Should it be 'Nr' or No'?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

William, 

Does your model 1 have flash sync? From my internal body serial number, I am fairly sure it comes from a Model I but I was not sure if they have had flash

My Ic is SN Nr 562499 from 1951 with the enlarged chassis of the c and subsequent models. It has two cold shoes but no sync facility. The first I model with sync facility is, I believe, the somewhat rare If Black Dial; only 1188 copies were made in 1952 before it was replaced by the more common If Red dial (15,786 copies). I was offered a If Black Dial at Photographica last Sunday, but I was concentrated on another purchase, so I passed on it.

William

My Ic is SN Nr 562499 from 1951 with the enlarged chassis of the c and subsequent models. It has two cold shoes but no sync facility. The first I model with sync facility is, I believe, the somewhat rare If Black Dial; only 1188 copies were made in 1952 before it was replaced by the more common If Red dial (15,786 copies). I was offered a If Black Dial at Photographica last Sunday, but I was concentrated on another purchase, so I passed on it.

William

William, 

It was your Reid I (P2132) , I was referring to about flash sync. 

Wilson

Sorry about that, Wilson. The Reid Model I which I have has the two flash sync contacts on the front marked 'E' and 'B' just like the Model IIIa. It also has 'LEICESTER Eng' on the front of the shutter speed 'mound'.

William 

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

Hmm... the 397.635 with "Nr. " is intriguing (also for the writing in capital - with GMBH...)... do you think is a later factory upgrade or a "wartime uncomplete-unassigned s/n" ? ; I have a not so far IIIc (383.895)... but it's at all normal, with "No" and the then normal writings...

Luigi,

your 383xxx is from regular production, might be so called "half race". 

After Letz stopped production of screwmount they were "cleaning" the factory, former Betriebskameras were overhauled and sold internaly. This was early sixties. Some of the cameras received new top cover and "civil" SN, but some of them still have Betriebsk number. My camera has Betriebsk engraved on the frame inside and handwritten "064" on some of the parts, including shell,. This could have been the original Betriebskamera number, camera has sharkskin Vulcanit  an Betriebskameras numbers below 100 were assigned to early IIIc. Cameras with regular SN were assigned previously unused numbers in the range of 397xxx. Occassionaly other cameras from this series may be found on the market, recently Leicashop had (maybe still have) 3 of them out of Bawendi collection (Dr. Bawendi was one of grounders of Leica Historica and is famous collector).

The other, black camera on the photo is from a short series of black IIIc which were for internal use (Leitz Eigentum).

Edited by jerzy
  • Like 1