Dust in M10 Viewfinder

thomi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also got some dust inside, but much less then you have. Hence, it doesn't bother me at all. If my viewfinder starts collecting more dust, I will probably visit Leica Wetzlar for cleaning the mess up. In your particular case, it really looks/feels disturbing.

I also got some dust inside, but much less then you have. Hence, it doesn't bother me at all. If my viewfinder starts collecting more dust, I will probably visit Leica Wetzlar for cleaning the mess up. In your particular case, it really looks/feels disturbing.

If like thomi the problem is an incorrect mounting of the viewfinder seal allowing the dust to enter from the outside then the situation would only have got worse and I didn't want to take that chance so its away for sorting at Leica Mayfair via my dealer. Whether they tell me what the problem was I don't know but if I find out I will report back.

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It must definitely be a general problem. Only 10 days after my camera came back from cleaning by Leica, 

- the viewfinder ist full of dust again (I don not have any dust in all my other M Leica; not even in my 60 year old M3)

- the rubber ring fell off

I am convinced, that this is a design error and has to be solved. Leica is normally relatively slow in recognising such general problems.

Edited by thomi

I'm not sure whether it is a general design problem, as the number of complaints is limited, but there certainly is something wrong with your camera. So much dust in ten days?

How do you know, that the number of complaints is limited?

The M10 should be the best sealed M ever. But at this point it sucks dust in.

The sealing has been replaced 10 days ago by Leica. So it can not be a mounting problem again.

So what else can it be than a design error??? Or is it designed to suck in dust. So please call it a Dyson.

This forum is a collector of complaints. If it were a general problem we would have a substantial thread of dust-filled posts.

I suspect that the rubber ring is part of the sealing, and others have apparently not been falling off.

However, the most amazing thing is the amount of dust inside the camera, it looks like it was assembled in a barn. I would communicate directly with CS Wetzlar about this, both by mail and phone.

• 4 weeks later...

Okular2crop.jpg

It must definitely be a general problem. Only 10 days after my camera came back from cleaning by Leica,

- the viewfinder ist full of dust again (I don not have any dust in all my other M Leica; not even in my 60 year old M3)

I am convinced, that this is a design error and has to be solved. Leica is normally relatively slow in recognising such general problems.

Mine got dust in as well, I guess the dust were sucked in by static electronic generated from rubbing the viewfinder and clothes when camera was crossing over shoulder.

• 7 months later...

heavy dust in the ViewFinder (VF) of my 3-month M10.

No exposure in dusty conditions, only 3 months after 3000 shots.

I am asking Leica to clean it.

But I am not sure if it's free, since I don't have any document with me right now.

all the M10 should be in the warranty, because the first release is only about 1 year by now, isn't it?

I can feel air blowing on my eyeball when focussing a 75 Summicron... seems to breathe through the viewfinder (or very slightly below, possibly through the upper led?) so something is not 100% sealed, probably how the dust gets in?

Just compared it wth an M6 - not happening at all.

Edited by PCPix

• 3 weeks later...

I have had dust on my eyepiece since about 2 weeks post purchase. Some of the larger grey particles shown the OP’s first photo are what showed up right away and then tiny ones gradually thereafter. 

In wanting to take a whack at removing those three screws to possibly access the other side of the eyepiece, I found that the rubber protector comes off fairly easily if prying it like a bike tire, it has a plug that fits into the notch seen in the photos. But in addition to the three screws holding it secure, the eyepiece is also glued to the body, so I did not go beyond the removal of the screws to get at the dust.

I don't mind working on my own camera, I am well acquainted with doing things like adjusting both the horizontal and vertical RF alignments ( 2mm allen for M240 / M10 ). It sure as heck beats waiting weeks for something that can be done in less than 30 minutes, not to be the case with dust removal I guess.

And funny how after 11 years of continual use my 62 year old M3 never goes out of alignment and has zero dust in it.

Edited by Reciprocity

I can feel air blowing on my eyeball when focussing a 75 Summicron... seems to breathe through the viewfinder (or very slightly below, possibly through the upper led?) so something is not 100% sealed, probably how the dust gets in?

Just compared it wth an M6 - not happening at all.

Maybe the improved environmental sealing of the M10 has this adverse effect: Air „pumped“ into the body by the lens barrel during focussing has to go somewhere. If there is a tiny leak around the viewfinder, this could channel air and dust that way. I would not think that the Leica engineers would place an intentional ‚vent‘ at such an odd position, but it would be interesting to hear their take on the matter... Edited by schattenundlicht

attachicon.gifOkular2crop.jpg

What is disconcerting, is that the problem reappeared after cleaning. If it were a technically recognized problem, it should have been solved for good.Please keep us updated!

What is (somewhat) reassuring, is the small number of reports in comparison with the large M10 user base in this forum.

• 7 months later...

3 months ago I noticed one dust in my rear viewfinder. Now there's at least 3. I'm not sending it in for cleaning yet but if it accumulates at this rate, I'll have to send it back at some point! My M240 never had dust in the viewfinder. I never use them in dusty conditions and rarely change lenses. If I do, it's indoors in a clean environment.

I have also been victim to dust in the viewfinder's ocular. Leica Mayfair cleaned it "as best they could" which has got rid of everything apart from a few flecks (which doesn't have any affect on the operation of the viewfinder). They did this under warranty along with a sensor clean.

I do recall using the camera once in a particularly dusty environment during a festival, but other than that it is the normal level of dust you would expect when walking the streets of a city.

I too suffered with dust in viewfinder. 

I spoke to Leica Mayfair who offered to clean it but as it would be a full days travel there and back I asked them about cleaning it myself. Got some good advise and with some trepidation undid the 3 small screws, the ring is then held on with double sided tape which took a little bit of prising to take off, acheived without any damage marks at all. A little dust off with a lens cloth and easy reassemble. Good to go.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I have dust inside my mp too

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!