New Firmware 3.0

Fang

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow, shooting DNG + Jpg to a second SD card is VERY slow, so slow I thought there was something wrong with my camera (on Sandisk and Lexar cards), camera briefly locked up etc - bad news on a shoot till I suddenly thought I would just try shooting DNG only, like before

Shooting DNG ONLY and backup to second SD card is very quick, much faster than before..

That's interesting. I hadn't noticed any speed difference. I'll check when I get home.

I devised a simple test to estimate overall save to SD performance: 

• Camera settings: max size JPEG, drive mode high-continuous 11fps, manual exposure @ ISO 400 @ 1/1000 sec, manual focus. 
  • A Sandisk Extreme Pro SD10 class, 64G capacity card, is installed in each slot.
  • Method: Start a stopwatch simultaneous with releasing the shutter, hold shutter until buffer is full (~33 exposures or ~3 seconds), stop stopwatch when IO activity light stops blinking.

The results were as follows with three passes for each configuration of DNG/DNG+JPEG and save mode.

DNG ONLY: 

SD1=SD2 copy mode - 81 seconds

SD1+SD2 standard mode - 43 seconds

DNG+JPEG:

SD1=SD2 copy mode - 103 seconds

SD1+SD2 standard mode - 71 seconds

SD1/SD2 split mode - 71 seconds

No lockups experienced in this test. Obviously, shooting DNG only saves write time by a healthy percentage, whether you use copy mode or standard mode. What's a little surprising to me is that DNG+JPEG split mode is just as fast as DNG+JPEG standard mode. The other time differences seem to make sense given the total volume of data being written. 

My Lexar 128G cards are faster and have the UHS additional hardware in them, which might complicate timings given the differences between the two card slots, but I figured this was a simple enough test to see the basic speed differences in the various output and save configurations. All the IO is buffered and doesn't lock up the camera, however, so unless you're shooting long sequences which fill the buffer all the time these write time differences should have minimal impact on your shooting workflow. 

• Like 2

can anyone let me know how well improved the SL focuses on AF-C now? that was a major drawback for me on this system for the number of times I've had loaners thats what deterred me from ditching my Nikon sir system in favor of the SL. in my experience the SL's kit zooms are absolutely incredible, so much so that I'd think they're by far the best 35mm zoom lenses out there by a long shot, they handle shooting into the light as well as the 28/2 ASPH M which is by far my favorite for that sort of thing.

anyway - I'm super excited at the prospect of the new firmware fixing the issues with this SL camera system that held me back from getting on board with it.

so please - let me know how much better it focuses for movement, I need to be able to rely on this camera for a fast moving subject in a number of lighting situations but most importantly for sports with plenty of light, and concerts on stages with ample light as well.

cheers,

jesse

I don't know how to measure "how much better" the AFc focusing is now. I don't use AFc all that often, but I wanted to do a quick test.

I tested tracking and AFc between my Nikon D750 + Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-D and the SL with SL90-280 @180mm setting, I found the SL nailed the focus just slightly more frequently than the Nikon D750 did. My test subject was a middle-school football game with me sitting in the bleachers. 

• Like 1

It is never easy to carry out objective testing unless one can repeat the test under constant environment and have means of collecting tangible data for comparison.

In your test, having a D750 + teller at equivalent focal length as 90-380mm is a bench test already. Granted the D750 is not the best sports event DSLR. But we are not expecting the SL to beat the best available AF tracking system. It is the confidence we are looking for in SL as a good jack of all trades AF Mirrorless Digital Camera,

For my needs,I am more than happy the two native zooms I currently have cover 24-280mm, and are no doubt no less superior to most prime lenses. My only anticipated lens now is the announced 16-35mm which I wold like to add to my SL collection of lenses. As for primes, I'm happy to use my M 21mm Lux & Nocti on my SL as I generally have no need for AF application on those focal length primes. For the most of us who already own the M system, the SL complimented the lack of AF when the need arises. More often than not, I encounter dilemma to carry my M240 with M primes or SL with both SL zooms for trips.

Quick question.

On the M lenses I remember whenever I moved the focus tab the SL used to immediately zoom, now I have to use the joystick pushed in like a back button focus. I can't find in the new *improved* menu how to reset it to zoom when I move the focus tab.

Hopefully that wasn't removed.

Quick question.

On the M lenses I remember whenever I moved the focus tab the SL used to immediately zoom, now I have to use the joystick pushed in like a back button focus. I can't find in the new *improved* menu how to reset it to zoom when I move the focus tab.

Hopefully that wasn't removed.

The SL could never do this because an M lens (used on any adapter to the SL available) has no connection (electronic or mechanical) to the SL that would allow the SD to detect that you are changing the focus setting. It's simply not possible with any current adapter. The M could do this with its EVF since the rangefinder cam on an M lens will always move the camera's rangefinder lever, therefore the M could be programmed to show focus peaking or magnification whenever the focus setting is changed. 

The joystick button (since SL firmware 2.0) has acted as a quick 'focus assist' toggle for M and any other adapted lenses. Tap it and you have 1:1 focus magnification. Tap it again, or half-press the shutter release, and the view reverts to normal. What Firmware 3 brings is the ability to assign this same function for manual focus with SL dedicated lenses, in addition to its other AF-specific capabilities. 

