CV 3,5/28 for the Monochrom?

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Searched through the site and most comments date from the M8 years. Anyone have experience with this optic? Been really happy with the Ricoh GR converted to B&W, but have heard great things about this hard-to-come-by lens with the caveat of sample variability.

I am presuming that you are referring to the 28mm Color Skopar here, anyway I do have this lens along with the 21mm and the 25mm CS too and find all of them to be truly excellent lenses. I use them on my MM1 as well as the M240, all without issue, or least without issues that bother me. NitPickers will find fault with almost anything, but for me many of my "keepers" have been shot with an M / CV combo'.

Apart from their reasonable pricing and performance I think what I like the best is their size, so much better suited to the M style of shooting than other increasingly larger Leica and other lens offerings.

The CV 28mm Skopar is a superb lens if you can find one. It's not as good as a 28mm Summicron at f/16, but that's about my biggest criticism of it, everywhere else it is so close as to be irrelevant in normal usage. Unlike many other CV lenses it's machined from brass so feels very nice, smooth to focus and precise, and it's size allows it to fit into a large coat pocket on an M size camera.

I was very lucky to get mine, my first worldwide search on eBay came up with just one, and located in the UK, the auction ending within the hour. And I bagged it for a great price! But if you can persevere in tracking one down I don't think you would be disappointed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just received mine from a reputable US reseller; LTM adapter included for < US$400. This is THE smallest M lens I've ever used! Can't imagine the 28 Summaron is much smaller. Solid brass construction, really well made.

Will take it out in good light tomorrow.

• Like 2