I need the BEST travel tripod for my SL (using M lenses)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Gitzo carbon G1028 which I use with a Leica ball head(14110). It is a magnificent travel solution. The head is carried at the bottom of the tripod between the folded legs. Everything goes into a shoulder bag. There are a lot of solutions out there, but I have never in 40 years of using them been let down by a Gitzo. You just need to pick the right one. ....and they are expensive. Good luck !

I'd try a Linhof Profi-Port II with a Leica B&S head (14110), I have one. The centre column extension screws inside the centre column itself. You can leave it behind if you want less weight, but a lower more stable position. Theres also a socket a few inches off the ground to fit the B&S head for really low shots. The early catalogues show the folded tripod inside a suitcase!

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Linhof-Tripods

Linhof Profi - Port II Tripod

43/ 146cm, 3 sections, extremely compact and easily portable tripod for the travelling photographer. Sliding dual section centrepost, for cameras up to 4kg (9lb).
Edited by jpattison
  • Like 1