A 50mm lens to complement the 50mm Summilux pre asph(E46)

Nick N

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I'm a bit new here or rather I've lurked here for a very long time without posting. I've tried searching a bit, but I can't seem to find anything on the specific question I have or perhaps I'm searching poorly ;)

I currently have a chrome 50mm Summilux pre-asph that I am using on a M3 and M7, but as it's well documented this lens has a bit of a classic look to its rendering and at times lacks the micro contrast and corner sharpness of modern designs and do love the look of the lens. The classic rendering is a big part of why I haven't upgraded to an ASPH version. I do a lot of portraiture and this look is very forgiving in that scenario. I've used this lens for about 3 years now so I feel pretty comfortable with its look overall.

That being said, there are quite a few occasions where I would like a bit more of a modern rendering. I think I like the modern rending for a lot of the non portrait everyday type uses. So I am wondering if there are any users here who currently field a pre asph summilux and an additional 50mm lens as a complement in other situations.

I am seriously considering the 50mm summarit 2.4 as my second lens. I have heard that it has a way of rendering that is a bit classic and modern at the same time and has a smaller footprint. Does anyone an opinion on using the older lux and summarit as a sibling lens?

For reference I have also used the 50mm DR summicron(Loved the handling and sharpness, but it was similarly classic to my summilux) and the 50mm Zeiss Planar f/2(liked the lens, but didn't care for the handling)

Thanks so much!

FWIW I had the Summarit for a while until I spotted a mint 50APO at an affordable price in London. To be frank I wasn't able to spot which was which, the 50 2.4 or my Summilux ASPH when looking at Lightroom pics. So a bargain lens and v. high quality.

• Like 1

Over time, I have used dozens of 50ish lenses, from Leica or not.

Very much surprised when I had one 2.5/50mm Summarit-M (I have also the original Summarit 1.5/50, lovely lens character full ) with the handling and IQ.

Before that I didn't known "universal 50mm", now I use one.

You can not go wrong with Summarit-M to complement your classic Summilux.

last word:

2.5 is the same optic as 2.4 which is only mechanical update from 2.5

• Like 1

I join the opinion on Summarit : have not the 50, but have the 75 and it is imo an example of "modern" rendering : great contrast and impressive sharpness of details, "brilliant glow" of OOF bright objects.

Not too costly, light to carry, with a bit of mechanical fragility (my 75 2,5 got loose on front assembly - easily fixed, anyway)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Over time, I have used dozens of 50ish lenses, from Leica or not.

Very much surprised when I had one 2.5/50mm Summarit-M (I have also the original Summarit 1.5/50, lovely lens character full ) with the handling and IQ.

Before that I didn't known "universal 50mm", now I use one.

You can not go wrong with Summarit-M to complement your classic Summilux.

last word:

2.5 is the same optic as 2.4 which is only mechanical update from 2.5

Thank you~ I mostly shoot my summilux at 2.8-4.0 and I have kind of wondered if I'll end up really liking the summarit and just using that going forward. If I do get the Summarit I suspect I am going to try to keep both lenses if I can, but I do wonder if the Summarit could be the best of both worlds for me.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At f/2.8 and f/4 you won't see huge differences between your 50/1.4 pre-asph and any of its competitor, in the centre of the frame at least. Personally i prefer its bokeh to that of the 50/1.4 asph but it is a matter of tastes. Now both 50/1.4 asph and 50/2.5 (no experience with 50/2.4) are sharper in borders and corners at those same apertures and they have less CA than the Summilux pre-asph. The 50/2.5 is an almost perfect lens in that it has no significant flaw aside from the flare i refer to hereafter. It has not much character though but it is not significantly inferior to the 50/2 apo from this standpoint. I prefer the latest Elmar 50/2.8 personally but it is a highly subjective story. The 50/2.5's flare i referred to above occurs only in special circumstances, typically when the sun is outside the frame at about 10:00 AM. See https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/264558-elmar-m-vs-summicron-vs-summarit-50mm/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3113904. A good hood is therefore advised for this lens. 

• Like 1

I am seriously considering the 50mm summarit 2.4 as my second lens.

