Determining New Sensor - M9

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9 was sent to Leica in October 2015 and collected back in July 2016. The hardware info is:

CCD ID :15

CCD Board ID : 2

Control Brd ID : 2

M16C ID : 0

You indeed have the new updated sensor.  My M9-P sensor was also replaced by Leica NJ in April 2016 with the new sensor.  There also appears to be a CCD ID: 16 sensor showing up on 2017 dated replacements.  

Here is my hardware info:

CCD ID:15

CCD Board ID: 2

Control Brd: 9

M16C ID: 0

The original CCD for the M9 was CCD ID: 11

Best Regards

Edited by rrdiaz30

My M9-P was sent to Leica Germany around April this year 2017 and returned by the end of June (FW:1.210). Follows the majority:

CCD ID :15
CCD Board ID : 2
Control Brd ID : 2
M16C ID : 0

Not sure about the real meaning of the CCD ID #...

Edited by AlbertTRAL

• 4 weeks later...

More than unlikely, and quite useless to try and do so as the sensor version can be easily checked with Leica CS.

I may be wrong, but I do think these numbers are used by the firmware to determine individual component drivers, so if the number does not match the actual part the camera will be in trouble electronically.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So, if I understand well, if the fw is 1.196 and the guy claims camera sensor has been upgraded, he's lying?

Ins't he?

It rather depends on how you interpret "upgraded".

If the sensor was replaced, when it was corroded, with the original type ie before October 2015 (fitting began of the MkII sensor around October 2015 I have seen no firm date) then that MkI sensor was identical to the original and would work with firmware 1.196, you could however claim that the sensor was "upgraded"as the old one was corroded and the new that replaced it was not.

If you maintain to "upgrade" the sensor means a MkII sensor fitted then yes that cannot be the case as new firmware 1.204 was used for the new sensor, current firmware 1.216 is common to both sensors, added support for Thambar-M 90 f/2.2  & Noctilux-M 75 f/1.25 ASPH. 

"It was being economical with the truth."

The expression comes from a statement given in evidence by Sir Robert Armstrong, British cabinet secretary, in the 'Spycatcher' trial (1986), conducted to prevent publication of a book by a former MI5 employee, 'It contains a misleading impression, not a lie. It was being economical with the truth.'

• 4 months later...

My New M-E, i buy it new Today with 2 years of warranty have:

CCD ID: 12

Control Brd ID: 2

Fw 1.216 

Probably the sensor is old...

All the data logged would indicate that it is an "old" sensor. If you have a two year warranty I would keep a close eye on the sensor output for signs of corrosion and act promptly if it is seen but regardless with 6 months left of the warranty ask for it to be sent to Leica to check the sensor then any replacement will be under the warranty, after that it is going to be a paid replacement should it ever fail, not all seem to but there are no known figures to calculate the probability of failure AFAIK.

The firmware version does not indicate the sensor version, the current firmware 1.216 works on both "old" and "new" sensor types.

• 2 weeks later...

My M9-P arrived today and I did the button dance to check the sensor ID. Listed as having a replacement sensor by reputable dealer.

Paperwork enclosed contained a Customer Care notice signed in Wetzlar on 27/8/18 (I must have snagged it the day it was then listed online once back in the UK...) but this didn't actually say what had been done just that the camera had been "repaired".

CCD ID: 15

CCD Brd ID: 2

Control Brd ID: 6

Firmware is version 1.216

5470 exposures

Edited by NigelG

Just received an M9-P from The Classic Camera in London, UK. Description stated the sensor was replaced by Leica in Germany. Unfortunately, no paperwork was enclosed indicating this, so found this thread to check the Hardware IDs:

CCD ID: 15

Control Brd ID: 2

Firmware version 1.210

Looks like I'm in the clear. I have emailed Wetzlar to get confirmation. Will try and see if they'll provide written proof of service and repair, although I doubt it...

Thank you to everyone in this thread. You guys put my mind at ease, now I can thoroughly enjoy my M9-P :)

Edited by a5m
  • Like 1

hey guys, 

would you buy a pretty cheap M9 sold by some shop claiming that the sensor was replaced in 2015 but that it shows 2 stuck pixels?

they offer no warranty though.  

Generally, no.

But it also depends on how cheap it is and what the cosmetic condition is. 

well, overall conditions seem pretty good, they offer camera, 3 batteries and a leather half case for 1700 euros. 

It's not too bad. But considering that whoever buys it almost certainly has to send it in for sensor replacement at his/her own expense, it seems hardly worth the hassle. One will quite likely find an M9 with a new-gen sensor for around the same price as the total amount one would have to pay for this one plus the sensor replacement. 

This doesn't apply to those who only need to buy an M9 for parts, though, obviously. 

Edited by Rus

It's not too bad. But considering that whoever buys it almost certainly has to send it in for sensor replacement at his/her own expense, it seems hardly worth the hassle. One will quite likely find an M9 with a new-gen sensor for around the same price as the total amount one would have to pay for this one plus the sensor replacement. 

This doesn't apply to those who only need to buy an M9 for parts, though, obviously.

are you saying that 2 stuck pixels today mean that the sensor will get worse soon?

I could live with 2 stuck pixels if it won’t be more...

are you saying that 2 stuck pixels today mean that the sensor will get worse soon?

I could live with 2 stuck pixels if it won’t be more...

If memory serves, sometime in 2015 Leica started to replace the corroded sensor with the new-gen sensor. There is a chance that the one in this M9 is still the original type rather than the corrosion resistant type. Personally, I'd be more hesitant about picking up this M9 because of this uncertainty. 

If memory serves, sometime in 2015 Leica started to replace the corroded sensor with the new-gen sensor. There is a chance that the one in this M9 is still the original type rather than the corrosion resistant type. Personally, I'd be more hesitant about picking up this M9 because of this uncertainty.

No Rus, the shop claims that this M9 has had the sensor replaced in 2015, is I wrote.

No Rus, the shop claims that this M9 has had the sensor replaced in 2015, is I wrote.

Yes I know. But Leica only started to use the new-gen sensor from June 2015 onwards. 

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/05/leica-issues-update-on-ccd-corrosion/

I'd say there is a good chance that this M9 is still sporting the original-type. 

Does the shop tell you when in 2015 the sensor was replaced? 

Edited by Rus

Yes I know. But Leica only started to use the new-gen sensor from June 2015 onwards. 

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/05/leica-issues-update-on-ccd-corrosion/

I'd say there is a good chance that this M9 is still sporting the original-type. 

Does the shop tell you when in 2015 the sensor was replaced?

I am gonna ask right now
  • Like 1