M monochrome limited jim marshall set

Kamyar

None of the M240-based special editions seem to have stepped beyond mere cosmetic makeovers, and most of them have been simply variations of colour schemes and/or playing with filled or unfilled markings on lens or camera body, which frankly is all quite disappointing. 

I'd personally love to see more efforts and thoughts on unique designs touching upon the physical shape of certain parts of the camera that reach such levels as what we've seen on the M9-based Special editions, like the Hermes edition with the unique slope design on the top plate, or the M9 Titanium with its overall redesign and the LED illuminated frame lines. Simply changing the colour schemes, or branding essentially unfilled markings as part of the "special" features of the camera is laziness.

And to answer the OP's question, the Jim Marshall edition of the MM246 is OK. Not particularly attractive, but not too bad either.

A bit uninspired. 

Edited by Rus
  • Like 3

The Jim Marshall Set? Demagnetize the aesthetic style compass so it points due south. Send out a memo to every member of the Jim Marshall Leica style team that the marching orders are Oscar Wilde's quip, "Nothing succeeds like excess." Forget class, focus on Kitsch. Take the classic brass of the Lux 50 #11688 and the brass of the M246 and give it a "Laiton" brass-finish, so when the finish wears away, we see the brass underneath. Brass finish on brass. How is that for brash?

The Jim Marshall design team sits in the room at Wetzlar, brainstorming, when a voice rises from the back of the room, "How about the M246 with the Limited Edition Lux 50mm, both in black paint? It would bring back the idea of Jim Marshall's M4 when he first bought it, wouldn't it?"

"Didn't you get the memo? We are not going for Leica classic understated. We are going for Kitsch on this one."

Again, from the back of the room comes, "One last question. Does the lens hood still fall off the Lux 50 when we put a filter on the lens?"

Buyers will want to ask whether the on-going problem of the lens hood that falls off of the Limited Edition Black chrome Summilux-M 50mm applies to this reissue.

Some may love the Jim Marshall Set, but I am not one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks Firends.

I can pay this ( 13000) . But I have a question, not better leica sl with 24-90 & 90-280 to I get paid more? Leica sl with both lenses in leica store in cash is 16500$ . Better our not ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh, shucks. I suppose my very old M4 is passe now.

brassedm4.jpg

Seriously, you are going to have to check your spelling; it's not "passe" but "posse!" That's what you're going to have to fight off when they get wind of your M4 beauty! You have at once solved the Leica scratch and wear issue? Awesome! We need you on the Leica Style Team!

Thanks Firends.

I can pay this ( 13000) . But I have a question, not better leica sl with 24-90 & 90-280 to I get paid more? Leica sl with both lenses in leica store in cash is 16500$ . Better our not ?

If one buys it for using rather than collecting, then...

...with that money I'd get an M10 and perhaps a few nice lenses.

But if spending money on special edition is what I'm after, I'd go for the M9 titanium or the Hermes edition. At least those are considerably more difficult to replicate or copy because of their unique body designs. 

While the Jim Marshall edition per se is not offensive to the eye to the extent that it is despicable, the lethargy of mind that led to the "design" of it, and indeed to many other "special" editions these days, is. 

Edited by Rus
  • Like 2

Hi Kamyar,

Looking at your photos at NatGeo, it's mainly wide angle. If that's your preference, than an MM is a good choice, or even better a M10. I wouldn't pay extras for any "limited edition". 

On the other hand, the SL and the 2 zooms are beautiful, though a bit heavy to lug around all day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In person, the Jim Marshall set is extremely nice. In spite of its exclusivity (just 50 sets) and the fact that it includes a limited edition Jim Marshall print, numbered book and a nice custom strap, a $1000 premium really isn't excessive at all. In my mind, even though it's a special edition, I see the camera as one to be used. The M Monochrom turns out stunning quality images, so the camera isn't just for show, either. 

I was able to get my hands on one of the first ones and did a detailed unboxing video if you'd like to see the set in more detail:

• Like 5

Hi everyone. What you think about LEICA M MONOCHROM (TYP 246) “JIM MARSHALL SET” WITH LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50 MM F/1.4 ASPH (ED. 50)? This price is fair ( 13000 $ ) ?

For me, The Jim Marshall set is the first special edition M that begs to be used mercilessly. Even the price reflects it.

OTOH the collectors will be happy.

In the long run, maybe and maybe not. I bought a limited edition platinum M6 thinking it would be a good investment. I kept it unused for 20 years and sold it. My profit was $20. It was nice to look at from time to time, but as an investment I'd have been far better off buying stocks.

Part of me likes it for some strange reason but the other part thinks its just too Kravetzed.

I like the book, the print, and the strap. I'd use it a lot so any investment value would be lost, though it doesn't look very investment quality any better than

what is in my retirement accounts. For the money, I think I'd wait for an M10 after the bugs are worked out. Besides, my MMI is off for a new sensor and

CLA, so I'll have a new monchrom. I can buy a lot of books and straps for $13000.

i agree. on the whole, if i didn't already have the M246 and 50 Lux Asph. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and use it. Considering the package, the premium is negligible and given its rarity it will hold its value wether used or not

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread seems void of anyone who's actually purchased one...so I'll weigh-in.  Josh and David at Leica Store Miami scored one for me.  Its beautiful. Was the thousand dollar plus premium over assembling the same standard black MM body/Summilux 50 f1.4 lens combo justified?  Depends on one's objective.  For me, replicating the unique finish/appearance would have easily exceeded the stated premium were I to have shipped a standard set to say Kanto and asked them to create that appearance (presuming I'd had the creative juice to even think of trying to strike that look onto one of the MM bodies and lens).  

So as to ground that statement, I've been in detailed collaborative discussions with Kanto via Bellamy Hunt at Japan Camera Hunter in regard to having them replicate this finish on other Leica lenses with brass barrels.  The idea is to have an identical finish on all additional lenses, i.e.; 28mm, 35mm, etc.  Vanity at its apogee?  Absolutely.  Fits my OCD world-view quite nicely, thank you very much.   

Are the other little bits and pieces that accompany the "set" cool?  Yep, they are.  Is this set going to be worth "more" someday?  I'll never know as two of my children, one son and one daughter, both of whom are deep in B&W photography have already made passing comments to each other that would, if heard in the abstract outside of familial circles, give cause to thoughts of "Restraining Orders".

Did I initially contemplate thoughts of it being a Safe Queen?  Guilty, guilty, guilty.  But then I talked to Josh and he had some pragmatic thoughts.  Well then, there's also the fact that it arrived a few weeks ago and I opened the box; its going to Nepal with me this spring, along with my Q. Guess I'll find out how well both of them fair above 20,000 feet.  

In the end it accomplishes everything I wanted in a B&W only digital RF camera and.... it looks really sick.  I'm so happy I didn't pick up an MM/Lens combo from Josh when I attended his Q class several months ago.  Would wager he is too.

I could counterpoint this about now with my views as to brand equity and dilution where Leica's seemingly endless "Limited Editions" come in, but that's for another time.