summicron 28mm f/2 for film

rking

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry to have such a general post. However I just wanted to see an assortment of opinions

regarding the summicron 28/f.2. Quality, contrast, detail. It's signature, etc.

Mostly for film. Thinking of purchasing the 2008 version. 

Any opinions or photos welcome; film/or digital. 

Thanks, 

richard

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum Richard :-)

This will be a 2.0/28 Summicron-M ASPH. Fabulous lens, still one of my all time favourites. Great on film and digital.  The subtle 'inconsistencies' that some complain about re corner sharpness and some lack of flatness of field at infinity are greatly exaggerated and probably completely irrelevant on film.  I shoot film and digital, and have not yet felt the need to replace mine with the latest iteration....yet!

I also have the 2.8/28 Elmarit-M ASPH. Razor sharp, great little lens - my only complaint is that at times it's just too contrasty.

If I could only have one of them  it would, without doubt, be the Summicron.

It is worth finding an alternative hood to the original monstrosity and there are lost of references here in the Forum to alternative Leica lens hoods that do a good job. Will reference them here later when I have the time.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/210636-tim-ashley-on-m240-and-28-cron/

Ignore Tim Ashley's comments - we think he got a dud lens! Read & see pics from post #14 (mine).  Will find and post some shot on film later.

What camera body and other lenses are you using, the latter may be relevant if you want to get a similar look to your photos across different lenses. 

Regards,

Mark

Edited by MarkP

This will be a 2.0/28 Summicron-M ASPH. Fabulous lens, still one of my all time favourites. Great on film and digital.  The subtle 'inconsistencies' that some complain about re corner sharpness and some lack of flatness of field at infinity are greatly exaggerated and probably completely irrelevant on film.  I shoot film and digital, and have not yet felt the need to replace mine with the latest iteration....yet!

I also have the 2.8/28 Elmarit-M ASPH. Razor sharp, great little lens - my only complaint is that at times it's just too contrasty.

It is worth finding an alternative hood to the original monstrosity and there are lost of references here in the Forum to alternative Leica lens hoods that do a good job. Will reference them here later when I have the time.

Ignore Tim Ashley's comments - we think he got a dud lens! Read & see pics from post #14 (mine).  Will find and post some shot on film later.

What camera body and other lenses are you using, the latter may be relevant if you want to get a similar look to your photos across different lenses. 

Regards,

Mark

well, rightly or wrongly i purchased one with a tiny mark on the front of the lens, which came at a discount of 1745.00. reputable store in norway, (tho, from eBay store),  i believe. i will shoot and process quickly. thank you for your responses, and any more appreciated. 

Edited by rking
  • Like 1

Regards,

Mark

Thank your for your thoughtful, informative post. And if you have the time let me know about a good alternative hood?

I only have a m4 right now. i have used others in the past but had to sell, here and there. I would like to one day purchase another m6 ttl. which i like the most.

Edited by rking