35 mm viewfinder, I didn't think that through too well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week I picked up a Nikkor 35mm LTM to go with my 50mm Elmar. Hunting around for a viewfinder I came upon one designed for the Olympus Pen with an equivalent focal length of 34mm. Reviews of the viewfinder were good, it's clear and has good brightlines. So I went ahead and ordered one.

As you can see below, trying to fit a viewfinder not designed for a Barnack didn't work out too well.

Now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to return it or modify it, I do like it very much. It's also not as big as the photo suggetsts, the size is perfect.

cc115aa595f20f09fb570dc3fea36d87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mikemgb

If it's going to give you what you are after, and you have some confidence in being able to skim enough off the bottom corner to fit, and you don't harbour strong feelings about viewfinder resale values, it may be time to pull out the Dremel / file / emery paper.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leitz SBLOO is excellent, but costly and rather big... years ago, I used a Russian 35mm plastic finder, black, cheap, small... not comparable to SBLOO, but decent anyway in use.

The Helios finder - I have one, but its accuracy is how shall we say, rather loose! 

Thanks all, I looked at the SBLOO but, call me cheap, I would have a hard time spending almost as much on a finder as the lens! I think I can make this one work, all I need to do is lift it by about 1/8", since I don't use this camera for close shooting parallax error isn't an issue at all.

Now I'm googling to see if it would be possible to add 50 and 90mm frame lines.....

Thanks all, I looked at the SBLOO but, call me cheap, I would have a hard time spending almost as much on a finder as the lens! I think I can make this one work, all I need to do is lift it by about 1/8", since I don't use this camera for close shooting parallax error isn't an issue at all. Now I'm googling to see if it would be possible to add 50 and 90mm frame lines.....

In that case pick up a Helios finder mentioned above - small and multiple frame lines (I think from memory 35/50/80

In that case pick up a Helios finder mentioned above - small and multiple frame lines (I think from memory 35/50/80

I looked at the Helios but it's 35, 85, 135, I'm very unlikely to want a 135mm lens on a Leica III, that's what SLRs are for. As Michael said above, a spacer of some kind and I should be good to go.

• Like 1

Hello Mike,

Altho with the long focus throw of a 135MM, F4 Elmar there should not be any problems.

Best Regards,

Michael

I'm sure that's true, but I tend to build camera systems for specific purposes, my Barnacks are for compact pocket carry while travelling, experience tells me I probably won't need more than a 90mm for that. Neither my LTM or my M systems are likely to go beyond that.

If I do need longer I have a fairly extensive M42 system based round a couple of Mamiya/Sekor bodies.

Isn't the aspect ratio wrong on the Olympus viewfinder?

I'll add to the chorus praising the SBLOO - they're old now, but still very bright. Another option is the lovely Zeiss optical finder for the Sony RX1. Normally they're horribly expensive, but I got a new one for $199 from B and H a few months ago when they were running a promotion. I'm not sure what they're currently charging, but I suspect the reduced price was a reflection of the fact that very few people were willing to pay four or five hundred dollars for a finder.

In the cold light of morning, I have decided to return this finder and hunt for one better suited for the purpose. It's nice but I don't want to hack it up to fit.

Whew! Good decision, IMHO. Have you seen the CV mini viewfinder?

Scroll down this page for info.

Yes, it is insanely expensive. Consider the less expensive, conical shaped Voigtlander finder,

or as Luigi suggested, the Russian versions which are very inexpensive.

vcMF2.3g..jpg

Edited by pico

Whew! Good decision, IMHO. Have you seen the CV mini viewfinder?

Scroll down this page for info.

Yes, it is insanely expensive. Consider the less expensive, conical shaped Voigtlander finder,

or as Luigi suggested, the Russian versions which are very inexpensive.

vcMF2.3g..jpg

I love that mini viewfinder, but you're right, when you can find them they are costly. Gary found me an SBOOI for a very reasonable cost but it's in NZ and buying from the site it's on is problematic if you're not in NZ or Australia.

I'm about ready to order the Voigtlander finder from B&H but I'm holding off while I do some more research, I've already figure I'm going to have to pay more than I wanted to, so now I'm just looking for the smallest one I can find.

I did just receive an LTM to M adapter for the lens, it's certainly a lot smaller than the DR Summicron that I have on my M2!

Edited by mikemgb

The VC is very good, my usual vf for 35mm. However, before I ordered it, I made a sample from scratch. I disassembled a $5 charity shop 35mm pocket camera, which had framing lines in the vf, and covered it with some sheet aluminum I had on hand, added a plastic bottom. It wasn't perfect, but it does a great job.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3