The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Used 35mm f2 question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1963mca

1963mca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 20:00

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Has anyone encountered this problem? Just received a used 35mm f2, the front ring for the lens is loose, attempting to tighten it puts the aperture alignment mark way off to the left of the depth of field f2 center alignment mark. It is far more obvious when looking at the camera from the front with the 12526 hood attached correctly.

Attached File  Aperature index misaligned.jpg   64.46KB   11 downloads

Attached File  Lens Hood Mounted on 35mm f2.jpg   95.94KB   11 downloads

#2 Frase

Frase

Benutzer

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 20:59

From memory, you may need to tighten from the inside I can't quite remember but its not just a case of turning the front. If you do decide to strip the lens from the back the most important thing is to mark where the helicoil parts/releases.

I've had my version 4 in bits a few times fixing the focus and also replacing the focus lever, I'm sure a bit of googling will turn up something.

good luck

• lawman said thank you to this

#3 ericborgstrom

ericborgstrom

Benutzer

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • City / Ort:Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 19 May 2017 - 21:04

I had this problem with the Summilux-M 75 coming from a Wetzlar 6-bit coding.

Had to make a new trip.

/Eric

Attached File  LEICA SL (Typ 601) -04072016-L1040738.jpg   285.56KB   9 downloads

#4 Frase

Frase

Benutzer

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 21:05

This may help a bit

https://www.l-camera...on-4-summicron/

When you move the front can you not see anything on the rear of the lens thats moving need tightened?

Edited by Frase, 19 May 2017 - 21:07.

#5 lct

lct

Ex-Newbie

• Members
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 21:42

The optical cell is just unstuck from the focus mount due to the lens having been grabbed by the hood i guess. The optical cell is screwed in the focus mount and can be unscrewed this way when it is unstuck. A mere CLA should fix the problem normally.

Attached File  post-385-0-29593300-1463272499.jpg   170.58KB   6 downloads

Edited by lct, 19 May 2017 - 21:43.

#6 1963mca

1963mca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 23:04

Thank you, so it does not appear to be an unusual occurrence. I take it the camera/ lens is usable (focus should be correct?) even though the optical cell is a bit off center. I will perform  more searches to see if I can understand how to tighten it down in the proper aligned orientation.

#7 lct

lct

Ex-Newbie

• Members
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 00:45

The optical cell must me fixed in the right position if your issue is same as mine. A good workshop should do it easily i guess but some of them are not keen to work on the 35/2 v4 due to plastic parts in it AFAIK. i would ask DAG Camera Repair if i were you.

http://www.smallbusi...rg-wi-53575.htm

#8 adan

adan

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 7,002 posts
  • City / Ort:Denver

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:03

I will perform  more searches to see if I can understand how to tighten it down in the proper aligned orientation.

Not really any authorized way to do that. The "proper position" is screwed in tight. That is how it is tightened, like any other screw.

The problem is that what it screws into, in the back half of the lens, is broken or out of position. Not a DIY repair. Send the darn thing to an expert.

#9 pgk

pgk

Photographer

• Members
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:33

I think that if the 'chassis' for the optical cell is damaged it can be very difficult to repair due to the material it is made from and the lack of spare parts availability. I would have realignment done by a competent repairer used to dealing with this lens. Its a lovely lens well worth sorting out but its not something that should be tackled on a DIY basis. I had one which proved unrepairable and was finally sold to Malcolm Taylor for viable parts after he had been unable to reassemble it due to a variety of reasons.

Paul

www.marinewildlife.co.uk

"Procrastination is the thief of time" - Edward Young from "Night thoughts" 1742-1745 - no forums then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic