Leica Q system error

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There have been discussions about the mysterious "system error" sometimes occurring on the Q after switching on the camera.

This was a know issue with earlier firmware but should no longer be the case after firmware 2.0.

That said, it happened several times on my brand new Q and I decided to send in the camera for inspection to Leica in Wetzlar after having been in touch with them to diagnose the issue.

Got the camera back with a note stating there is nothing wrong with the camera. The error message would be caused in situations where the camera has not been used for a longer time and the internal battery (not the rechargeable battery pack) would have gone empty. Before it charges itself again (taking power from the rechargeable battery pack), there would be a brief moment when it has no power at all, and that would be causing the error message. Switching the camera off and on again takes care of it.

Thought this might be helpful for some others here as well.

Pascal

• Like 7

I am most pleased to hear this.  During March, I had three brand new cameras start up with "System Error."  I returned all three back to the vendor until I received a fourth that booted up normally.  I was dealing too with Leica USA and they insinuated that this could be a deeper problem.  I feel better now about my new Q; however, I still don't know how, given the velocity of sales, that a new Q could sit on the shelf long enough for the internal battery to die.

Edited by falcon468

... however, I still don't know how, given the velocity of sales, that a new Q could sit on the shelf long enough for the internal battery to die.

Don't assume the batteries are charged when installed in the camera.  Who knows how long they've been sitting in a warehouse, on the production line, etc.

That said, the "low battery" theory doesn't quite match reports of the issue.  I don't think I'm the only one who got that error after updating firmware with well charged batteries.

That said, the "low battery" theory doesn't quite match reports of the issue.  I don't think I'm the only one who got that error after updating firmware with well charged batteries.

Yes, I must also admit that the explanation given by the Leica customer service does not fully satisfy me as I have had it twice while in use and I do not recall that the camera had not been used for a long time (the first time was after booting the camera from its sales packaging, so that may have been the internal battery indeed). So far, I have had 3 instances of "system error". Time will tell if the explanation holds or not.

• 10 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got my Q in late December of 2017.  My experience with the error message suggests that the internal battery being discharged may not be correct.  I carry my Q with me just about every day, and use it nearly as often.  I get the error message every now and then, and it clears when I power off the Q and power it on again, though once it would only power off by removing the battery.

eh...I have had my Q stall out on me. Just turned it off and back on again. It's a computer. That's what happens with a computer and that's how you fix a computer.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bags27
  • Like 2

I have researched a lot on the Internet on this issue, to no avail.

I suggest Leica Q owners to take this “System Error” seriously. I think the Error has something to do with the lense trying to achieve autofocus immediately after it is powered on. Something stops the lens from achieving the AF and the camera freezes. I had to turn it off and on like 5 or 6 times in order to work. I became so frustrated to the point that I had to send mine to Leica USA. Guess what, it took them 10 weeks to fix the problem. Their excuse is necessary part had to come from oversea. Mine fortunately is still under warranty and the invoice indicated “lens, complete, one unit.” I have no idea what that means. New lens?

Lesson learned, send your camera to Leica for repair now!

• Like 1

As is well documented by me, the first three Q cameras that I purchased, all booted up initially with "System Error" and immediately returned them all.  I reported the problem to Leica USA and they thought that it was serious. I purchased a fourth, and that one booted up correctly. While rebooting seems to solve the problem, I do not believe the camera is designed to do this.  I have heard of stale internal batteries and the OIS getting roughed up, but I do not believe any of those to be contributors to this problem.  By the way, I sent all of the serial numbers of the first three to Leica Germany and never heard back from them. 

• Like 1

Guest jvansmit

Mine fortunately is still under warranty and the invoice indicated “lens, complete, one unit.” I have no idea what that means. New lens?

Lesson learned, send your camera to Leica for repair now!

I had a similar notation on the invoice about 14 months ago when the indent inside the manual/autofocus tab wouldn't engage when switching back to autofocus. The dealer told me that the entire lens assembly had to be replaced as it's not a serviceable unit.

Leica quoted HKD 12,550 ($1,608). for the repair as they maintained that the warranty was void as there was a small scratch approx 3mm long on the bottom plate where I had scraped the camera against some concrete.

When I complained that the fault had no relationship to the scratch, Leica eventually agreed on my paying 10% of the cost with the dealer adding another 10%.

Edited by jvansmit

At first, based on a few superficial forum posts on the Internet, I did not care much about occasional “rebooting” to clear the “System Error” although I did not believe the error is caused by a weak battery or the camera prolonged inactivity/infrequent use. But the error had gotten worse, it occurred more frequently and “rebooting” 5, 6, even 7 times in order for the camera to work is simply too much, especially it is a Leica! I finally decided to call Leica USA to get a repair authorization and send it in.

In short, I just want to raise the awareness that the “System Error” could be a signal for a more serious problem. Leica Q owners should have Leica professionals check the camera when it is still under warranty.

Good luck.

At first, based on a few superficial forum posts on the Internet, I did not care much about occasional “rebooting” to clear the “System Error” although I did not believe the error is caused by a weak battery or the camera prolonged inactivity/infrequent use. But the error had gotten worse, it occurred more frequently and “rebooting” 5, 6, even 7 times in order for the camera to work is simply too much, especially it is a Leica! I finally decided to call Leica USA to get a repair authorization and send it in.

In short, I just want to raise the awareness that the “System Error” could be a signal for a more serious problem. Leica Q owners should have Leica professionals check the camera when it is still under warranty.

Good luck.

I really think that you did the right thing.  When I first started posting about this, many just blew off the discussion, despite me being told by Leica USA that this was potentially a "fatal error."

• Like 1