New Firmware 3.0

Fang

sorry Ingo but Yes, it does.

When I zoom in the picture and scroll away from the center to set the focus and take a shoot, the focal point resets to the center. So I have to re-adjust this for the next shot.

Or are we talking about different things here?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I zoom in the picture and scroll away from the center to set the focus and take a shoot, the focal point resets to the center. So I have to re-adjust this for the next shot.

Ha... good question :)

You are right in your description!

I shoot with focus peaking and that is so clear and good that I don't use the zoom in for focussing. In the play-mode the focal point stays where it was and so there is no re-adjustment necessary. This is great for the final control after I took the shot.

According to your explanation I'm not sure what was meant.

You're right, the functionality you were hoping for is not implemented; neither is the ability to lock the spot meter location with the zoomed focusing view. I would have liked to see those implemented. And no HSS either. Do Leica not anticipate people using strobes outside with shutter speeds faster than 1/250th?

I shoot with focus peaking and that is so clear and good that I don't use the zoom in for focussing. In the play-mode the focal point stays where it was and so there is no re-adjustment necessary. This is great for the final control after I took the shot.

Sorry, hit the wrong button without entering my thoughts.  Like the new update. Control of audio using the joystick instead of having to dive into the menus is great.  Can disable exposure preview when shooting; fantastic when using flash.  Now, I just rely on the exposure meter in-camera, something I used to do and its so accurate, no need for exposure preview.  BUT, I'm confused by this line in the Leica literature "

• Improved usability in play mode when zooming to 1:1 (100%) , location gets stored to easy access

the same location 

What I'd like is to have is my selected "zoom-in-to-focus" point on the screen to stay locked in the position I prefer/select, and usually not in the center.  Can that be enabled as a default?

I wish there was a better description of what the implementation is of things that are improved. Specifically (from the firmware description sheet):

- MF-/AF-control optimized

- Improved: AF field chances while recording video 

- Improved: AFc while recoding video 

• Like 1

Focus limit no longer seems to be working after FW update with either the 24-90 or 90-280. I assume it worked before. I wanted to use it just now, trying to photograph a pair of military helicopters playing tag, below the level of my patio (the house is built on the edge of a cliff). The SL was really struggling to focus on them, so I thought if I could limit the focus range to say 150 metres to infinity, that would speed things up. The menu item is greyed out in all modes on the camera. 

Wilson

You're right, the functionality you were hoping for is not implemented; neither is the ability to lock the spot meter location with the zoomed focusing view. I would have liked to see those implemented. And no HSS either. Do Leica not anticipate people using strobes outside with shutter speeds faster than 1/250th?

HSS works fine with SF-40 and SF-64.  Presumably SF-58 too, but I don't have that flash.  I just put the SF-64 on the SL, SL in M mode, rotated the shutter speed back and forth from 1/250 to 1/320; TTL and TTL-HSS toggles back and forth accordingly on the SF-64 screen.

If you want HSS outdoors, you'll need to put the SL in full manual mode.  Outdoors (in daylight) the SL's metering is likely not to calculate an exposure gap due to more than ample light from the sun.  Thus, no need for the camera to send the "fire flash" message to hot shoe.  Best bet (based on my experience) is to put both the camera and flash in full manual mode.  You'll get HSS speeds.  

No doubt, Leica's flash schema for outdoor daylight fill is a tug-of-war.  If shooting in A mode or something along those lines, it's hopeless.  I've resorted to going full manual which is pain because there is an iteration process to get the exposure right.