S 006 or S 007 - today

BigBabyEarl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Odd to read of a battery life issue with the S system. My experience is the opposite ... I've had one S battery fail ... an original one I got with an S2P 5 years ago. During actual use, I've never had a S battery run low ... I always carry 1 or 2 spares but have yet to use them. I've had a few Hasselblad H grip batteries also fail over time.

In fact, I haven't had issues with any CCD MFD camera ... like deterioration of any kind. My buddies old Imacon back still renders like it did 10 years ago. I had different backs (older/used and new) ... like a Kodak ProBacks, Leaf backs (Dalsa), Hasselblad CFV backs (Kodak), and a number of Hasselblad H backs (Kodak and Dalsa) over a long period and none of them needed babying, or special care any more than any other camera regardless of sensor type. My cost for S(006) camera body upkeep has been zero. My Leica 006 has never been back to Germany and my previous S2P is still going strong (a friend bought it from me so I know this for a fact). Pretty stable performance over a long time ... which is something I cannot say about the S lenses that are common to using any S camera.

IMO, if you are looking at the S system for low light work, or shooting stopped down a lot, it may not be the system to be considering. The lenses are special because as a set they are some of the fastest MFD optics available and perform very good at wider apertures. Other systems can do well if used at f/5.6 or smaller, and the newer CMOS sensors from Hasselblad and others easily outperform the S(007) sensor in low light.

I'd advise spending as little as possible on the S body, and start collecting S lenses (with the new AF fix) in anticipation of a new S camera with a more updated, higher performance CMOS sensor like the competition is already delivering.

BTW, a Leica CCD may not come close to exploiting all that the S glass can deliver, but neither can the CMOS version ... they are both the same meg count. IMO, the CCD does better because it better renders the lens micro-contrast ... which is why it is "magical" to some eyes.

The other piece of advice I'd share is to NOT base decisions on back-lit computer screen evaluations, especially at huge magnifications so popular among on-line gurus. Shoot and make reflected light prints. Suddenly all the noise issues are put in their proper perspective when you do that. If all you care about is on-line presentations, you probably do not need a S system.

- Marc 

• Like 10

While I have less experience with Leica than Marc, that experience matches his almost perfectly. Huge battery life on the S(006) and zero problems with any Leica body. Where I differ is that I've also had zero problems with any Leica lens, for which I count myself fortunate.

The 006 body is, IMHO, a screaming deal now if, and that's a big if, you want to get into the S lens system. I hope there will be an 008, but if there isn't, I'm VERY happy with the 006 system I have.

--Matt

• Like 1

I can't opine on the 006 vs the 007 as I only have and used the 006. However, I can relate to the OP wondering whether the 007 is worth the price difference as I did the same, albeit back then the price difference was more significant (15-17k for 007 vs less than $6,500 for a Wetzlar-refurbished 006 with the 3-year warranty). In my opinion, if you are a professional photographer who uses camera gear to make money the difference in price is relative to how much more money you can make with the "marginal" performance enhancement that the 007 offers or how much more tax depreciation you get with a new gear. 

If you do photography because that what you like to do in your spare time and assuming you have some budget constraint as most people have, then I'd say that the 006 is plenty and offers great IQ and with the price difference between a 006 and 007 one can buy almost two used/pre-owned lenses. I like the CCD look including for color images, but I am sure that with good post processing you can get very close to one another and I beat that often you will not see any difference between two images shot with the 006 and the 007. For most uses the 006 has plenty dynamic range and the files are very usable with a lot of information that can be retrieved from the shadows. If you do primarily landscape photography, the use of good filters would make up for the slightly narrower dynamic range and you will be using the tripod most of the time anyway. 

My two cents. 

cheers,

Lorenzo 

• Like 2

The other piece of advice I'd share is to NOT base decisions on back-lit computer screen evaluations, especially at huge magnifications so popular among on-line gurus. Shoot and make reflected light prints. Suddenly all the noise issues are put in their proper perspective when you do that. If all you care about is on-line presentations, you probably do not need a S system.

- Marc 

+1

Jeff

- Marc 

This is a fantastic point. A theme of my current study, which focuses on book craft rather than large-format printing, has been my surprise at how wonderfully files I'd binned for being too noisy or lacking sharpness print at sizes up to A3. This is a misstep I've taken myself: thinking that a file that suffers at 100% isn't worth keeping.  

• Like 2

I do not believe that's the rumored CD deterioration exists. I still have the Rollei 6008 af db20 (PO) and it works as is should be working. My wife's m8-2 is still working perfectly. Sensor corrosion on the S2 - S2P is very rare to worry about. Many cheep S2s are appearing and the lowest price I saw was 2000 euro. And for the first time I am thinking about a spare body. I am happy with the ISO and IMO the S2 is easier calibrated than the 007 in my studio for my lights and modifiers.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still have the Rollei 6008 af db20 (PO) and it works as is should be working.

+1 love for the venerable 6008I. With the extraordinary Schneider 90mm it is way too fine a camera to sit on the shelf, where mine resides. Inspiring square format. Optical viewfinder that matches or exceeds my S, and a refined build that makes it less a camera than a fine German mechanical instrument. For analog MF, top of the heap. It may be the camera I am buried with.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So after many conversations and almost trading two M lenses (and cash) towards a fair priced 007, I decided to buy a CPO 006 with warranty until 2020 for $4800. What pushed me was speaking with people who've owned both and came back to the 006 because of its color. I think of it as a 800asa Kodak stock that is unique with limitations. I also love that I can now grab glass at crazy low prices and not be upside down when the 008 comes out. The 007 seems really great in terms of speed and the iso, but ultimately for a unique experience of color (and I plan on shooting 1600 black and white for CCD noise/grain) the 006 has my attention. We'll see. I have a 100S and plan on playing with different focal lengths, maybe all of them.  :)

Thanks to everyone that helped me and wrote on this. 

• Like 3

Despite the technical advantages of the 007, I also ended up with a 006 (with a new sensor), and some modestly priced S-glass. If the specs/ability of the expected 008 becomes too tempting, I may upgrade, but I foresee that 006 will serve my use for many, many years. Particularly since the SL has turned out to a very versatile tool for my type of shooting.

So after many conversations and almost trading two M lenses (and cash) towards a fair priced 007, I decided to buy a CPO 006 with warranty until 2020 for $4800. What pushed me was speaking with people who've owned both and came back to the 006 because of its color. I think of it as a 800asa Kodak stock that is unique with limitations. I also love that I can now grab glass at crazy low prices and not be upside down when the 008 comes out. The 007 seems really great in terms of speed and the iso, but ultimately for a unique experience of color (and I plan on shooting 1600 black and white for CCD noise/grain) the 006 has my attention. We'll see. I have a 100S and plan on playing with different focal lengths, maybe all of them.  :)

Thanks to everyone that helped me and wrote on this. 

Amazing price.  Given the extended warranty is $3500, you got the camera for just $1300.

• Like 1