Seeking quick advise: MP BP vs M6 TTL BP NSH

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Am looking quickly to get a 2nd film body.

(My only other Leica film body is a M7, which I like plenty, but it's just been sent off to Wetzlar for an adjustment.)

Visited a few stores.

Sorta narrowed down to 2 bodies:

Regular MP Black Paint 0.72x

- Used. Light signs of use, but no brassing. 8.5/10

- ~ $3350

M6 TTL Black Paint Millennium (NSH edition of 400) 0.85x

- ~ $3200

My own thoughts:

- From a design/look/size point of view, I prefer the MP.

- I'm primarily a 50mm shooter. The 0.85 will suit me well, but I can make do with a 0.72 (my M7 is a 0.72 and I use a 1.25x magnifier with a 50mm comfortably)

- The larger dial on the M6 is a plus.

- I will use the camera for sure, am not quite a collector. But still got to ask .. from a resale point of view, which might fetch a higher value?

Thanks in advance for any insights/advise.

Tytan for me MP - 0.72 like your M7. I have a 1.25 magnifier but never use it.

Some interesting pictures here for comparison :

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/leica-mp-differences.436673/

I have a M7 and a MP the best IMO and still produced by Leica . I bought it new

recently ! MP is my M Monochrom !

Best

Henry

See you in film thread and you're right to purchase film camera. :)

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Thanks Henry!

Quick question regarding this issue with the direction of the shutter dial. The shutter dial on the MP is in a different direction vs the M7/M6TTL I understand.

But say I'm using the MP, looking through the VF, the arrows pointing me to the metered shutter speed, does it point in the direction in which I should be turning the shutter dial? Sorry if I'm not phrasing this question clearly. Simply put, as long as I turn the shutter dial in the direction of the arrow, I'm good, is that correct?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks Henry!

Quick question regarding this issue with the direction of the shutter dial. The shutter dial on the MP is in a different direction vs the M7/M6TTL I understand.

But say I'm using the MP, looking through the VF, the arrows pointing me to the metered shutter speed, does it point in the direction in which I should be turning the shutter dial? Sorry if I'm not phrasing this question clearly. Simply put, as long as I turn the shutter dial in the direction of the arrow, I'm good, is that correct?

Thanks.

There are others who know more about this than I do, so prepare for me to be corrected, but as I understand it, the smaller dial on the MP and non-TTL M6 travels in the opposite direction to the arrows. 

I have a Millennium incidentally (not the special 0,85 version), and I'm back to enjoying it. For a while I decided to sell it - but be aware it's easier to buy than to sell these special cameras.

• Like 1

Talking about shutter dial -_- it depend on feeling/or not comfortable which way to turn it.

MP and M6 Classic have kept the classic way (since M3 of 1954) and if one use as "shutter priority" (set shutter then turn aperture ring), the arrows are in right directions.

To be comfortable with that way of "turning", one only need just one photography day, then this must become natural.

• Like 1

Talking about shutter dial -_- it depend on feeling/or not comfortable which way to turn it.

MP and M6 Classic have kept the classic way (since M3 of 1954) and if one use as "shutter priority" (set shutter then turn aperture ring), the arrows are in right directions.

To be comfortable with that way of "turning", one only need just one photography day, then this must become natural.

So, on the MP, if I shoot "aperture priority" and choose to adjust the shutter speeds instead, the arrows will point in the wrong direction to how I should be turning the shutter dial, is my understanding correct?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, on the MP, if I shoot "aperture priority" and choose to adjust the shutter speeds instead, the arrows will point in the wrong direction to how I should be turning the shutter dial, is my understanding correct?

That's correct. I think it just reflects different ways of thinking about the process.

I tend to walk around lazily with pretty much the same aperture set on my lens, and adjust the shutter speed - then I like the arrows and the dial to work in the same direction. If you're a more thoughtful or intentional photographer than I am, then you'll be adjusting all the different variables all the time, and then the arrow direction will be less important.

Having said that, I'm used to 400 speed film these days, so I tend to just guess speed pretty much. Should really take the batteries out of the camera altogether.

• Like 1

Yes, b&w film is tolerant enough not to worry "correct exposure" all time.

:) now I mostly use M-A after years of in body light meter (MP/M6/M5 for slides).

That kind of liberating photography, no worry of batteries and LED, just snap the moment :p .

See post #40, here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236926-i-love-my-m-a/page-2

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 3

That's correct. I think it just reflects different ways of thinking about the process.

I tend to walk around lazily with pretty much the same aperture set on my lens, and adjust the shutter speed - then I like the arrows and the dial to work in the same direction. If you're a more thoughtful or intentional photographer than I am, then you'll be adjusting all the different variables all the time, and then the arrow direction will be less important.

