No longer able to post images...

David Monkhouse

I have not had any problem posting M10 images. Any two images of the same final pixel dimensions (say, 1200 x 800) and same subject matter will about the same file size regardless of what their original dimensions were, or which camera made them. A 1200 x 800 image is 0.96 Mpixels, regardless of whether it started out as 24 Mpixels or 18 Mpixels.

The real limit on file size on this forum is the 500 kilobyte limit, and any given picture may need more or less jpeg compression to fit under that. That can depend on many things - how much sharpening was applied, or how much of the picture is detailed texture areas (or noise speckles from high ISO) that don't compress well, and how much is broad areas of smooth tone (e.g. skies) that compress easily.

BTW - I use Bridge and PSCS6, and as jaap says, I downsample for a rational screen size (usually 900-1000 pixels longest dimension, but up to 1200) and then use PS's "Save For Web" option, and adjust the jpg quality setting until the predicted file size drops below 500 Kb.

@David - what is your step-by-step technique for making postable images?

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm I tried to post a few images in the Nifty Fifty thread. I also subscribed in order to get the ability to upload up to 1 megabyte.

My problem is that every image is getting destroyed by "yet another" jpeg compression, which is applied from the forum, resulting in a total file size of about 100 kilobytes. Looking at the file size: cool for me, but using the preview option, the photograph really looks ugly. Is there any way to avoid this additional compression? I mean, every sharp landscape image looks not as fresh as any other image I have seen posted on this platform. I assume I'm doing it wrong.

Furthermore but kind of off-topic, is there an option to post images from 500px? I've seen a lot in this forum using some magic code for flickr, but every conversion of the embed code from 500px resulted in a declined post "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.".

Thanks in advance!

Cheers Ben.