It's too bad the M-SL adapter does not have an RF cam to auto-trigger magnify.

There was a Canadian selling adapters for M lenses to Sony NEX/A7 mount which did this.

Pricing was actually not so bad, but he stopped selling them after the 2nd batch..

You'd think Leica themselves could/would do similar.

Sell more SLs to M lens owners.

Sell more M lenses to SL owners.

Sell more adapters to both...

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

can anyone let me know how well improved the SL focuses on AF-C now? that was a major drawback for me on this system for the number of times I've had loaners thats what deterred me from ditching my Nikon sir system in favor of the SL. in my experience the SL's kit zooms are absolutely incredible, so much so that I'd think they're by far the best 35mm zoom lenses out there by a long shot, they handle shooting into the light as well as the 28/2 ASPH M which is by far my favorite for that sort of thing.

anyway - I'm super excited at the prospect of the new firmware fixing the issues with this SL camera system that held me back from getting on board with it.

so please - let me know how much better it focuses for movement, I need to be able to rely on this camera for a fast moving subject in a number of lighting situations but most importantly for sports with plenty of light, and concerts on stages with ample light as well.

cheers,

jesse

Got to this place to try to catch some racing action with AFc and Tracking in FW 3.0 and see if it makes a difference.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ok, the day at the racetrack is over and I can say from reviewing the images in the camera that I'm very happy with the success rate. Wait till you see them. I still need to go through them on my computer. AFc with tracking of horses racing by at 40mph at close distance works much better with FW 3.0 IMO. I tried to shoot a series of pictures of each race with the aperture wide open while maintaining focus on the same or the front running horse. Absolutely stunning looking at them in the EVF and zooming in.

But I wouldn't go as far as to say ditch you phase-detect AF SLR that you're using for sports and concerts. The SL with the 90-280 did great the whole day. But for the last race I moved to a spot that I thought would be less favorable to the SL's contrast-detect AF and where it could back focus more easily. I missed a great shot in a series of pictures where the SL did back focus. I will post it here. You'll see what I mean.

Edited by Chaemono

The first three. The others will take longer. Full resolution here:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-kwJ7f2/

This is at the B.A.U. Turf in Monnem. Ok, it's really Mannheim in Germany but out of the respect for the local dialect it's Monnem which is also easier to pronounce for the English speaking readers here. I acquired focus, kept the shutter half pressed or was shooting as I panned along. These are at 90mm, f/2.8. Horses flying by at around 40mph. Un-freaking-believable.

• Like 2

Ok, three more. There is a fourth one where the camera for some reason focused on the horse in the background. Panning along to keep track of the horses with EVF blackout was a bit of challenge. I've included the one with the back focus in the full resolution ones here:

Love the colors.

• Like 1

Look at this series. Just to show AFc. My panning was off here as I had to guess where the horses were due to EVF blackout. But look how well the tracking now works. Amazing.

Full resolution here:

• Like 1

Or these. Tracking is unbelievable now. More to follow.

Full resolution here:

Two more. Full resolution here:

• Like 1

How about these. Really effortless to track if they weren't flying by at 40mph. Full resolution here:

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 2

You can use manual focus with the 90-280 as well if you prefer it. There is no need to change the lens.

I use the 'back-button-focus'-technique to separate focus and shutter release. 

Thanks, perhaps you have a chance to tell me your settings for this 'back button focus' technique, I know there is a separate thread but I am still unclear about the concrete settings and button assignments - Danke! 

Thanks, perhaps you have a chance to tell me your settings for this 'back button focus' technique, I know there is a separate thread but I am still unclear about the concrete settings and button assignments - Danke!

- Set the joystick button to AF when the camera is set to MF

- Set camera to MF

Now the lens will focus manually as you turn the control ring, and you make the auto focus system operate by pressing the joystick. The shutter release is thus completely independent of the focusing operations. You can use the shutter release as a one-shot AE-Lock by targeting the subject after focusing, half pressing the release to set exposure, then reframing while holding the release halfway. Finish pressing the shutter to make the exposure.

- Set the joystick button to AF when the camera is set to MF

- Set camera to MF

Now the lens will focus manually as you turn the control ring, and you make the auto focus system operate by pressing the joystick. The shutter release is thus completely independent of the focusing operations. You can use the shutter release as a one-shot AE-Lock by targeting the subject after focusing, half pressing the release to set exposure, then reframing while holding the release halfway. Finish pressing the shutter to make the exposure.

Thanks, that is what I actually did, and by pressing the button it was motoring a lot to try to find focus - I haven't been to the club since to see if it is better with FW3 under these extreme conditions, but overall my subjective impression is that low light AF is improved quite a bit based on behaviour during a recent trip

A few more on AFc and tracking from Monnem this Sunday. Here tracking didn't work because I failed to pan. Still, love how precise the focusing works. I'm absolutely enamored with this lens. 

Full resolution here:

Here tracking worked beautifully.

Full resolution here:

Here tracking worked beautifully.

Full resolution here:

None of these three photos look acceptably focused to me when I view them at original size (on an IPad Pro). The focus looks like it's not locked where I would expect (horse's head/eyes or jockey's head/eyes).

Where was the intended focus point? It might be an example where the focus point size on the SL combined with shallow DOF and (not smart enough) AF doesn't suit the subject matter.