ISO capabilities of the SL

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Might have asked this question before but how is the ISO capabilities of the SL............I'm having two days in Barcelona without a tripod so will be shooting everything hand held..........1600 ISO okay ????

Thanks

Neil

Edited by Neil D

If you had the benefit of the 24-90 zoom you could handhold with OIS at daft exposure times and avoid going above a few hundred iso ...... I've got excellent results at 0.4sec at 24mm and 0.1sec at 90mm.

As for 1600 ..... it cleans up well in post processing as long as there isn't a lot of shadow you want recovering. 

I prefer to stick to 800 and below unless I really have no choice. 

Edited by thighslapper

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

If you had the benefit of the 24-90 zoom you could handhold with OIS at daft exposure times and avoid going above a few hundred iso ...... I've got excellent results at 0.4sec at 24mm and 0.1sec at 90mm.

As for 1600 ..... it cleans up well in post processing as long as there isn't a lot of shadow you want recovering. 

I prefer to stick to 800 and below unless I really have no choice. 

Gordon

I will just be using M lenses so no image stabaliziation. At night I will use Noctilux and I guess just go with 1600

Thanks

Neil 

This is 1250 iso from this afternoon 1/10 sec f2.9 @ 26mm ....... processed .... and a 100% crop

Snowshill Manor ..... 1250 was the highest I went. (All the rooms have curtains and minimal lighting to preserve the items). At this level you can still apply a fair amount of sharpening and NR and images look 'normal'. Above 1600 or so NR starts to degrade the image substantially and you either have to put up with 'grain' or excessive image smoothing from NR. All depends what you want to do with the images and the 'mood' you are after. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've been happy with it up to 12,500.  The sensor gets noisy and loses dynamic range but doesn't it doesn't produce ugly banding.  The banding is what I can't stand to look at.

Yea I don't want to go that high...........I think I will stick with 1600 and see what I can get

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I just tried it at 1600  and 64 ISO  with Noctilux wide open and at f8 to bump the ISO

ISO 1600

ISO 64

Godfrey will tell you.

It's sufficiently esoteric that even I have forgotten what it does..... something to do with zoom lenses 

Ignore it ..... it makes minimal difference under normal usage. 

Edited by thighslapper