Using the Q Manually?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you very much Dan. I forgot that setting the "Film style" will alter what is displayed in the EVF & LCD. I will try out the various Focus peaking colors to see what works best for me.

My initial "take" is that by having a B& W display may help me with composition as well since I am not "distracted" by all the colors.

37 minutes ago, Matsaly said:

Thank you very much Dan. I forgot that setting the "Film style" will alter what is displayed in the EVF & LCD. I will try out the various Focus peaking colors to see what works best for me.

My initial "take" is that by having a B& W display may help me with composition as well since I am not "distracted" by all the colors.

I believe your composition comment is right on and the main reason I chose this setup. Also, seeing the Focus Peaking color is very obvious against the monochrome background. Some smart person suggested this to me and I thought it brilliant. 

On 5/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, HighlandK said:

For my type photography aperture priority is the key because getting just the right amount of DoF defines the quality of the output. That's the beauty of a f1.7 lens on a FF sensor.

My eyesight just does not work with a monitor and so it is always EVF and I am sold on single point focus. However given the 6x with peaking and the potential of zone focusing I intend to try MF much more. Certainly I choose that for macro.

Bottom line is that I want to exercise control over the features that are going to be critical to the image and full auto surrenders just too much to the camera. However I do find auto ISO very useful in most circumstances.

What really takes me back to 'the old days' is having an aperture ring on the lens, positive minimal travel when in MF and a speed dial on top. Unlike many of you I have no previous history with Leica Ms and so it is so refreshing to get back to a minimalist set up.

I agree, for me aperture setting is key. But I don't agree to allow the camera to then set shutter automatically especially in lower light where the shutter is too low. For that reason I only shoot in manual and let ISO vary. 

Interestingly I wrote that comment over two years ago. With both my DSLR and Q I find myself moving more and more to Manual mode in many situations. With my DSLR this tends to be when working on a tripod with landscapes and using the rear screen where I can get a histogram up but not using auto ISO. I am happier using Auto ISO with the Q in M mode but then I rarely put it on a tripod. For me the flexibility of the size and being mirrorless make it a joy to use handheld

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/13/2019 at 3:12 AM, Voxen said:

I said that in 2017, now I'm using face tracking which works very well.

Ah. The smart person re-emerges. Thanks again. I love the B&W display format and the color focus peaking. 

I keep trying face tracking, but so far find it horribly inferior to my iPhone 11 Pro. Apple’s face tracking is stunningly fast and accurate.