'The Window Cleaner' statue Edgware Road Tube Station.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adjacent to Edgware Road Tube Station, Chapel Street, London W1, looking up at the Capitol House tower block is the well known 10' high 'Window Cleaner' bronze statue by Allan Sly. The sculpture is a difficult photographic challenge and today I attempted to do it justice … but without success.  Next time hope to do better i.e. without chopping his foot off … but the real challenge is too find a way of including the statue's head scratching facial expression as the figure peers up at the tower block's multitude of glass windows. There has to be a way to convey the full facial expression and also include the full height of the building. My attempt today was made whilst laying on the pavement using a Leica 19mm R lens on a Sony A7S … with the camera pivoted on the pavement at various angles trying to squeeze everything into the frame. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

… better luck next time! 

dunk 

• Like 8

Thank you for the compliments Dave and Stuart but it's not quite the anticipated / required result. This is the very awkward camera position necessary to check that the whole of the building and the statue's feet are in the frame.  

… the type of composition which would be so much easier to achieve using a camera with an articulated monitor / screen … really needs e.g. a wedge(s) under the camera, an assistant, and a smart phone / iPad to check the framing /composition.

The 19mm Elmarit R is likely wide enough but a 16mm or 18mm M lens would be more flexible. 

A potential image is there but requires more planning … and some yoga exercises beforehand  ;)

Better luck next attempt :)

dunk

Photo of me taken by Leica Forum member John Dodkins. We'd travelled to Photographica and Speakers' Corner last Sunday; this was actually the second attempt to photograph the sculpture; the first was by John last January using a fisheye lens but that result was not so good either. 

Assuming that position in full public gaze is true dedication....but nobody is rushing to assist the poor photographer who has obviously fainted and collapsed.

This is a fascinating post from many perspectives, and really great photos, both of them. 

• Like 1

Yes Pete and maybe next trip will try the mirror approach. Remember when was possible to use a right angle finder on an R series camera? Maybe one day Leica Camera AG will produce a FF camera with a fully articulated monitor. 

dunk

• Like 1

After some PS manipulation … i.e. decided to 'put the boot in'  ;)

dunk