Any experience with 0.85 and 35mm lenses?

adli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering buying an MP with the 0.85 finder. I like the 0.91 finder on my M3, but it does not accommodate 35mm lenses.  I use mostly 35 and 90 mm lenses and occasionally 50mm.

Any one have experience with using a 0.85 finder and 35mm lenses? Will it work well or be a hassle? I don't use glasses.

Arne

I have only one 0.85 M body (M6J). Its 35mm framelines are visible more or less the same way as 28mm framelines on my M240 body. 

I don't have an M240. On my M10 (0.73) and M6 (0.72)  I would say the 28 framelines are close to unusable as it is difficult (but not imposible) to see both sides of the frame at at the same time. I assume the 28 framelines are slightly more visible on the M240 as it has 0.68?

I don't have an M240. On my M10 (0.73) and M6 (0.72) I would say the 28 framelines are close to unusable as it is difficult (but not imposible) to see both sides of the frame at at the same time.

If that's your experience, I would not recommend a .85 MP with a 35mm lens. Do you wear glasses? Because I do not and find the 28mm perfectly useable on the M10

Edited by otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you haven't already go to the Leica.com a la carte configurator. I seem to recall the 0.85/35mm framelines being farther from the edges than are the 0.72/28 framelines. I've written Leica twice about an 0.85 in an M-A but there is only silence.

And if you do pull the trigger on an 0.85 let us know how that 35 works out for you.

ALC configurator! Like watching a gas pump; ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching...

s-a

Arne

I don't have any experience with a 35 on a 0.85, but I do have a 0.58 MP.

Like you I don't wear glasses, and I find the 28 frame lines on a 0.72 finder practically unusable.

However, the 35 frame lines on a 0.58 MP finder are an absolute joy to use. Firstly, there is no 135 frame line to distract you. Secondly, there is that nice bit of space visible around the 35 frame line that makes composition just that much easier, as you can see a bit more of what's outside the frame. It is similar to a 50mm on a 0.72 M2.

I highly recommend you try the 0.58 MP if you can!

Cheers

J :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mute-on

I never could see the 35 frame on an M2 (with my glasses) which is why I bought M3.

The .72 finder became useable for me only when they compromised it on the later ones, and made the 35 frame smaller (right for 40mm) to put in the 28mm frame, which I have never seen.

Gerry

• 4 weeks later...

If you haven't already go to the Leica.com a la carte configurator. I seem to recall the 0.85/35mm framelines being farther from the edges than are the 0.72/28 framelines. I've written Leica twice about an 0.85 in an M-A but there is only silence.

And if you do pull the trigger on an 0.85 let us know how that 35 works out for you.

ALC configurator! Like watching a gas pump; ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching...

s-a

I thought I'd a short update here. I today received an email from Leica, Wetzlar about a 0.85x viewfinder in an M-A. Evidently this is possible, my correspondent also mentioning there are two styles of rewind levers available as well; knob and crank I would guess. The frame line set I asked about (35, 135 - 50 - 90) was possible. I think this is a standard set available to the a la carte MP and M7.

Just now I received another email in reply to a further question whether I had to buy an M-A and send it to Leica or could I pay for an M-A from a dealer and have them contact Leica verifying the money had changed hands, so, build and ship the camera. Correspondent said the M-A was not part of the a la carte program and I would have to buy an M-A and send it to Leica. She referred me to Leica, NJ so it would appear they would just swap out the VF and frame line set here in the US.

This is pretty much what I have been told by others. The MP/M7 and M-A chassis is either the same or close enough that this is a simple swap. Makes the M-A even more attractive to me regarding durability and future parts availability. The other way of looking at it is that I'm just buying a stock camera and then throwing money at Leica until something out of the normal workflow happens. I can get that elsewhere by voiding the warranty.

s-a

Arne,

I found shooting a Leica M 0.85 with a 35 mm at f/1.4  great for focusing accuracy .

I do not wear glasses . Never had a MP .

I prefer the confortable  M2 frame lines for 35 mm lenses to the M6 0.85 35 framelines as I sometimes found it difficult to anticipate the out of frame activity with the M6 0.85 .

Did enjoy shooting the M6 0.85 with a 90mm lens .

I'd say test for yourself before you make the purchase.

Best, JM.

Edited by JMF

Prior discussions here, e.g., https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/48303-35mm-lens-085-finder-eye-glasses/

Most conclude that 35mm works reasonably well for those not wearing glasses, not so much otherwise. A .72 finder suits better for 35, but not as well for 90. Trade offs. Always best to try for yourself if you can find options....viewing preferences are quite personal.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Hello Arne,

If your plan was to trade in your M3 for another camera, why not simply swap out the range/viewfinder instead?

If I did that I would still keep the M3 range/viewfinder after having it serviced, because you never know.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht