Determining New Sensor - M9

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Trying to determine CCD update.

I had no success but perhaps someone smarter than I can help here.

This applies to firmware: 1.210

Do this with a freshly charged battery.

For the M9 there is a service menu which can be brought up as follows.

Power on

Delete -> up (2x) -> down (4x) -> left (3x) -> right (3x) -> Info

This shows the service menu.

Scroll down and up using the arrow buttons.

Press Set to select an item

Gently press the shutter release to leave item.

Press Info again for the menu

Under Hardware IDS, I get this on one M9

CCD ID: 8

CCD Board: 2

Control BRD: 2

M16CID: 0

For another M9 (same firmware) I see

CCD ID: 5

This means nothing to me. There is much more. I have not tried active tests for fear of messing up. Some of the items are quite interesting and it would be great if others could contribute.

Interesting:

Color Shading (on/off)

Black Shading (normal, always on, always off)

and others ... my battery died here. :)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there,

just to chime in.

My M9 also has FW 1.210.

It has an old sensor (no replacement so far).

The data is as follows (same as your second):

CCD ID: 5

• Like 1

FWIW, this is what I found (under Hardware IDS).

For my M9, which has recently got the new sensor replacement: CCD ID 15, CCD Board 2, Control BRD 2, M16CID 0.

For my MM1, still with its original sensor:  CCD ID 52, CCD Board 52, Control BRD 52, M16CID 0.

Afraid this just adds to the confusion...

Edited by elgenper
  • Like 1

So it seems CCD ID 5 on the M9 is the old sensor?

Can anybody else confirm or check?

This seems to be a more accurate confirmation of a new / old sensor than the FW 1.204 since FW 1.210 has been released for all M9s

Chris, I do not know. My older M9 was extensively rebuilt after an accident a few years ago.  I cannot recall if the sensor was replaced. It has Hardware ID: 8.

My much later M9 has Hardware ID: 5. Seller claimed it has a new sensor, but I have reason to disbelieve.

Sorry.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is too early to know, but so far I suspect the CCD ID is not a fixed value to determine the sensor version. We (or I) must dig deeper.

Thanks to all who have contributed. I hope more will do the same.

It is too early to know, but so far I suspect the CCD ID is not a fixed value to determine the sensor version. We (or I) must dig deeper.

Thanks to all who have contributed. I hope more will do the same.

Version no. Batch yes.

I'll caution you again when in that service menu try not to change anything. Some changes can't be undone unless it is in the factory.

Version no. Batch yes.

I'll caution you again when in that service menu try not to change anything. Some changes can't be undone unless it is in the factory.

Yes, batch number. Good point. I found a document regarding the M8 cameras and service menu. The author has in bold type 'Do not run this option' over test features. I'm properly frightened! :)

OK, so far the thesis seems to hold true.

CCD ID 5 = Old M9 Sensor

CCD ID 8 = ? Maybe new M9 Sensor as well

CCD ID 15 = New M9 Sensor

@ pico: Is there a new leatherette on the camera sold as a new sensor? (The one you are not sure about)

Still to little data for a MM thesis.

CCD ID 52 could mean "monochrome version of ccd id 5". But this is just a wild guess.

Any more data? :-)

Edited by Chris
  • Like 1

I sent my M9-P and MM for replacement sensors in February, which came back to me a few weeks ago.

For what it's worth, I believe they have the new sensors, but obviously cannot confirm.

Anyway, here's what I have:

M9-P:

CCD ID: 15

CCD Board ID: 2

Control Brd ID: 2

M16C ID: 0

MM:

CCD ID: 53

CCD Board ID: 52

Control Brd ID: 52

M16C ID: 0

I sent my M9-P and MM for replacement sensors in February, which came back to me a few weeks ago.

For what it's worth, I believe they have the new sensors, but obviously cannot confirm.

They didn't send a work note back with your cameras ?? Every time my M9 has been to the factory (3x), I've had a work not come back with it.

When I sent my m9 to Wetzlar last March for repair work on the circuit board, the camera came back with also the new type sensor and fw 1.204. The work note however only mentioned "adjust sensor" and "update firmware", among other works done on the circuit board.

At first I couldn't be sure whether the sensor in the camera was the new one or not, although the fw version seemed to suggest the former. It was after I wrote to Leica and specifically inquired about this that they wrote back to confirm that it was indeed the new type sensor.

So perhaps sometimes they just don't note it down as clearly and unambiguously as one might hope:p

Edited by Rus

They didn't send a work note back with your cameras ?? Every time my M9 has been to the factory (3x), I've had a work not come back with it.

Yeah, they sent a summary of the work that was done (along with boxes, which are apparently collectables according to my local camera shop).

The work included the usual CLA stuff like RF adjustment, etc. , but the change of sensor point was ambiguous (i.e. it did not specify if it was a new generation sensor). I can email them and ask if you want.

When I sent my m9 to Wetzlar last March for repair work on the circuit board, the camera came back with also the new type sensor and fw 1.204. The work note however only mentioned "adjust sensor" and "update firmware", among other works done on the circuit board.

At first I couldn't be sure whether the sensor in the camera was the new one or not, although the fw version seemed to suggest the former. It was after I wrote to Leica and specifically inquired about this that they wrote back to confirm that it was indeed the new type sensor.

So perhaps sometimes they just don't note it down as clearly and unambiguously as one might hope:p

Inexcusable if true.

One of my former jobs as a programmer was in MRP (specifically MRP2), and that was over thirty years ago. Our product could trace just damned near everything that was entered into the system, and sometimes by inference what was not! I can hardly believe Leica today has nothing remotely similar.  Perhaps they do but keep it hush.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Inexcusable if true.

One of my former jobs as a programmer was in MRP (specifically MRP2), and that was over thirty years ago. Our product could trace just damned near everything that was entered into the system, and sometimes by inference what was not! I can hardly believe Leica today has nothing remotely similar.  Perhaps they do but keep it hush.

Ah my phrasing there must have been confusing.  

yes I do think that Leica most likely keeps pretty detailed logs of these things. What I meant with my previous thread was that perhaps sometimes they don't declare / state all the works done on the camera as clearly and unambiguously in the work summary sheet issued to the customer. 

Sorry for the confusion :p

Anyway, back to the main topic, so far we've seen three M9's with the new sensor showing the same hardware ID codes 15, 2, 2, 0.

Edited by Rus

Inexcusable if true.

One of my former jobs as a programmer was in MRP (specifically MRP2), and that was over thirty years ago. Our product could trace just damned near everything that was entered into the system, and sometimes by inference what was not! I can hardly believe Leica today has nothing remotely similar. Perhaps they do but keep it hush.

They do not.