Having said that, I'm used to 400 speed film these days, so I tend to just guess speed pretty much. Should really take the batteries out of the camera altogether.

I, too, tend to just set my aperture, and adjust the shutter speed along the way. I guess if i go with the MP, i'll just have to get used to this opposite direction issue, which i don't think is a big problem to overcome.

Tytan, each one of the two must be a joy to use anyway.

Have fun.

Leica have built some nice Ms (and LTM also) over time that the "ultime one is only dream" would never become reality.

One is never enough :ph34r: .

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply Tytan.

With the M7 I often use position "A" with the aperture I want , in ex. landscape > f/8-f/16

and the M7 do the rest of job.

With the MP, I also choose this time my speed first (1/125 or /250 in ex) and I turn the aperture

in the direction of the arrow , until I have the red dot .
In fact it is the same on M7 , if we stay in "manual" and if we do not choose option "A"

Best

Henry

• Like 1

I, too, tend to just set my aperture, and adjust the shutter speed along the way. I guess if i go with the MP, i'll just have to get used to this opposite direction issue, which i don't think is a big problem to overcome.

I think it's like this: as you've considered the issue before buying, if you then find it (even occasionally) interferes with your instinctive reflexes before taking a picture (the 'muscle memory' you gradually build up using a camera), then you may grow to curse your decision as time goes by. This may not happen to you, but it's the sort of thing that might bug me. 

Just make sure in your mind that  it won't interfere with your enjoyment of the camera over the long term, before deciding. And by this I mean I'd be nervous buying a camera for almost $3,5k while thinking in terms of 'overcoming' a problem that's otherwise easily avoidable.

Edited by plasticman
  • Like 1

Tytan one picture of my MP 0.72 , to have all frame lens in the viewfinder 

from 28 to 135mm

MP (my M Monochrome) and Noctilux 50 with one roll of Kodak TX400 inside

I love TX

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M9-Macro Elmar 90

The film cameras MP and M7 are still produced by Leica in 2017, the only camera

brand in the world that continues the production of analog cameras (with Canon I believe)

A good point for Leica !

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

The M6 mentioned in your original post is much too expensive, even if it is a TTL. I have no experience with the MP, but if I were you, I would just go with a M6 without TTL....better price/quality ratio.....and I got used to the smaller reel, too. Just my 2 Cents.....

• Like 1

The M6 mentioned in your original post is much too expensive, even if it is a TTL. I have no experience with the MP, but if I were you, I would just go with a M6 without TTL....better price/quality ratio.....and I got used to the smaller reel, too. Just my 2 Cents.....

Thanks Martin.

My purpose for including the price was to get a gauge on that aspect too.

Aside from the functional differences between the 2 bodies, part of the my consideration was pricing too.

Hi all,

Am looking quickly to get a 2nd film body.

(My only other Leica film body is a M7, which I like plenty, but it's just been sent off to Wetzlar for an adjustment.)

Visited a few stores.

Sorta narrowed down to 2 bodies:

Regular MP Black Paint 0.72x

- ~ $3350

M6 TTL Black Paint Millennium (NSH edition of 400) 0.85x

- ~ $3200

My own thoughts:

- From a design/look/size point of view, I prefer the MP.

- I'm primarily a 50mm shooter. The 0.85 will suit me well, but I can make do with a 0.72 (my M7 is a 0.72 and I use a 1.25x magnifier with a 50mm comfortably)

- The larger dial on the M6 is a plus.

- I will use the camera for sure, am not quite a collector. But still got to ask .. from a resale point of view, which might fetch a higher value?

Thanks in advance for any insights/advise.

So from your thoughts, the plus for the MP is looks, the plus for the M6TTL is the finder and the shutter dial - therefore I'd get the M6TTL if I were you. It's not like the BP M6TTL is ugly!

As for resale, you'd have to assume that a limited edition would at least hold value better than a run of the mill production variant? 

• Like 1

Another consideration/question ... does the M6 TTL Millennium suffer from whiteout finder flare?

This is one of those religious questions about M cameras - some people seem to find 'finder flare' a constant problem forever hindering their photographic creativity, while others (like me) are not really sure whether they've ever seen it. I've used an M7 with the newer finder and several M6s and M2s with the older finders, and never really noticed any difference. But I'm probably not looking for this problem. My pet hate is vertical alignment that's out, but flare hasn't ever bothered me.

• Like 2

Another consideration/question ... does the M6 TTL Millennium suffer from whiteout finder flare?

Tytan MP finder has no flare and your M7  has flare ?

I just post something for you in "I like film" thread  :)

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry