Battery Charging in Scotland

Bill W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you are staying in hotel rooms, 98% will have a hair dryer built in anyway and the other 2% will have one at the reception, no need to buy or take one.

Worst case scenario: buy one in the UK if needed (but it would not be the kind of place I would stay in ;) )

Now if you were heading into the wilderness in a third-world country it might be a different story, but there are gas-operated hair curlers.

If you are staying in hotel rooms, 98% will have a hair dryer anyway and the other 2% will have one at the reception, no need to buy or take one.

Worst case scenario: buy one in the UK if needed.

Thanks jaapv that's what we figured but there are a couple of places where we are staying that will probably not have many conveniences like a hair dryer. 

The first image is the type C plug used by most non-earthed European gear,

The second is the most common Schuko-type plug used in Europe for earthed  connections.

The third the type G found in the UK

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Images from Worldstandards.eu

• Like 1

In the UK, we get all three plugs in the box.

In Norway, they get very sexy folding UK three-pin plugs with iPhone purchases - it would be great if these were available over here too as they are ideal for travelling.

• Like 1

In the UK, we get all three plugs in the box.

In Norway, they get very sexy folding UK three-pin plugs with iPhone purchases - it would be great if these were available over here too as they are ideal for travelling.

In the US we get a teeny cube with the iPhone, handy but the prongs don't fold. iPads get a larger cube but with folding prongs, also handy for travel. For international travel though I just use the multi port USB adapter I linked to above, I carry two phones plus my Western Digital backup drive is USB powered so that is much easier than three separate adapters.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bill,

Another option is a voltage converter ... will down convert the 220-250 to 110. Most have two settings on them ... 2000w and 20w ....

This is an example that can handle 600w ....

https://www.amazon.com/Yubi-Power-Converter-Electronic-Versatile/dp/B06XS9KSYX/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1496771095&sr=8-8&keywords=220+voltage+converter+to+110

I usually carry one of these and about 6 plug adapters as most chargers are universal for 110/220. Hair dryers and curlers are the exception ... you specifically have to look for universal 

models. And some multi voltage units will have a switch ... if you do not put it on the right setting ... it will get smoked in a seconds. Over the years we have melted a number of appliances ... mainly the above when someone forgets to move the switch on the curlers or plugs them into the 20w setting on the converter.

Most of these lightweight converters will hum or buzz when in use and may get a bit warm to the touch ... just a cheap transformer making the conversion.

With phones iPads laptops and camera batteries you can end up using a bunch of adapters ...

Luckily UK and Europe has stable voltage ... Africa some Asia and S America countries can have severe wide fluctuations in current that will smoke anything down the line or will be insufficient for

the unit.

As an aside ... you can plug the adapters into each other to minimize volume when traveling.

Edited by docmoore

We will be there starting the 16th for two weeks. I do not have the exact itinerary as the wife and her sister planned it out. Their father was from Scotland.

Very nice. My trip is for my wife, she's a huge Harry Potter fan so we're going to ride the Jacobite Express that was used in the films, eat at a cafe that J. K. Rowling wrote one of the books in, then take the train to London to see the stage show which I bought tickets for last August and visit the film studio in Watford.

After that we'll just hang out in London for a few days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As well as US, European and UK leads (the latter supplied separately outside the box) my Leica charger bought in the UK came with a 12v car cigarette type lead. If the US market also gets supplied with such a lead, and if you are hiring a car, then that might be another possibility.

Could I just point out also that the two pin shaver plug has different dimensions to the to pin continental Europe plug.

• Like 1

As well as US, European and UK leads (the latter supplied separately outside the box) my Leica charger bought in the UK came with a 12v car cigarette type lead. If the US market also gets supplied with such a lead, and if you are hiring a car, then that might be another possibility.

Yes we do get the 12v option in the US. I plan to bring it with me.