New Firmware 3.0

Fang

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just heard that Leica at the end of the month will have new Firmware 3.0 for Leica SL-System.

It will be available end of this month, the new firmware will write 35% faster to SD Card, Autofocus further optimised, ability to store DNG and JPG files in different SD cards and new customisation options.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 6

Form an orderly queue in looking forward to it! Writing jpgs to one SD card and DNG's to another is vital for press work and speedy turnaround, and currently even with speedy SD cards the write does take ages even on a burst or just 3 images.

Personally I REALLY REALLY hope the focal point stays where you left it after taking the shot with M lenses

• Like 2

Hello Fang, you forgot the electronic (silent) shutter:)

I hope there will be an update for the Novoflex SL/EOS adapter as well.

Unfortunately, these will not be the case based on the info I have received.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Fang:

Is it the end of May for the firmware release? I will be on holiday the whole month of June in Namibia & Botswana. Would be great to use the new firmware :)

And have you heard anything about HSS option? I so hope that that will finally be included...

And there is a photo in Instagram by Steffen Skopp (productmanager Leica SL) which shows a new program called "S". So we think it is electronic shutter: https://instagram.com/p/BSoDnEoAXvo/

Edited by fotoshootoplocatie

@Fang:

Is it the end of May for the firmware release? I will be on holiday the whole month of June in Namibia & Botswana. Would be great to use the new firmware :)

And have you heard anything about HSS option? I so hope that that will finally be included...

And there is a photo in Instagram by Steffen Skopp (productmanager Leica SL) which shows a new program called "S". So we think it is electronic shutter: https://instagram.com/p/BSoDnEoAXvo/

All it  says is "Improved Flash behaviours for AutoISO setting and continous bust shooting mode".  

@Fang:

DONT!!!

There is nothing worse that taking new untested firmware with you on your trip of a lifetime!  The least you can do, if you can't resist, is bring one (or one copy on every SD card you take, and on your digital vault, if you use one) copy of FW2.2 with you to Namibia and Botswana, so you can turn the clock back if you have to.

BTW, I really did enjoy Namibia and Botswana when we went, several years ago.  Don't ruin your trip by taking ONLY untested firmware with you.

But do enjoy it!

Guy

DONT!!!

There is nothing worse that taking new untested firmware with you on your trip of a lifetime!  The least you can do, if you can't resist, is bring one (or one copy on every SD card you take, and on your digital vault, if you use one) copy of FW2.2 with you to Namibia and Botswana, so you can turn the clock back if you have to.

BTW, I really did enjoy Namibia and Botswana when we went, several years ago.  Don't ruin your trip by taking ONLY untested firmware with you.

But do enjoy it!

Guy

You can't roll back. Not without your camera taking a holiday to Wetzlar...

What makes you think any new firmware is untested? 2.0 went through a vigorous beta test via a larger group of invited testers and was released into the wild as a very stable release. Leica seemed very pleased with the beta testers. Leica have actually become quite good at having non Leica people test their firmware releases and I think it works for them. Do you think that any significant update in the future won't get the same treatment?

Gordon

• Like 3

As a beta tester of PC software and camera firmware, it's clear to me that beta testing gets to most bugs but there can be times when some bug rears it's head once released to the general population. I certainly wouldn't install new firmware on a camera just before embarking on a mission critical project or trip of a lifetime.

I have just heard that Leica at the end of the month will have new Firmware 3.0 for Leica SL-System.

Sounds promising, it will be interesting to see which of the few dozen suggestions mentioned in this thread here they are going to implement.

DONT!!!

But do enjoy it!

Guy

Leica usually invites a group of 'normal' users to try and f*ck up the firmware they have previously extensively tested ...... for 4-6 weeks with several amended versions during that time.

Although minor issues occasionally remain it is pretty unusual for problems to slip through that cause significant difficulties. 

In recent years they have also tended to limit the number of changes in each update to avoid cataclysmic failures due multiple firmware alterations interacting in unexpected ways.

I would have less worries about using updated firmware than the original firmware the camera came with ......  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

The foil entitled "additional Improvements" is holding the key for future happiness. (point 5 - electronic shutter mode - and 6 - continuous exposure preview - and 7 - zoom with memory - are great)

Is this typical Leica understatement that they come almost at the end of the list after many "more important" changes.  :)

The only point missing for me (you know I always have to add anything negative) is a bug fix: Switch for LENR   (option to turn it on/off)  Or did I overlook/miss it ?

But I admit I would be very happy if the foils contained the real version 3.0 improvements.

Edited by steppenw0lf

Just think of the response on this forum when the next M10 firmware brings back video :p .

Heresy... in the Middle Ages they burned people for that...

• Like 1