A Very Pleasant Surprise!!

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've spent a lot of time this spring trying to photograph the various birds that visit our garden. One of the most spectacular is the Baltimore Oriole, so I've devoted far more time to trying to get good shots of those wary birds than any others. Today one was darting around from branch to branch and as I was trying to get a good shot, a pair of Cedar Waxwings flew in. This is the first time I've ever seen Cedar Waxwings in our garden. I used to see them often while fishing on a small stream about 20 miles away, but it's been years since I've seen them there and I wondered if they were dying out due to habitat loss. I was extremely shocked to see this pair here, and even more shocked when one perched in nice light close enough for me to get this image.

The second photo is of the Baltimore Oriole I was trying to photograph when the Cedar Waxwings flew in.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Michael and Stuart, thank you. I just saw the pair of waxwings again and figured out what is attracting them. It's a large flowering bush that has some kind of small, red fruit. They pecked around in it for several minutes.

Edited by fotografr

Two very fine takings, compliments ! Can you detail the gear used ?

Thank you, Luigi. These were taken with the Leica V Lux 114 with the telephoto fully extended to 400mm.

Best Regards,

Brent

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1