Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2,8/60mm Click stops GONE

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I got a Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2,8/60mm cheap locally from 'the bay' equivalent.

The thing is it's aperture stops no longer click, according to the guy it happend when he tried to take it apart. He didn't get further than the bayonet mount but when he tried to put it together again he saw one of the bayonet screws would no longer fit in because there is a small metal 'ball/pin' inside of it.

Now my idea is that this little ball/pin makes the aperture ring click normally.

Would there be an easy way to repair this?

It's a ROM version of the lens by the way (if this makes a difference)

See attached photos.

IMG4432.JPG

IMG4431.JPG

Edited by jip

Aperture click stops work by a spring loaded ball being pushed into machined grooves in the face of the aperture ring. Normally the ball sits on top of a tiny coiled spring, all pushed into a small drilled hole under the area of the aperture ring where the grooves are located. It's very easy for the ball to come out and roll away during dis-assembly. Looks like in your case it rolled into one of the mount screw holes - hopefully not jammed too tightly. Maybe a strong magnet could pull it out.

A bigger problem would be if the spring that was under the ball jumped out and got lost. The balls in different sizes are available from Micro Tools - the springs are a problem. Use a spot of grease on the ball to stick it in place when assembling.

Edited by TomB_tx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let's hope so!!

I'll probably send it to Will van Manen for a CLA anyway, and then he can 'repair' it or well, assemble it... haha

Will van Maanen does this also on purpose who want to shoot video with it indeed, so he will be able to put it back to original too

Thanks for all the useful information and the URL to the Leitax website which helped a lot!

So everything inside the lens looks fine except that little ball that got lodged inside one of the bayonet screw holes... I cannot get it out by shaking, magnet or suction of air... so it looks like I'll have to order a new ball... 

Unless anyone has any tips of getting the ball out of the bayonet ring. 

You could try a very small dab of glue on a pin, push the pin/glue onto the ball bearing and see if you can get it to set sufficiently to allow you to haul the bearing out - just a thought which might just do it. It is an option which won't cause harm if you are careful anyway.

You could try a very small dab of glue on a pin, push the pin/glue onto the ball bearing and see if you can get it to set sufficiently to allow you to haul the bearing out - just a thought which might just do it. It is an option which won't cause harm if you are careful anyway.

Nice idea, I can try that out. 

Thanks for all the useful information and the URL to the Leitax website which helped a lot!

So everything inside the lens looks fine except that little ball that got lodged inside one of the bayonet screw holes... I cannot get it out by shaking, magnet or suction of air... so it looks like I'll have to order a new ball... 

Will van Maanen has got the balls, pun intended

• Like 1

Jip, give a look to Leitax site, there are step-by-step tutorials for removing bayonet in each lens, you can see immediately in the pictures where the small bearing ball has to be placed. It's very easy to fix it.

Hope this helps.

Yes, someone already supplied me with that information... I looked the problem is the ball is stuck in one of the screw holes... It can use a CLA anyway so I'm sending it out for CLA for about 120 euro. 

Then it can last the rest of my life :)