New X Vario owner

Kevin_B1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just purchased a Leica X Vario should be with me in a few days, full kit includes, grip, evf2, hood and a couple of batteries.

I currently use D-109 plus Fuji x cameras.

Any tips for great use out of the box (actually going away the day it arrives so it's coming with me).

Also anyone use flash with it and there is a decent price on a SF-24D that I may pick up as well but unsure if needed.

Any and all advice gratefully received from the collective.

Regards

Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to X forum. I suggest that you consider the SF-20 for less money. It is real quick and easy to dial power down for flash fill and has plenty of power if you need it. I recall that with some M cameras, the SF24 defaulted to red-eye removal in TTL and it was a nuisance to deal with....I'd at least look into it before purchasing.

Welcome from me as well. The camera is a stunner, really awesome results. You've got everything you need. I'd be trying the inbuilt flash first, then worry about an extra unit.

Gary

second that!

And a warm welcome from me. Forget an external flash until you have a demonstrable need. Explore the camera and use it as you would with your current camera. Don't rush the AF. Make sure you have green light confirming lock-on.

You will find Auto ISO useful in low light and other situations.

Enjoy your new camera.

Congratulations on the new purchase. Hopefully we see some of the results posted by you soon.

Am also a new owner, btw, had it for two weeks now. Am coming to the XV from the T with the 11-23mm.

Hmmmm that'll be different then.

Especially the 11mm end.

X-Vario is still my favourite though.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Hello..setting manual focus, manual shutter speed & aperture is useful where you want faster shooting capability, such as on the street. I use an sf24d off camera with a small radio slave & this set up is great for candid portraits. The internal flash is good but more limited in use because of its low power. the sf24d would be a good investment if you like the effect flash gives images & like to experiment a bit.

Edited by brill64

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone,

I have been a member of this forum since 3/2003. So, I must be very intelligent. I just purchased an XV. It will arrive on 8/5/2017. Very excited at 70 years of age.

• Like 5

Hope to see all of you in Chicago, Oct 2017.  Just got XV last weekend.  Been using M, M9, Fuji XT1.  Started using Leica IIIc in 1968.  M4-P, M6, then digital.    Currently using a Nikon Varifocal about 60 years old as viewfinder on the XV.  Interested in the EVF020, but I have heard there are compatibility issues.  I want to be able to use it on everything including M, M9, XV.  Will a firmware update solve the issues?   What ARE the issues?

Hope to see all of you in Chicago, Oct 2017. Just got XV last weekend. Been using M, M9, Fuji XT1. Started using Leica IIIc in 1968. M4-P, M6, then digital. Currently using a Nikon Varifocal about 60 years old as viewfinder on the XV. Interested in the EVF020, but I have heard there are compatibility issues. I want to be able to use it on everything including M, M9, XV. Will a firmware update solve the issues? What ARE the issues?

To your last question, I doubt it is do-able. Edited by wda

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Albert, you'll love the new X-Vario. It's old, it's outdated, but once you put that aside, man the images it produces are nice.

Look forward to seeing what you produce with it.

Gary

The X-Vario images can be stunning, certainly of sufficient quality to rival the M9 or M240, but take your time with it (as David Askham says) and it will reward you. Best wishes, Don

• 2 weeks later...

I have also recently bought a mint used x vario, after a mk1 X100 I am very pleased. Can someone confirm if I can turn off the focus acquisition "bleep" as the Fuji is totally silent.

Yes the XVario is old now but it is a very beautiful camera and fine for slow photography.

• 2 weeks later...