Full set of S-lenses upgraded to new AF solution

erlingmm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am now the happy owner of 6 S-lenses with the upgraded AF-solution. My 24mm was upgraded a few months ago after AF failure, I sent 5 other lenses in for preventive repair early April. The lenses have been purchased both new and used over the last 5 years. One of the lenses also needed optical cleaning. All in all it took 6 weeks door-to-door which is a bit slower than I hoped, but it included Easter week.

I cannot give the exact price as I will be invoiced by my dealer, but I have reason to believe that it will be decent.

Patience and loyalty pays off, I think. It is great to have a full kit in pristine and reliable condition.

- Erling

• Like 5

Just got the invoice from my dealer. I can only say that it was extremely decent, and below the indicated usd400 per lens, probably partially handled as a guarantee issue.

I think this is a result of a longtime good relation to my dealer and the country representatives here, who have handled this very well on my behalf.

• Like 4

Just got the invoice from my dealer. I can only say that it was extremely decent, and below the indicated usd400 per lens, probably partially handled as a guarantee issue.

I think this is a result of a longtime good relation to my dealer and the country representatives here, who have handled this very well on my behalf.

Congrats... and hope the bean counters who created the policy don't follow the forum.

More seriously, while I always appreciate special courtesies from Leica service (I've been a recpient), I would prefer that they treated all customers the same fair way, without the inconsistencies often reported on these pages.... in cost, in wait times, etc.

Regardless, enjoy your system.

Jeff

Congrats... and hope the bean counters who created the policy don't follow the forum.

More seriously, while I always appreciate special courtesies from Leica service (I've been a recpient), I would prefer that they treated all customers the same fair way, without the inconsistencies often reported on these pages.... in cost, in wait times, etc.

Regardless, enjoy your system.

Jeff

I can see your point, but I have been a loyal S user from S2 via S006 to S007, puchasing 6 S lenses, half used, half new from my dealer. 3 lenses had been in for AF repair already, of which 1 already with new AF motor replacement. I think it is perfectly ok that this loyalty pays off somehow.

That said, I hope all users are treated well, and that the usd 400 estimate is a good prediction as a maximum, they had to set a price point for the pre-emptive repair.

Edited by erlingmm
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1.  And the same is actually true for the very customer unfriendly pre-order process. 

having sent all my lenses for checkup (7 of them), only two were repaired at no cost (the others are not defective yet), I'm still confused (and a bit upset) on this updatepolicy. It is clearly a production error. What do they expect from their customers? To wait that the lens fail when you work with it? Or when you are ein travel? For something that has to be repaired anyway, sooner or later?

• Like 1

My understanding is that failed lenses will be fixed for free within the stated time constraints, whereas working lenses can be updated for a modest cost ($450 or thereabout).

For the repair/adjustments I have had so far, Leica has always provided estimated cost for the work/fix, and the work will not start before my approval.

The S-lens procedure is possibly different (asking, because I don't know).

Edited by helged

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

1 of my 8 S lenses broke a few months ago and we ended up sending all of them to Germany for the AF upgrade. The turnaround time was delayed to over 3 months due to unforeseen paperwork error and partly due to the fact that I did not call even once to inquire. But the good news in this story is that Leica fixed them all at no charge.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...