (properly exposed in its judgement), and correct it to exposure preview with a half-press was too complicated, and that bird-shooters wanted preview always on, especially when their quarry was in shadow and they wished to expose for the bird not for the tree or the sky.  And studio photography with flash uses a calculated exposure with the viewfinder used for framing but not exposure. So really there are at least three states, ON always, on when you HALF-PRESS, and OFF (for the flash folks).  That seemed too complicated to Leica, apparently, so they went to ON, except for OFF in a manual mode, which is intended for studio flash.  Maybe in the next iteration they will loosen up on this.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I have no angst over Leica adding options - that's all good and typically a win-win.  But taking away a function in the course of this "improvement" is bad.  Yesterday I had to shoot -2 EC to hold highlights at golden hour, so the EVF was very dark.  One option is to shoot full manual, but the EVF brightness seemed alot of less than before (firmware 2.2).  Plus, I don't want to shoot the SL in full manual for the rest of my time with the camera...

I tried to roll back to firmware 2.2, but the camera wouldn't allow it.  And given that my 24-90 and 90-280mm updated their firmware when attached to SL (after its 3.0 update), who knows how those lenses would behave on a SL with firmware 2.2...

The only option here is to hope Leica puts back an option to disable exposure preview.  It's such a simple thing and the camera did it before... so frustrating...  

Exposure preview options are easily fixable so everybody is happy. Just have a sub menu.

Exposure Perview:

>>>>>>>>>>>> OFF   :  HALF PRESS:   ALWAYS ON

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>        PAS:   PASM

Done. Now you can have every option you want. I don't know why this is so hard. The M has more options for exposure preview...

And while you're at it make ALL the modes available with TTL flash ALL the time.

Gordon

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...