New Firmware 3.0

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just heard that Leica at the end of the month will have new Firmware 3.0 for Leica SL-System.   It will be available end of this month, the new firmware will write 35% faster to SD Card, Autofocus further optimised, ability to store DNG and JPG files in different SD cards and new customisation options.   Looking forward to it.    

A good update. Thank you, Leica! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

Second page of CAMERA settings is Exp. Preview, change it to PAS from PAS

Ah yes, that makes sense now. Thanks buddy.

Sorry I hadn't read this far down. Terrible practice on my part. Apologies all round.

Glad aperture for adapted lenses is still in the EXIF. Would be stupid to remove data - even if it is not 100% reliable.

No unnecessary changes please, but add memory of focus point for M lenses (when shooting) and add switch for LENR.

Cannot understand why memory is only kept in play mode or with SL lenses. (Treat all lenses equal, that will make the usage easier and more intuitive.)

Good update.

Still extremely unhappy the exposure preview is forcibly disabled in Manual (camera) if you attach a TTL flash. It's a daft and stupid design decision that pushes me away from using the SL in some situations.

There is now no way of turning exposure preview OFF in P, A or S modes. So if you used that option before (I did, sometimes) you're outta luck.

LENR is still mandatory.

I honestly think Leica don't have any idea how working photographers actually use their cameras.

****sigh******

Gordon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HSS works fine with SF-40 and SF-64.  Presumably SF-58 too, but I don't have that flash.  I just put the SF-64 on the SL, SL in M mode, rotated the shutter speed back and forth from 1/250 to 1/320; TTL and TTL-HSS toggles back and forth accordingly on the SF-64 screen.

If you want HSS outdoors, you'll need to put the SL in full manual mode.  Outdoors (in daylight) the SL's metering is likely not to calculate an exposure gap due to more than ample light from the sun.  Thus, no need for the camera to send the "fire flash" message to hot shoe.  Best bet (based on my experience) is to put both the camera and flash in full manual mode.  You'll get HSS speeds.  

No doubt, Leica's flash schema for outdoor daylight fill is a tug-of-war.  If shooting in A mode or something along those lines, it's hopeless.  I've resorted to going full manual which is pain because there is an iteration process to get the exposure right.

This is never a struggle for me because I always use Manual exposure when shooting with a flash unit.

For HSS, I'll need a Leica-dedicated flash unit, that's all. 

>>Can't you see your aperture on a lens when you are shooting?

Irakly,

Of course I could check the aperture on the lens, and I realize that under the previous firmware the camera was only guessing at the aperture being used, but during a shoot, (being on assignment of plain leisure shooting), I would vary my aperture, or decide to focus wide open for added accuracy and then stop down the aperture by a stop or two, it was much easier to do all of that if I saw (with approximate accuracy) what my F stop was through the viewfinder, and not having to slow down, and leave the viewfinder to look at the lens.

And a point about the camera's accuracy in guessing the aperture- that didn't matter much to me that it was not 100% accurate- If I saw the display show f/1.4, 1.8, or even f/2 I knew the lens was open enough. If it would show f/5.6 or f/8 then I knew I was stopped down. 

With the M and the SL, when using manual lenses, I just turn the aperture ring the number of clicks I need to get from wherever I am to wherever I want to be on the aperture setting. I rarely if ever look at the aperture ring, or at the readout in the viewfinder.

Can't you see your aperture on a lens when you are shooting?

The problem with showing the aperture when shooting with lenses that do not report it back to the camera is that it is only an estimate, which is not accurate in at least 50% of cases. It is better to have no information at all than something that you cannot rely upon (and do not really need to).

Leica could have made it optional to show the information. Instead they removed a feature *some* people found useful (not me. couldn't care less.) just to please another group. Giving an option would be cool but removing features never is.

Gordon

Leica could have made it optional to show the information. Instead they removed a feature *some* people found useful (not me. couldn't care less.) just to please another group. Giving an option would be cool but removing features never is.

