Question about LCD cover on M9P upgraded from M9

yeahyoung

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a black M9P that's upgraded from M9 in 2013, according to the official record. It was done in Leica factory. 

Other than the top plate, the leather is also the newer version. However, the LCD cover does not look like Sapphire glass to me. Rather it looks like the old M9 LCD cover. I've compared it to another M9P of mine with Sapphire glass cover and the difference was quite clear. 

This has me confused. I remember both the two upgrade packages offered by Leica involve Sapphire glass cover upgrade. Had there been a time (around 2013) when they offered some kind of upgrade package that only involved the top-plate and the leather? 

Edited by yeahyoung

There was a choice to upgrade the LCD cover separate from the top and leather, at extra cost. So an upgraded camera may well have the old LCD. You can tell the sapphire cover by the (almost invisible) diamond symbol engraved in the glass.

• Like 2

There was a choice to upgrade the LCD cover separate from the top and leather, at extra cost. So an upgraded camera may well have the old LCD. You can tell the sapphire cover by the (almost invisible) diamond symbol engraved in the glass.

Thank you so much! I wasn't aware that there were so many nuances for the M9P! 

My M9 actually received the Sapphire cover since there weren't any regular ones available when I had it repaired. 

The back itself isn't all that much more when replacing it - most of the cost comes with installing, adjusting and so on... 

To be honest though - it doesn't really matter to me much, the screen is mostly useless anyway - having a scratch or two on it doesn't affect the usability. 

Does look nice though.