I need the BEST travel tripod for my SL (using M lenses)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Okay, I already have the best tripod on the market for planned tripod work (I have the Gitzu Mountaineer xxxxx) can't remember the exact model number but its the best, I can use my SL, S, Hasselblad, 4 x 5 Nikon D5 everything I have got and its perfect.

Okay enough about all that crap, where it lacks is in its mobility :(. Example you defiantly wouldn't want to walk around town all day with that puppy strapped to you back or having to be carrying it) So I'm in the market for a small light tripod, something that would be very light small and compact and only needed to support a SL with say a 21mm SEM for a grab shot.

"Scenario" I have been to a park in Japan and have been taking pictures all afternoon in good light (no need for a tripod), its now approaching 6 pm and the light is fading, I switch to the Noctilux and continue shooting at f~1, I now come across a lovely picture in the woods with some fantastic light shining through but the majority of the frame is dark, this is when I want to be able to grab that portable tripod and get that shot at say f8 and 1/10 at ISO50 "you know what I mean" we've all been there and missed it or tried it at ISO 3200 and when you get home and put it up on the computer its sh!te

So my question is what tripod meets all those specs light, compact, can hold a SL with M lenses long enough for a grab shot (max 3 seconds)

When I say compact I mean something that can fit in a trouser side picket or across the top of the smallest bilighan bag. I already have a Leica tabletop tripod but its useless unless you also carry a table with you :) :) they are useless for what I want to do above.

As always any feedback tips, banter is always much appreciated 

Neil

Why don't you just pay someone to come with you and carry the Gitzo plus all that lovely expensive kit around for you? Who knows they might also be able to help you with your spelling.

Edited by geetee1972
  • Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Why don't you just pay someone to come with you and carry the Gitzo plus all that lovely expensive kit around for you? Who knows they might also be able to help you with your spelling.

WOW

Thanks for your help there best buddy................

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I always have a RRS Travel Kit with me.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Travel-Clamp-Kits

This is often more handy than a table tripod (I use the RRS Ultra Pocket 'Pod http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TFA-01-Ultra-Pocket-Pod)

As a travel tripod I use a Gitzo GT1545T.

The clamp looks great, your second link is broken

Thanks for the feedback

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Iv

I would get a size zero gitzo carbon tripod RRS BH-30LR head and SL baseplate.

RRS might have a tripod also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the RSS base plate already...you mean like this tripod? https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/gitzo/tripods/traveler?vtc_weight=890-990

I'm thinking like something more compact :)

Neil ..... you are after the legendary superlite travel tripod made of Unobtanium which folds down to 15cm and can be stored in your underpants ...... but sadly it is now out of production ....... 

Light and small generally = Crap.

The best you are going to get is a Gitzo series 0 4 section traveller with an Arca Swiss P0 head. 

Than comes in at 1.4kg and overall length with head of 37cm. The Arca is a fantastic design and very easy to adjust

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil ..... you are after the legendary superlite travel tripod made of Unobtanium which folds down to 15cm and can be stored in your underpants ...... but sadly it is now out of production ....... 

Light and small generally = Crap.

The best you are going to get is a Gitzo 4 section traveller with an Arca Swiss P0 head. 

Gordon

I just tried googling that Unobtainium .....correct no stock :) :)

The Gitzo 4 is to big, I need something compact but with long legs 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

So my question is what tripod meets all those specs light, compact, can hold a SL with M lenses long enough for a grab shot (max 3 seconds)

When I say compact I mean something that can fit in a trouser side picket or across the top of the smallest bilighan bag. I already have a Leica tabletop tripod but its useless unless you also carry a table with you :) :) they are useless for what I want to do above.

Can we please think out of the box. I already have a real tripod, its just something to GRAB a last minute shot, if I already know I'm going to be using a tripod I will take my tripod............grab shot grab shot.

what about one of these modells? 

http://joby.com/gorillapod

they come in different sizes and strength.

The SLR model looks quite promising, i just want something with longer legs........its not easy bending over when your approaching 60 :( :( :( 

Why not first get a small, light backpack that can easily attach a travel pod that is out of the way until you need it, like a Think Tank Trifecta or one of their Streetwalker series.

A Small Gitzo or RRS tripod with a small head will easily fit on the back of the pack. I like the RRS TQC-14 with their BH-30 head.

BTW, you don't need a table for the Leica pod...you can use it as a chest pod quite effectively.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

WOW

Thanks for your help there best buddy................

Wait a minute I thought you said banter would be appreciated? I was merely making an oblique reference to your obvious and substantial means (as well as consistent poor spelling - I confess that was a little dig but it does come from a reformed bad speller. Bad spellers of the untie), and suggesting that perhaps with those resources, one solution might be to simply hire a personal valet to carry it all for you.

I would be more than happy to consider your terms. I am a very capable speller and not a bad photographer either. Perhaps I could help you in many more ways than just as a mule?

• Like 1

I have rummaged in my drawers and found a Trek-Tech T-pod which folds down to nothing and would hold an SL + Noctilux. Connectors are magnetic.

That would get you off the ground a bit ..... but probably not as high as you want. 

Not sure it's still available ...... and there was a much taller Trekpod Go Pro. Try Ebay. http://www.trek-tech.com/products/trekpods.html

Thanks man, its kind of like a bigger sized leica tabletop...right??

Yes, but very versatile because the legs can be splayed out. 

It's a newer version of this one: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269686-novoflex-canon-ef-lens-to-leica-sl-adapter-list-of-compatibletested-lenses/?p=3233830

BTW. The GorillaPods are relatively big and not so stable. 

joby-slr-zoom-lowepro-tahoe.jpg