I suspect that Leica received a lot of complaints about the inaccuracy of the aperture estimation, given that they removed it from both the M10 and the SL. \

• For those who complained about it—not me—it's probably a relief to see it gone.
  • For those who didn't complain about it but don't care—me—"Eh, who cares?"
  • It's only those who seemed to find some value in having "never exactly right but usually close" information who complain. 

With the M and the SL, when using manual lenses, I just turn the aperture ring the number of clicks I need to get from wherever I am to wherever I want to be on the aperture setting. I rarely if ever look at the aperture ring, or at the readout in the viewfinder.

Yes, that's what I do a lot too, but sometimes I forget where my aperture is, and the readout in the viewfinder alerts me...

I wish we wouldn't have to keep the trigger half pressed in video to use dynamic or AF-C. Really impossible when using a gimbal or tripod even.

not sure if i do my test wrong but i was able to do stack focusing without have to trigger half press. I'm using 11-23mm lens. 2 things i noticed when i try to do stack focusing in AF-C:

1. If your object has dark color (more contrast), the auto focus pick up real fast. No need to trigger half press.

1. in stacking focus, if i don't put the camera so close to the object, it was able to continue focus back/front object with out trigger half press

I'm no expert but I believe 1/24 is used to mimic the frame rate of film recording. The "cinematic" look created by 1/24th is unique and highly regarded by some cinematographers.

I also suspect it's like the difference in fast 50's. If you know what you want it's immediately obvious but an ignoramus like me probably won't see it.

Gordon

Film (and often digital cinema) is 24 Frames Per Second, not the same thing as 1/24th of a second. Using a 180 degree shutter (most common shutter angle) that is an exposure duration of 1/48th of a second.

I agree.....My time is spent looking at the focal plane and adjusting accordingly to what I want to see.   The EVF in the SL is so outstanding in the way it presents the frame, there's no real need to look at anything else.

After the firmware upgrade something seems to be wrong with deleting images.

First I was not able to delete an image that I had marked (single). A few minutes later I was able to delete an image, but was not asked how many I wanted to delete (single or more), but instead the image was deleted immediately. (no confirmation)

So I have to be very careful now, not to delete by accident.

Do other users see the same problem ?  Or is this a new feature ?

I saw this problem only after updating the lenses (SL 90-280). First I did only an upgrade with an M/R lens attached. I do not know if it is important that there was a delay (of several hours) between updating the SL and the lenses. (I think it shouldn't).

Edited by steppenw0lf

>>Can't you see your aperture on a lens when you are shooting?

Irakly,

Of course I could check the aperture on the lens, and I realize that under the previous firmware the camera was only guessing at the aperture being used, but during a shoot, (being on assignment of plain leisure shooting), I would vary my aperture, or decide to focus wide open for added accuracy and then stop down the aperture by a stop or two, it was much easier to do all of that if I saw (with approximate accuracy) what my F stop was through the viewfinder, and not having to slow down, and leave the viewfinder to look at the lens.

And a point about the camera's accuracy in guessing the aperture- that didn't matter much to me that it was not 100% accurate- If I saw the display show f/1.4, 1.8, or even f/2 I knew the lens was open enough. If it would show f/5.6 or f/8 then I knew I was stopped down. 

Call me old fashioned, but I count aperture clicks while looking through a viewfinder.  One of those simple M tricks.

I've also observed the delete image change ..... after giving the first permission to remove a Single image, every subsequent touch of the delete/trash key removes another image.  If I go out of review and then back into review, then I am again given the choice of 'Single' "Multi' etc.   Certainly seems different from prior the new Firmware.

After the firmware upgrade something seems to be wrong with deleting images.

First I was not able to delete an image that I had marked (single). A few minutes later I was able to delete an image, but was not asked how many I wanted to delete (single or more), but instead the image was deleted immediately. (no confirmation)

So I have to be very careful now, not to delete by accident.

Do other users see the same problem ?  Or is this a new feature ?

I saw this problem only after updating the lenses (SL 90-280). First I did only an upgrade with an M/R lens attached. I do not know if it is important that there was a delay (of several hours) between updating the SL and the lenses. (I think it shouldn't).