Q Lens Shade Issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lens shade of my Q does not snug-up (or seat) at proper orientation; it is about a quarter turn off. is this normal? It seems for all that technical sophistication, that someone could justly the threads.

Perhaps someone will offer a solution, perhaps shim rings, or some such.

Lens shade is a tad unsecure this way.

Thanks

Agreed. A trusted method. There is no way the lens hood should feel insecure. I found it took some force initially which I was a bit uncertainn about doing. As far as I can see you cannot overtighten it. It stops when in the right position and it feels toally secure.

• Like 1

Smear some nose / cheek oil from your skin onto the threads of the shade and lens.

Twist the shade on and off a few times with this application and all will be fine.

+1. This has been discussed on multiple threads on this forum. It works. Really easy to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No need to spend more money. The Leica shade is very cleverly designed to align perfectly to avoid vignetting and not screw past its correct point. BUT have you removed the end screw ring before trying to fit the shade. That's important. Fit the supplied end ring OR the shade. Not both.

If the thread is tight, introduce some skin oil as recommended by others

• Like 4

+1. Why does the Q need a "ventilated" lens hood? Ventilated to what end? The only practical advantage I can see with this particular design is that it is easier to to get to a polarising filter to turn it while looking through the viewfinder and avoiding leaving a fingerprint of the glass. But I wonder with its wide mouth if it is as effective in doing what lens hoods are designed to do: shade the lens to the maximum amount before vignetting creeps in.

• Like 3

Smear  some nose / cheek oil from your skin onto the threads of the shade and lens.

Twist the shade on and off a few times with this application and all will be fine.

+1

It works!

Hi , I suggest you to get the Von Overgaard's lens shade for your Q. This is the link to his store. By the way, the photo of the "Q Camouflage" is my camera.

http://www.overgaard.dk/Thorsten-von-Overgaard-Gallery-Store-Hardware-for-Photography-LeicaQ-Typ116-Ventilated-Lens-Shade.html

Regards,

Kingson Lee

$200 for a lens shade, seriously? This guy is the king of business... you'll find the same ones on ebay for $10 :)

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 1

Well. They are not exactly the same. The hood you linked to does have an inside thread, so you are using the filter thread to mount it. The Overgaard one have an outside thread, making it possible to use filters and such. Maybe not important, but gives a hint why there is a difference in price. Not saying the price difference is justified, but still.

Regarding the Overgaard hood. Is there any vignetting shot wide open due to the hood? Do you feel the hood is a little too big?

i have the overgaard hood -- no vignetting when i shoot wide open (as i usually do) ...personally i think because it is ventilated it makes the camera look smaller than the original hood (my opinion - you may differ)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one for $6 -- maybe not quite as fabulously good, but a 97% price reduction is nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F121-NEW-Black-Metal-Curved-vented-Lens-Hood-for-Leica-Q-Typ-116-28mm-f-1-7-Lens-/361539729845

Anyone having experience with this lens hood? I find the Overgaard hood way overpriced.

From the image the screw thread is external so I assume it attaches to the filter thread. The only practical advantage of the Overgaard hood is that it attaches to the same thread as the Leica one and so gives access to turn a polariser. As to appearance, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

• Like 1