Q Firmware & Software Updates Coming?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pentax just released its K-1 FF update as K-1 MkII. Like the Leica Q, the K-1's initially released specifications were pretty well maxed out from the start, receiving universal acclaim. Thus, the 2-years-update took the form of an accelerator added to the motherboard, not physical items like weather sealing (it already was) or an articulating screen (already had a unique and brilliant implementation of that). Nor was there much to do in the way of firmware tweaks. The Leica Q strikes me the same way - a hard act to follow, even by itself. Pentax, however, is offering to install in any existing K-1 the new K-1II motherboard, for 1/4 of the cost of the new camera. Here we have a new and generous approach to customer satisfaction, and an industry challenge. I have seen several comments, in several Leica forums, that people who RECENTLY bought the Q don't want to see a Q2 that deprives them of some new features. A company selling a $4K+ camera might wish to follow Pentax's lead and offer new motherboard installation for a fee, or, at the VERY least, the updated Q2 firmware (for surely it would simply be an "update" of the existing Q1 version 2.0 firmware) as version 3.0 for the existing Q. Coming from the elegant user interface and menu implementations of Pentax, I see many things that would be welcome refreshments in the Q as simple firmware updates (programability of that red button, for a start).

• Like 3

Interesting thought. thanks for the insight.

I just don't know to what extent Leica thinks that way. I know that Leica has replaced degraded sensors in M cameras (but that's really a post-warranty issue), and, certainly in the current digital world tradition means very little, so Leica might do what you suggest, and that could be exciting! Leica has always stood for getting out of the way of the photographer, but now, with digital generally and the current explosion of technology in mirrorless cameras, precisely how much is Leica going to be drawn into the world of constant and rapid refinement? I'm sure that's a question they've been asking themselves constantly. There is no way that Leica can win that game against companies with deep pockets (especially of course, Sony).

What you suggest may well be an interesting middle ground, especially for the Q with its attached lens: don't change the camera--change the motherboard.

I expect to see a Q2 someday with the three button interface on the latest CL and M10. This would require a dedicated ISO dial. I expect a better design for the shutter button and continuous versus single shutter actuation. I’d love to see a return to a cable release as part of that. Perhaps there’s a new sensor in the works and that’ll be a key foundational element to a new Q. The lens is already so good I would not think they’d change it. I absolutely do not believe they’ll change the focal length given how the current Q is optimized for size with AF. They don’t want a bigger lens. It’s fun to imagine what will someday arrive. Until then, keep shooting the Q and loving it. My 2 cents.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 4

A Q2 will have some physical changes, I agree.  And the firmware necessarily would be Q2-specific for that reason alone.  But "along the way," so to speak, I think it certain that several of any new Q2 firmware features would be applicable to and welcomed by existing users of Q1.  It would be churlish, I think, not to update Q1's with ver. 3.0 firmware of some features that might appear as new on any Q2

• Like 1

A Q2 will have some physical changes, I agree.  And the firmware necessarily would be Q2-specific for that reason alone.  But "along the way," so to speak, I think it certain that several of any new Q2 firmware features would be applicable to and welcomed by existing users of Q1.  It would be churlish, I think, not to update Q1's with ver. 3.0 firmware of some features that might appear as new on any Q2. 

Mark--you do know that a 3.0 update is "reliably rumored" to be in the works, right?

• Like 1

Mark--you do know that a 3.0 update is "reliably rumored" to be in the works, right?

Yes, certainly.  And I'm hopeful that the rumor solidifies.  I have reservations because announcing version 3.0 would not hurt but would rather speed sales of the existing Q (assuming production has not already ceased and stocks exist to be had).  Many people apparently have paused purchase of Q1 awaiting Q2.  Knowing Q1 firmware update is imminent would get many people off of the fence, knowing they can start enjoying Q with Ver 2.0 TODAY, and update the firmware soon.  I decided a camera in the hand is worth 3.0 in the bush and bought a silver Q three weeks ago.  A Q2 now would not bother me unless some obvious and easy firmware improvements were not also made available to Q1 owners.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, certainly.  And I'm hopeful that the rumor solidifies.  I have reservations because announcing version 3.0 would not hurt but would rather speed sales of the existing Q (assuming production has not already ceased and stocks exist to be had).  Many people apparently have paused purchase of Q1 awaiting Q2.  Knowing Q1 firmware update is imminent would get many people off of the fence, knowing they can start enjoying Q with Ver 2.0 TODAY, and update the firmware soon.  I decided a camera in the hand is worth 3.0 in the bush and bought a silver Q three weeks ago.  A Q2 now would not bother me unless some obvious and easy firmware improvements were not also made available to Q1 owners.

For me, if new firmware improves shadow banding, the Q will be almost perfect. Even as it is right now, I am fairly certain that I will not upgrade to a Q2.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jvansmit

I expect a better design for the shutter button and continuous versus single shutter actuation.

I like the Q's shutter button a lot, and hope they don't change it with the Q2. It's stiff, easy to quickly click through to continuous when needed, and I don't have any issues switching to continuous by mistake.

• 3 months later...