Q Firmware & Software Updates Coming?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the SL updates to firmware and mobile apps being announced, and solicitations for M10 firmware beta testers, can the Q be far behind?

The iPhone APP really needs to understand RAW files.  I often only carry the Q and my iPhone but shooting RAW requires me to have a dongle to read the card into the phone.

Various Q firmware "features" have been desired for almost a year now.

One can hope.

hope the Q will not have such short and lonely life as the X-Vario - dead after just one generation

a 50mm Q - with quality on par with 50SL, focus on par with 28mm Q, in a package the size of a Q :) now that would be a fine thing..

• Like 2

a 50mm Q - with quality on par with 50SL, focus on par with 28mm Q, in a package the size of a Q :) now that would be a fine thing..

Q28 + Q50 and who will need SL?...... that's why its never gonna happen

• Like 1

I would be very surprised to see any new firmware updates to the Q anytime soon.  I would love to have seen a Q with a tilting rear LCD screen and weatherproofing.  I think Leica is pushing their more expensive interchangeable lens cameras at the expense of the Q.

• Like 1

hope the Q will not have such short and lonely life as the X-Vario - dead after just one generation

The X-Vario, while interesting, did not have the success needed to sustain production.

The Q is selling very well and has already become a cult item.  I often have the 50mm frame lines active for compositions, then can adjust in post.  Yes, the resulting 50mm image does not have 24 meg but haven't we all sold images that were only 8 to 12 meg?

The current Q is near-perfect for me in actual use, not desk comparisons.  

Updates would make it even better.

Closer to perfection via firmware:

DNG workflow from Q to mobile device.

Preview mode zoom to focus point.

Named "user"s -- I use portrait/landscape/street/general 

Closer to perfection via hardware update:

Joystick to replace the unfriendly multi-controller/set thing.  I could press a joystick to simulate the "set" button.

More pronounced "zoom" button

Video mode set by power selector - off/single/continuous/video -- no more accidental videos

Perfection that would never happen:

Removable Summilux Q 28/1.7 with M mount so that we could use traditional M lenses! -- a mini-M with EVF rather than RF.

• Like 1

the only change i really want is to disable that STUPID VIDEO BUTTON..... i have lost several images this past winter because of it....

having said that --- i do not believe any firmware updates are on the way for the Q-- as i recall the SL has had at least 1 prior firmware update before this current one and the Q did not get a firmware update to mirror that one. . .

the only change i really want is to disable that STUPID VIDEO BUTTON..... i have lost several images this past winter because of it....

having said that --- i do not believe any firmware updates are on the way for the Q-- as i recall the SL has had at least 1 prior firmware update before this current one and the Q did not get a firmware update to mirror that one. . .

It's in the current firmware...  Menu --> Mode Lock Photo/Video --> On

It will disable the video record button in all display modes except the video display mode (the one with the camera icon).

My only wish is for an LCD display mode that will show the entire frame without cutting off any portion of it.  The current full view still cuts off the bottom of the frame with a half shutter press (makes framing harder when focusing/recomposing); I've resorted to relying on the EVF for proper framing when possible.

Edited by kismetsky
  • Like 1

I think I am one of the few people who is perfectly satisfied with the current firmware :)

You are not alone, while a couple of issues could be resolved, I can live with the Q as it is right now.

The only thing I'd like to have is a favorites menu like in the M10.

• Like 1

You are not alone, while a couple of issues could be resolved, I can live with the Q as it is right now.

The only thing I'd like to have is a favorites menu like in the M10.

So... Not quite perfect, ad not quite satisfied, right?   :p

One issue, which would enhance the user interface, is the ability to switch from left to right in submenus as well as from right to left. That is not possible now. In practice: setting up the SET button to change picture taking modes from PASM to pano and back, takes way too many clicks because one has to go back and forth. A continuous "loop" style menu cannot be that hard to program.

Another usability issue should be the ability to switch the direction of the automatic pano mode. Now it is confined to left to right only, which is limiting.

• Like 1

I just want the option to turn off Long Exposure Noise Reduction. Photography is just a hobby for me and I've only been into it for about 10 years, but in those 10 years, every digital camera I've owned has had the option to turn off Noise Reduction, except for the Q. I don't understand why we can't have this option...

• 4 months later...

I think it would be very convenient to be able to change the function of this video button.