Used 35mm f2 question

1963mca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone encountered this problem? Just received a used 35mm f2, the front ring for the lens is loose, attempting to tighten it puts the aperture alignment mark way off to the left of the depth of field f2 center alignment mark. It is far more obvious when looking at the camera from the front with the 12526 hood attached correctly.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

From memory, you may need to tighten from the inside I can't quite remember but its not just a case of turning the front. If you do decide to strip the lens from the back the most important thing is to mark where the helicoil parts/releases.

I've had my version 4 in bits a few times fixing the focus and also replacing the focus lever, I'm sure a bit of googling will turn up something.

good luck

• Like 1

I had this problem with the Summilux-M 75 coming from a Wetzlar 6-bit coding.

Had to make a new trip.

/Eric

The optical cell is just unstuck from the focus mount due to the lens having been grabbed by the hood i guess. The optical cell is screwed in the focus mount and can be unscrewed this way when it is unstuck. A mere CLA should fix the problem normally.

Edited by lct

Thank you, so it does not appear to be an unusual occurrence. I take it the camera/ lens is usable (focus should be correct?) even though the optical cell is a bit off center. I will perform  more searches to see if I can understand how to tighten it down in the proper aligned orientation.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The optical cell must me fixed in the right position if your issue is same as mine. A good workshop should do it easily i guess but some of them are not keen to work on the 35/2 v4 due to plastic parts in it AFAIK. i would ask DAG Camera Repair if i were you.

http://www.smallbusinessdb.com/dag-camera-repair-fitchburg-wi-53575.htm

I will perform  more searches to see if I can understand how to tighten it down in the proper aligned orientation.

Not really any authorized way to do that. The "proper position" is screwed in tight. That is how it is tightened, like any other screw.

The problem is that what it screws into, in the back half of the lens, is broken or out of position. Not a DIY repair. Send the darn thing to an expert.

I think that if the 'chassis' for the optical cell is damaged it can be very difficult to repair due to the material it is made from and the lack of spare parts availability. I would have realignment done by a competent repairer used to dealing with this lens. Its a lovely lens well worth sorting out but its not something that should be tackled on a DIY basis. I had one which proved unrepairable and was finally sold to Malcolm Taylor for viable parts after he had been unable to reassemble it due to a variety of reasons.