Power saving?

euston

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I’m shooting DNG with a view to converting the images to black and white, I set the JPEG to monochrome so that I can review them on the LCD screen in black and white. Can I expect this way of reviewing shots to draw less battery power than a full colour display would? Does anybody know?

If there is a substantial saving, I may keep the display permanently set to monochrome to extend battery life.

Substantial difference? Uh, n0--pr0bably n0t. 

Set y0ur m0nit0r t0 manual brightness and pick the l0west setting that is usable. That will g0 further t0ward p0wer saving than B/W vs C0l0r.

Yeah, I need a new keyb0ard...

Just get anther battery 0r chimp less. 

CJ and Jeff, many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Jeff, I do shoot DNG only and I don't chimp but I do review images when I think it would be useful. I like to keep an eye on the histogram, for example. It's one of the benefits of digital photography, I think.

"B&W" digital images as produced in the camera are still full-color RGB .jpg files - just with the brightness values equalized across the 3 colors (a gray is 115R/115G/115B). Same number of megapixels, close to the same number of megabytes (although "B&W" jpegs may compress a bit more).

They aren't going to save you anything in display power - the display is on and drawing power, or it is off. Just as your TV does not use less power to show an old B&W movie vs. a Technicolor movie.

If you set the display to a lower fixed brightness, that will save some power (lower wattage for the backlight LEDs).

Shooting .jpg + .DNG probably does draw more power - data has to be processed twice, and written twice to the card. And of course the little red "reading/writing" LED on the back has to flash longer per image.

Edited by adan
  • Like 2

"B&W" digital images as produced in the camera are still full-color RGB .jpg files - just with the brightness values equalized across the 3 colors (a gray is 115R/115G/115B). Same number of megapixels, close to the same number of megabytes (although "B&W" jpegs may compress a bit more).

They aren't going to save you anything in display power - the display is on and drawing power, or it is off. Just as your TV does not use less power to show an old B&W movie vs. a Technicolor movie.

Thank you, Andy. That’s exactly what I wanted to know and very clearly explained. The TV parallel is a perfect way to illustrate the point.

I shot 700 photos today on one battery over 6 hours..... DNG only, limited chimping

Good to hear that. It’s my method, too. I don’t routinely use GPS or live view either, both of which seem to be power hungry.

I think the criticism of the M10’s battery life has been overdone. It may not compare well with the M240 but I’m coming from an M9 and it seems at least on a par, if not better. I always carry a spare but I haven’t needed it yet.

Good to hear that. It’s my method, too. I don’t routinely use GPS or live view either, both of which seem to be power hungry.

I think the criticism of the M10’s battery life has been overdone. It may not compare well with the M240 but I’m coming from an M9 and it seems at least on a par, if not better. I always carry a spare but I haven’t needed it yet.

It all depends on whether the camera is nonstop turned on, because then eats the battery at a rate of 20% per hour (a little faster compared to M9).

• Like 2