Leica Hektor 7.3CM f1.9 L39- Any Thoughts

CamUser

I'm sure that this lens has been discussed here before so its worth trying a search for a start. You may also say why you would want it and what you would want to use it for. Its an old lens which many, including myself, would see being of limited use depending on what you want to do with it. You might also post in the Historica section as people looking there may also help you.

• Like 1

I have one, a very good version I bought on the Westlicht auction. I bought it because I couldn't afford a Thambar :) .

A good portrait lens as a counterbalance to the Apo-Summicron 75 i.e. it produces beautiful soft portraits of "difficult" skin. It is subject to flare. The hood and cap are a pain: the cap is always falling off when stored with the hood reversed on the lens. It has quite a long focus throw, which you may or may not like.

Edit: I should have added - bokeh is 'exciting' when you get background highlights. Very swirly, but attractive/interesting when well managed.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

PGK,Thank you for suggestion. Pusrpose is for general photography.

LocalHero, Thank you, This example is also a little stiff on barrel, no front cap or hood. Asking price is 500 and it is in a shop.

I think I will have to look for look for summarit or just do without this focal length. I already have 50 and 90.

Thank you for advice.

To avoid misunderstanding, I think anyone who owns an optically good Hektor 7.3 is very lucky because of the particular characteristics of the lens: softness, bokeh. I don't see it as an alternative to a sharp modern 75, but as a companion. I have the Summicron AA 75, but I use them both: the Hektor for portraits of older people, or for a softer effect, and the Summicron for the crisp modern look.

• Like 1

The fact of being uncoated is right... coating didn't exist when the Hektor was made and sold ; and... which camera do you intend to use it with ? I ask because, having one (it's till now my oldest lens...#129.006) for years, I think that is usage is definitely in black & White  (its colors are someway disappoiinting) ; it's pleasant for portraiture, and the alternative to it, imho, is not the Thambar (which is really odd, though a fascinating item) , but the Summarex 85, which, apart cost and size, has only advantages towards the Hektor : same softness at wide apertures, with even more pleasant OOF, better with color, and sharp as a "modern" Summicron 90 from 5,6 on.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not bad, if the glass surfaces are fine. And if you either have a M240/M10, or if the lense's rangefinder coupling proves to be spot-on.

Otherwise Zeiss Softar for Hasselblad with a filter adapter in front of your existing Leica lenses? Advantage being that with the rangefinder you focus as if it wasn't there.

For even less - greasy filter.

Thank you LocalHero and Luigi, I have M240 and M9 ( received back from Leica a few weeks ago,after sensor change). Very long time ago I had a black and silver 90mm f4 (screw) which I was using with M3. That lens gave very nice results on Fuji reala as well as Kodak ektar. I no longer have any film Leicas but I sometimes have that urge to buy a film camera and perhaps invest in a film scanner,but that just a thought at present.  Many thanks for your helpfulness.Regards. Bashir

PS:@ PGK, I found this thread and it is interesting with sample photos.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/231220-leitz-hektor-73mmf19/

Edited by CamUser

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/73mm,leica/Interesting

I like the effect. I recently had Malcolm Taylor service a 50 Summitar. I like the "rendering" of these older lenses. They can be used to produce very interesting images. I think very Leica owner ought to adopt an older lens and have it serviced for wealth of the Leica World ;-)

Pete

• Like 1

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/73mm,leica/Interesting

I like the effect. I recently had Malcolm Taylor service a 50 Summitar. I like the "rendering" of these older lenses. They can be used to produce very interesting images. I think very Leica owner ought to adopt an older lens and have it serviced for wealth of the Leica World ;-)

Pete

Thank you for the link. Very interesting.

I was intrigued to note that the recent Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8 has an obvious similarity to the 73mm Hektor optical arrangement. One might think Cosina set out to make a modern Hektor... Both appear derivative of the classic Heliar 5-element design but with the single center negative element replaced by a cemented pair. So, 6 elements in three doublets, arranged in the same way. This is not to say the rendition should be similar, but it's intriguing. :)