Companion camera to the Monochrom

James S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the M240 to go with the 246 Monochrom. I had an M9 based Monochrom but got fed up of carrying two different batteries and chargers. I was reluctant to change because of the CCD sensor but don't now regret it one bit.

I have the M240 to go with the 246 Monochrom. I had an M9 based Monochrom but got fed up of carrying two different batteries and chargers. I was reluctant to change because of the CCD sensor but don't now regret it one bit.

That is the pair I take when shooting color and B&W.  Although if shooting B&W only, I prefer my M9 MM  :)

• Like 1

That's the primary reason I am waiting on (hopefully) to-be-released M10 Monochrom.  Many times I have nearly purchased the MM246 but failed to do so simply because I don't want the hassle of different batteries, chargers, etc.  

That said, I wonder how long I can/will wait for an M10 Monochrom?

That's the primary reason I am waiting on (hopefully) to-be-released M10 Monochrom.  Many times I have nearly purchased the MM246 but failed to do so simply because I don't want the hassle of different batteries, chargers, etc.  

That said, I wonder how long I can/will wait for an M10 Monochrom?

I have no clue regarding Leica's plans, but, if the M9 and M-240 series are representative, it will be after all the pre-orders are filled and when the M10 is readily available on dealers shelves.  Typically the M10-P will come first and then later the M10-D (assuming there will be one).

I use the Fuji X-T2 with the Leica M adapter next to the Monochrom V2. It used to be the Sony A7R, but I traded that one in after a year of detesting the thing's menu system and noise. I love working with the Fuji, despite the 1.5 crop factor. Manual focus is excellent on it and what comes rolling out is impressive. 

Case in point, two shots taken this morning. Same animal, same distance, same lens (tele-elmar f4 135) on the fuji at iso 400 and the mono at iso 320. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Most of the time I use the M Monochrome exclusively. If I fancy some tourist sort of color shot I simply take a cell-phone snap. 

However, if traveling, or shooting a wedding, or some other commercial job I take the M Monochrome and a Sony A7R-II with a TechArt Autofocus M lens adapter. All my current M mount lenses work well with the Sony sensor except the 28/2ASPH. (Voit 15/4.5-III, M-21/1.4ASPH, 35/1.4ASPH, 75/2AA, 90/2.8).

2 very small bodies with the purity of the B&W experience plus maximum flexibility for color ... (it is pretty cool being able to use the LCD for framing at worm's eye or bird's eye with the auto-focus M lenses).

I think the A9 would be a consideration for this duty also.

- Marc 

• 1 month later...

I've been so taken with the M 246 and shooting in monochrome that I decided to let go of my M9-P some time ago. I thought maybe I'd pick up an M 240/262 (or M10) as a complement, but have held off thus far.  I've come to feel that my "need" to shoot color is related more to family expectations at this point.  So, with the money I saved from resisting another M body, I invested in glass instead - a Cron 50 APO for my 246.  My other M-lenses have been very lonely since.  

I suppose I'll get over this infatuation at some point but for those times when I need to make others happy and can't bear to use my iPhone, I purchased an X100f. At least it is "camera-like" and travel friendly.  I'm ok with the X100f in this role but it only serves to remind me how much I prefer a true rangefinder and the simplicity of an M - any M.

I suppose the availability of an M10 monochrome might derail any future plans for a color M to complement the 246.....

M-A of course.

Some years ago, Leica offered "Edition Leica 100 Set" consisting of Monochrom + M-A + three Summiluxes in Steel finish.

I thought that would be very heavy as M kit, but those were not for users :

Like this one: https://leicastoremiami.com/products/leica-m-set-edition-leica-100-null-series-24-25?variant=5722074565

Now I use (less Summilux 28mm replaced with Summicron :p ) the reconfigured lighter/poorer set/kit with pleasure.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have a Sony 7R, but I am not such happy with adapting the M lenses, especially the 21 from Zeiss but also the 35 I see chromatic aberations when Pixel piping. The A72 should be better report some folks on the net. Anyway I can use the 7R pretty good with my Canon glasses. Then I picked a used T for Color. I liked the images a lot but was not such happy with the crop factor, so sold it again. Anyway the TL2 seems to be a nice add on, if you can live with the crop. Right now, I have an eye on this one here: http://konost.com/ They are not on the market so far. We will see, what they will end up with and how good it is.

• 2 weeks later...