Leica T with Voigtlander 21mm 1.8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

JorisV,

I likely would have purchased the SL 601 'just because' it had been built, and I would have always been curious as to how much improved it might be.

Having said that, the T was lacking when it first appeared. It was a piece of art and so solidly built, but the lack of a viewfinder, slow AF, shutter lag, and slow lenses were all negatives. Nonetheless, the lenses were superb optically. When the software improved, some faster lenses were built, it made a big improvement.

I love the improvements the SL brings with the superb viewfinder, the faster AF, and much improved ISO range. But, it is a load to carry and still quite expensive. As photography is but a hobby for me, it is certainly a luxury to own, rather than an imperative.

Will I stay with it once the new TL comes out? I expect great things from the TL. If I can capably focus the noctilux and some of the other fast M lenses I'll be quite thrilled. Hopefully my optimism wins out. Likely, I'll keep the SL and buy into the TL line because the TL will be much easier of a burden to carry and will afford the 1.5 magnification to some of the wonderful M lenses, so in a sense will be a cheaper alternative to buying into more of the telephotos that Leica offers.

We shall see! I think Leica stands to make a fantastic entry into the APS-C market with a great product. And, I've been a lone voice on this, but I think the TL is also the future replacement/merger of the terrific X line (which seems to be on its way out).

Regards,

Rob