Lens body damage

ShivaYash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

Does anyone know if Leica DE is able to refinish the outside of a lens? That is, to restore a black chrome lens body, and make it free of light marks, where the silver is showing through? I ask as I have been offered a good-value f0.95 but I really don't need another lens. The price is 'affordable' because of the scrappy body condition, and this puts me off, as I suspect, once the f0.95 taste has faded, I'll want to sell. I understand this is a frequently traded lens for this very reason. BUT I need to have a proper play and make up my own mind.

Please do not reply to this thread IF you don't have anything positive to say. I am not posting to be told, 'don't worry about the external condition etc.' This is precisely what I am concerned about, I am not prepared to take a hit should I need/ want to re-sell. 

Thanks,

I don't know if they would be able refresh the cosmetics but they might be able to rehouse the lens elements and internal mechanics in a new barrel. Pure speculation on my part but one thing I do know for sure is that it is likely to cost an arm and a a leg. So much so that it is probably cheaper just to buy a better condition example in the first place. Contact customer service and see what they say.

Hello Everybody,

I think that 1 of the reasons that there are not replacements available is that: For many years Leitz/Leica lens barrels have been machined together as unique pairs. The theory being that any lack of uniformity from 1 piece to the other would be matched, & some what adjusted for, by the other's equivalent symetrical variation.

This is a method for making otherwise greater tolerances smaller.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1