New Firmware 3.0

Fang

HSS works fine with SF-40 and SF-64.  Presumably SF-58 too, but I don't have that flash.  I just put the SF-64 on the SL, SL in M mode, rotated the shutter speed back and forth from 1/250 to 1/320; TTL and TTL-HSS toggles back and forth accordingly on the SF-64 screen.

If you want HSS outdoors, you'll need to put the SL in full manual mode.  Outdoors (in daylight) the SL's metering is likely not to calculate an exposure gap due to more than ample light from the sun.  Thus, no need for the camera to send the "fire flash" message to hot shoe.  Best bet (based on my experience) is to put both the camera and flash in full manual mode.  You'll get HSS speeds.  

No doubt, Leica's flash schema for outdoor daylight fill is a tug-of-war.  If shooting in A mode or something along those lines, it's hopeless.  I've resorted to going full manual which is pain because there is an iteration process to get the exposure right.

I'm talking about full manual and sync speeds of 1/8000th of a second with a studio strobe, so you can kill the ambient in broad daylight and still use shallow depth of field. This is something you can do with modern strobes but only if the camera supports the communication with the transmitter. Profoto support it with Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus, but not Leica because the camera doesn't have the comm's built in to allow it.

Edited by geetee1972

• For Leica M and Leica R lenses the real-time display of the established aperture is hidden 

•  

?? Does that mean that from now on I cannot see what my F stop is when using M or R lenses?? Or am I not understanding?

Being able to see what my aperture was through the viewfinder (even if it was an educated guess by the camera) was useful to me.

This is something I would like to get back.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just installed the firmware and it is fabulous! A game-changer for sure. :D Just made a number of changes that I've long hoped for but the joystick focus reset is not immediately intuitive. Normally I press the joystick for rear focus, is it now a reset? Anyone know how the new focus reset option works?

• For Leica M and Leica R lenses the real-time display of the established aperture is hidden 

•  

?? Does that mean that from now on I cannot see what my F stop is when using M or R lenses?? Or am I not understanding?

Being able to see what my aperture was through the viewfinder (even if it was an educated guess by the camera) was useful to me.

Can't you see your aperture on a lens when you are shooting?

The problem with showing the aperture when shooting with lenses that do not report it back to the camera is that it is only an estimate, which is not accurate in at least 50% of cases. It is better to have no information at all than something that you cannot rely upon (and do not really need to).

The new firmware upgraded both SL zooms. To activate the upgrade, you need to mount a lens when the camera is switched off.

I wish there were new firmware for TL lenses (namely 18-56 zoom), which is absolutely great for 4K video, but sometimes acts erratically. 

>>Can't you see your aperture on a lens when you are shooting?

Irakly,

Of course I could check the aperture on the lens, and I realize that under the previous firmware the camera was only guessing at the aperture being used, but during a shoot, (being on assignment of plain leisure shooting), I would vary my aperture, or decide to focus wide open for added accuracy and then stop down the aperture by a stop or two, it was much easier to do all of that if I saw (with approximate accuracy) what my F stop was through the viewfinder, and not having to slow down, and leave the viewfinder to look at the lens.

And a point about the camera's accuracy in guessing the aperture- that didn't matter much to me that it was not 100% accurate- If I saw the display show f/1.4, 1.8, or even f/2 I knew the lens was open enough. If it would show f/5.6 or f/8 then I knew I was stopped down. 

• Like 5

•  

It was useful to me too...disappointed, why they have to remove? 

Would like to get it back, maybe with an option of view/hidden (those who do not want can put on hidden and look at Aperture on the Lens)

• Like 2

Rafikiphoto:

>>Some of us complained about this but others thought it wasn't useful. They won.

...So the nixing of this feature was because there was need to use the resources within the camera for another feature?

Or was this something like: "since we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy of the information we will just delete it"?

I'm having upgraders remorse, wish I could downgrade to v. 2.2 

• Like 1

The problem with showing the aperture when shooting with lenses that do not report it back to the camera is that it is only an estimate, which is not accurate in at least 50% of cases. It is better to have no information at all than something that you cannot rely upon (and do not really need to).

That's your opinion. If you don't want it you are fine. For those that do want it, there should be no reason not to have the option.

Edited by rafikiphoto
  • Like 3

The decision to remove the aperture guess was made for the M10 and is just the new M approach filtering into the SL. Personally, I prefer not having incorrect EXIF data, but I sympathise for those who miss it. In the end, at this time, I suppose Leica prefers the field to be blank than for every photo with an M lens to have wobbly EXIF data embedded,