Updated SL App no longer finding camera

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The SL App used to work. I have updated the App today to the latest version. My SL connects just fine to one of my wifi networks, if I set it to join a network, the DHCP awards it an IP address and I can access the camera via a browser by typing in the IP address. However the SL App just endlessly searches for the camera. I have tried this with both my iPad Pro 12.9 and iPad Air2, both with the same inability to connect. Both iPads will connect via their browser. If I set the camera up to create a LAN and connect to this LAN via one of my iPads, again the iPad finds and connects to the LAN but the App cannot then find the camera. Are others having this problem? 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson: Seems to work fine here, I tested with fw 3.0 installed on the camera and the latest Leica SL app downloaded to both iPad and iPhone. 

I will delete the apps and reload them.

However, before I do that, the other thing I wonder concerns the main wifi network in my French house, which is an Apple 2.4 and 5gHz network. The master controller on this network is a Apple Time Capsule, which is connected with a Cat 6 cable to the Gigabit port on my Orange Livebox ADSL/2 modem/router, which also runs the DHCP IP assignment system. The Livebox has its own wifi network (dual frequency) but due to the location of the modem/router, does not cover the main parts of the house. In addition to the Time Capsule, the Apple Network has two further wifi repeaters, an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. I am going to go into the part of the house which has Livebox wifi, to see if the camera will connect via that. In which case I suspect it is a DHCP issue between the SL App on the iPads and the Apple wifi network. It is odd that Safari on the iPads can connect but not the SL App. 

Wilson

Update: I think the problem lies with the Orange France Livebox modem/router. The camera finds the Livebox wifi but will not join the Livebox network. I have tried both with a password and with network security temporarily disabled, both with no luck. I am not surprised. The Livebox is a horrible bit of junk but now if you use Orange as your internet ISP, you are no longer allowed to use a third party modem/router like you were until two years ago. I used to use a Draytek small business modem/router which worked perfectly. Unless you use Orange as your ISP, which is part of France Telecom and you have a cabling problem, you will get no help at all. It is in effect a government pseudo-monopoly out of the larger towns, which have fibre optic networks, not owned by Orange. 

My setup is an 802.11n WiFi network running on a Apple AirPort Extreme with extension by an Apple Airport Express at the other end of the condo. I connect to the outside world via an aDSL modem provided by ATT DSL-only network services @ up to 10Mbps. All of the in-home address assignment and DHCP is done locally on the AirPort Extreme, which translates through NAT to the ATT service, IIRC. I have various security protocols turned on and mandatory passwords, otherwise it's all very simple stuff.

The Leica SL app works flawlessly in this environment.

I had a similar problem to Wilson's. Had to delete and rediscover my WiFi on the camera, which includes re-entering the password. After that all works as expected.

Wilson, it sounds as if you may have two environments (residences in this case) with different gateway/router/APs that provide WiFi with the same SSID in both locations. That is also my circumstance. Deleting and rediscovering seems to be a cure in that case.

I had a similar problem to Wilson's. Had to delete and rediscover my WiFi on the camera, which includes re-entering the password. After that all works as expected.

Wilson, it sounds as if you may have two environments (residences in this case) with different gateway/router/APs that provide WiFi with the same SSID in both locations. That is also my circumstance. Deleting and rediscovering seems to be a cure in that case.

Done that about 5 times with no improvement. The camera can connect to the Apple Networks with no problem and then can be found with a browser on both a laptop or the browser (Safari or Opera) on my iPads by entering the IP address shown on the LCD of the camera. It is only the SL app that cannot find the camera. The camera will not connect to the Orange Livebox network for some unknown reason (DHCP problem would be my guess). In any case the Livebox wifi network is only available in a bedroom, where the telephone wire enters the house and its wifi is extremely feeble, which is why I have a secondary connected Apple wifi network. Sadly I cannot configure the system to allow the Apple Network to be the DHCP server, as that conflicts with the horrible Livebox, which has very limited customer configuration facilities and it insists on being the DHCP server for all networks connected to it. For example I cannot install my VPN at Modem level, like I had on the preceding Draytek Modem/Router. Hopefully M. Macron may drop on Orange/France Telecom from a great height, like the UK government has on British Telecom, to make them more customer orientated and allow better access to their cable network  for third party ISP's. Sadly most of these in France, still insist on the Livebox being used. 

is it just for local connection or do you want the camera to be on line? If it's just local connection you can use a little hub like a ravpower filehub plus. That has wifi, usb and a net port. Once connected to that you can take it back and forth to different LANs. It also lets you read sd cards - I originally bought it for travel with my M9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The idea was to save me keeping taking the SD card out of the camera for one or two technical photos, which I end up doing on vintage cameras and old Leica stuff most days. If you access via a browser, can get the JPEG full size but not the DNG, which supposedly I can get via the SL App if it was working. I find it very strange that Safari can access the camera via the network but SL App on the same iPad cannot. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

Update, I got it working once by connecting via the QR code and then setting up using the camera as a Leica network. I had hoped by installing the camera profile, that it might now connect via my normal network but still no luck. Unless I reconnect via the QR code, it will not connect a second time via the Camera network as the iPad appears to have lost the camera profile. The iPad finds the Leica wifi and connects to it but the SL app won't. I give up!  

The idea was to save me keeping taking the SD card out of the camera for one or two technical photos, which I end up doing on vintage cameras and old Leica stuff most days. If you access via a browser, can get the JPEG full size but not the DNG, which supposedly I can get via the SL App if it was working. I find it very strange that Safari can access the camera via the network but SL App on the same iPad cannot. 

SL and app updated, but I haven't yet figured out how to download DNG files!! Not sure whether the problem is because I store DNG+JPG on the same card.

Edit: I can download DNG file if I split storage of DNG and JPG files on different cards. 

Edited by su25

You set the Leica SL app to JPEGs, DNGs, or JPEG+DNG for download in its settings screen. No need to split storage. Once a camera is connected, tap the Menu button to get to the settings.

• Like 1