M10 Defect

sukk20

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica users,

I am a Leica user who lives in Korea and like to learn your experience.

I bought M10 three months ago and have used it very well until last Sunday.

Suddenly, I found a horizontal line in almost every photos which has more than ISO5000.

I went to Leica store service center in Korea and have them inspect. They told me that it looks like the sensor has defects.

So my M10 should be sent to Germany for repair for at least two months. They offered me a rent of Leica M240 during the repair period.

But I think that they should rent M10 for me because this is a clear manufacturer's defect. Why should I sacrifice even though I paid more than USD 9000 for a new product?

So, I like to get your feedbacks. How does your local Leica store respond to this kind of case? 

Thanks for sharing in advance!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by sukk20

Seems to me that if this a sensor defect you should communicate directly with Customer Service in Wetzlar and see if you they can schedule the repair for a future when they could do it within three weeks. 

BTW, is the retail price in Korea really US$9,000 or did you pay a premium to get the camera "early"?

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

So a reasonable approach for a Leica store to do for your scenario is to loan you a Leica M10 to compensate for yours that will be sent for repair. 

Perhaps they were reluctant to loan you because they are short of stock themselves, well looking at positive side, you have a M240 that was loaned to you for use in the meantime. 

Seems to me that if this a sensor defect you should communicate directly with Customer Service in Wetzlar and see if you they can schedule the repair for a future when they could do it within three weeks. 

BTW, is the retail price in Korea really US$9,000 or did you pay a premium to get the camera "early"?

Nowhereman, thanks for your reply. The retail price of M10 is USD 9000 in Korea, relatively high compared to other countries...

So a reasonable approach for a Leica store to do for your scenario is to loan you a Leica M10 to compensate for yours that will be sent for repair. 

Perhaps they were reluctant to loan you because they are short of stock themselves, well looking at positive side, you have a M240 that was loaned to you for use in the meantime. 

tyhsien, Thanks, you are exactly right. They don't want loan me M10 due to the shortage....

Personally I find an M240 as a loaner acceptable. The performance and use is quite comparable to the M10. When I get a loaner from my car dealer, it is usually a different model as well.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You wrote that they would 'rent' not 'lend' you an M240. I hope this is just a language issue and that there is no charge involved. You should get a free loaner (M240 is fine). And if this would have occurred out of the box, you would have deserved a full replacement.

Jeff

"They offered me a rent of Leica M240 during the repair period."

Are they offering the M240 as a loan (free) or as a rent (at a cost to you)?  If the latter, when you speak to Wetzlar to ensure you get your repair done quickly mention this and they will probably contact the dealer for you to ensure a true loan.

• Like 1

I would expect a no-charge loaner, but most Leica dealers are short on M10 stock and so will offer you an M typ 240 for the loan. Loaners come from the store's demo unit inventory, they don't open new for-sale products for loans, and M10s are still too new to have much demo inventory available as yet. 

G

I would expect a no-charge loaner, but most Leica dealers are short on M10 stock and so will offer you an M typ 240 for the loan. Loaners come from the store's demo unit inventory, they don't open new for-sale products for loans, and M10s are still too new to have much demo inventory available as yet. 

G

Actually Leica Wetzlar will send a brand new camera as a loaner if there is no other option - they did in my case. However, I would not even expect an M10 in this situation.

Schouten Select in the Netherlands is offering the M10 with a huge premium (8800 Euro = nearly 10.000 USD)

https://www.schouten-select.eu/index.php/products/leica/leica-digital/leica-m10-silver-box.html

I am sure that there are still buyers in this segment (but not me).

John

Schouten Select caters to a customer group that lights their cigars using 100 Euro notes.

prices in South Korea are way higher than other countries..