New Firmware 3.0

Fang

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Avoiding a firmware update is not just because of the risk of residual bugs. You might actually prefer an older functionality that is changed by new firmware.

Just think of the response on this forum when the next M10 firmware brings back video :p .

The upcoming FW 3.0 will bring us a lot of substantial enhancements - I state it would be rather foolish to ignore them...

Infortunately the list does not include an option to switch off all video functions.

I don't want or need them and accidentally enabaling video mode had lost me some unrepeatable pictures.

The M240 eventually got this feature, admittedly it was far too easy to select video, but still not the SL.  

• Like 1

Does the focal point stay where you left it after taking the shot with M lenses?

I hope so...

Maybe...  I'm hoping this is just poorly written -

"Improved usability in play mode when zooming to 1:1 (100%), location gets stored to easy access the same location."

I don't get why we need this in "Play" mode because that's just a simple double tap on the rear screen.  Hopefully a beta tester will chime in and confirm or deny.

Infortunately the list does not include an option to switch off all video functions.

I don't want or need them and accidentally enabaling video mode had lost me some unrepeatable pictures.

The M240 eventually got this feature, admittedly it was far too easy to select video, but still not the SL.

You can can take stills when shooting video, so even if you accidentally start recording there is a good chance you can still get the shot or worst case, if you set video at 4K resolution, you could grab a frame from the video.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very keen on seeing the fully-electronic shutter.

On a7R II there are severe limitations  (see reports from Philipp Reeve  https://phillipreeve.net/blog/limitations-of-the-electronic-shutter-function/

and Jim Kasson http://blog.kasson.com   )  resulting in the recommendation not to use it if above 1/500th second. (And to expect negative influences on bokeh using EFCS ...)

I wonder if the SL has similar limits or allows using the full range. That would be an achievement - especially considering it comes with a simple upgrade.

Edited by steppenw0lf

"

I don't get why we need this in "Play" mode because that's just a simple double tap on the rear screen.  Hopefully a beta tester will chime in and confirm or deny.

Beta Testers sign a non-disclosure agreement and risk all their gear being confiscated by Leica as a punishment if they even mention the word f*rmware. 

It seems I am one of the few video users here in that forum, but I dare to adress a wish: Please open up the possibility to manually control the audio level!

And keep AF-C engaged with a single click of the shutter instead of requiring either constant half-press pressure OR a remote release cable to keep AF-C engaged

Infortunately the list does not include an option to switch off all video functions.

I don't want or need them and accidentally enabaling video mode had lost me some unrepeatable pictures.

The M240 eventually got this feature, admittedly it was far too easy to select video, but still not the SL.

heartfelt agreement here. I managed somehow to get the wretched thing into video mode mid wedding recently. Could I get it out? Not quickly. Luckily I have my base settings saved as a 'user' so I was able to go back to that. I wish the video would go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am very keen on seeing the fully-electronic shutter.

On a7R II there are severe limitations (see reports from Philipp Reeve https://phillipreeve.net/blog/limitations-of-the-electronic-shutter-function/

and Jim Kasson http://blog.kasson.com ) resulting in the recommendation not to use it if above 1/500th second. (And to expect negative influences on bokeh using EFCS ...)

I wonder if the SL has similar limits or allows using the full range. That would be an achievement - especially considering it comes with a simple upgrade.

I have had a few very distorted pictures using the electronic shutter.

I have had a few very distorted pictures using the electronic shutter.

I've never tried it on the SL as the shutter is so unobtrusive and what noise it does make is lovely so I've never felt the need to.

I've never tried it on the SL as the shutter is so unobtrusive and what noise it does make is lovely so I've never felt the need to.

of course you're right. But you know, 400 asa, bright sunlight gets brighter, the iris is wide and suddenly boom you're on 16000 th.

• Like 1

Yep, I'm all for that also. It would be even better if the focal point and the spot meter were also locked; that would be really useful for portraiture.

That works fantastically with the two Varios (and, of course, with the SL 50), but not with the adapted M-Lenses. Neither in the future, I fear...

That works fantastically with the two Varios (and, of course, with the SL 50), but not with the adapted M-Lenses. Neither in the future, I fear...

Is that right? I didn't know that. I can't see why it would need to be a function of the lens though, i.e. why it couldn't be implemented via firmware?

I actually tried the 50SL yesterday. It is wrist snappingly heavy; I think you really need the vertical grip to use it effectively for portraits.