Stop your 50mm Summilux pre-asph to 2.4 or greater. No difference. Save $. Do not buy.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

If you don't want a current Summilux or APO-Summicron you could consider the 2.0/50 Summicron ASPH.

Have you considered the Carl Zeiss Planar-ZM 2.0/50mm which is an excellent lens.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

At f/2.8 and f/4 you won't see huge differences between your 50/1.4 pre-asph and any of its competitor, in the centre of the frame at least. Personally i prefer its bokeh to that of the 50/1.4 asph but it is a matter of tastes. Now both 50/1.4 asph and 50/2.5 (no experience with 50/2.4) are sharper in borders and corners at those same apertures and they have less CA than the Summilux pre-asph. The 50/2.5 is an almost perfect lens in that it has no significant flaw aside from the flare i refer to hereafter. It has not much character though but it is not significantly inferior to the 50/2 apo from this standpoint. I prefer the latest Elmar 50/2.8 personally but it is a highly subjective story. The 50/2.5's flare i referred to above occurs only in special circumstances, typically when the sun is outside the frame at about 10:00 AM. See https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/264558-elmar-m-vs-summicron-vs-summarit-50mm/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3113904. A good hood is therefore advised for this lens.

Don't forget about the flesh coloured finger shaped flare that appears sometimes :D

Now where was that thread, so much laughter!

Edit: found it https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/260002-problem-with-summarit-50mm-f25-flare-or-lemon/

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 1

Hmm.. This is very interesting to know thank you!

I mostly shoot my pre asph at about 2.8-5.6 so knowing in the center they are much the same is definitely good to know for my research. I somewhat chose this lens for its rendering characteristics (bokeh etc) more so than shooting it wide open.

The pre asph does have quite a defined character to my eye which has kind of got my mind thinking of wanting something with a bit more mordern with flat field characteristics so what you say about it not having much character is kind of a draw for me. I have heard the summarit is also a bit smaller than the other 50s in the range is this true as well?

I'd see if you could find a deal on the more modern look Summilux 50mm ASPH or else go for other brands' 50mm just for something different.

I have definitely thought quite a lot about the ASPH. It just seemed like quite a lot to spend and I would have to sell the pre asph to make that purchase, but I wanted more to keep the Pre asph and add something to it. Do you have any experience with the CV 50s?

I've used the 50mm ZM planar from Zeiss in the past and I liked it, but my copy was extremely stiff to focus for my taste so I sold it. I wonder if it's possible I just had a tight copy because the image quality was quite nice on it. Maybe I'm spoiled by how nicely the pre asph handles.

[...] I have heard the summarit is also a bit smaller than the other 50s in the range is this true as well?

I have no experience with the 50/2.4 but the Summarit 50/2.5 is indeed smaller than current 50/1.4 and 50/2 Leica lenses. You can see it compared to the 50/2 apo below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On my film Leica M cameras I have tried bunch of Leica and non-Leica 50mm lenses. Sold the Rigid because it wasn't something special on prints and sold Planar due to handling as well. Original 50mm Sumarit I used to have was rare copy with unscratched front element and it was nice from f2, but it was too heavy lens for my neck.  Sold them all and currently goofing around with Industar-26M (earlier tab version) and Industar-22 on M3. One is 10$ lens, another is 19$. 

I-22 on M3:

32913208024_4e0e9fc10a.jpg

If I ever get "real" 50mm lens for Leica again it is going to be Summarit-M.  I see it not as the second 50mm lens, but as the only 50mm lens. My choice of it is due to weight, size, handling and dual purpose. It is classic on film and flawless on digital. 

• Like 2

I have no experience with the 50/2.4 but the Summarit 50/2.5 is indeed smaller than current 50/1.4 and 50/2 Leica lenses. You can see it compared to the 50/2 apo below.

attachicon.gifDSC01806_afterweb.jpg

Thanks for the comparison photos~! That helps me a great deal. I am in the process of selling my Contax T2 and perhaps once that goes I'll start looking for a deal on a 50mm summarit. I was initially thinking I would do the 2.4 because I liked the 35mm 2.4, but really it probably makes no difference so I may just grab whatever I can get for cheapest.

Edited by Nick N