Determining New Sensor - M9

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As Leica installed 1.204 on replacing my sensor I feel confident that the new non-corroding, all singing, all dancing sensor was indeed used.

I wouldn't have thought that they would install anything else. Surely if an M9 sensor has been replaced fairly recently - for whatever reason - they wouldn't use a corrosion-risk sensor.

I'll check the service note I got back with mine but ambiguous or not, I just can't believe they would do that, it never crossed my mind until a few members brought it up.

• Like 1

The new non-corroding sensor stack was anounced here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249569-leica-m9-corrosion-sensor-replacement-starts-now/

I presume that they installed only corrosion-proof sensors from then on.

In the discussions about the failing sensor stacks it was mentioned that the corroding cover glass had another transmission spectrum than the other sensor covers. Hence, the color adjustment has to be different. Later software releases had to support both kinds of sensor, anyway, as long as Leica only replaces sensors which are defective. Another implication would be that there must be a way for the software to detect the kind of sensor present in the camera, even if was just a soldered bridge.

The brute-force approach to the question might possibly consist in a bit-wise comparison of two DNG images of a non-fixed sensor against a replaced one. 

• Like 1

The new non-corroding sensor stack was anounced here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249569-leica-m9-corrosion-sensor-replacement-starts-now/

I presume that they installed only corrosion-proof sensors from then on.

Yes, that's what I would presume and in which case my sensor replacement (January 2016) was with the new corrosion proof sensor.

I am baffled as to why users would update if they don't own the Summaron.

Dunno. And I would agree, but then why would they install 1.204 at all ? 

I work in IT security - One of the main things you learn is to always be up to date (eg software versions).

Old habbits die hard - so I installed the newest fw release.

• Like 2

I work in IT security - One of the main things you learn is to always be up to date (eg software versions). [...]

Agreed with one reservation - be certain we can revert if the update goes wonky. :) And they have.

• Like 2

I traded in my M240 for the SL and also obtained the 24-90 zoom last summer, but I still had the rangefinder itch for my 28mm Lux and APO 50mm.  Dan Tamarkin was able in March to obtain a beautiful silver M9 with new sensor and a year warranty.  I checked and I have the

CCD ID: 15

CCD Board ID: 2

Control Brd ID: 2

M16C ID: 0

I am again enjoying the M9 color, I have a M10 on order but I am ambivalent whether to actually get it or wait until next year.  

Edited by waterman1
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, that's what I would presume and in which case my sensor replacement (January 2016) was with the new corrosion proof sensor.

I emailed Customer Services in Wexlar, and was informed that "Since October 2015 the “new generation” sensors have been installed. With the redesign of the CCD’S cover glass the issue was permanently fixed."

In regard to my particular case, just giving the camera's serial number was sufficient to get a clear and unambiguous response:  "We have installed the „new generation“ sensor during repair number 827xxx". They clearly do keep files on all the cameras they work on, as you would expect

Jim

• Like 2

I thought I would share my experience since I too have been wondering if my M9 Sensor was replaced.  My camera was sent in to Leica NJ for repair of the meter recently and I asked to have sensor replaced seeing how I checked it before sending it and it showed signs of corrosion.  My camera came back with work description of "adjusted flexible board" as one of the line items.  I talked to someone at Leica NJ after giving my serial number and they confirmed that it did indeed have new sensor.  My firmware came back 1.210 with CCD ID of 15.  When I asked the technician if the CCD ID was indication of new sensor they said that it was.  Hope this helps all who were wondering.  Not sure why the paperwork description is so vague but at least I know for sure.

• Like 2

My Leica M9 was upgraded to M9P from an a la carte program in 2010.
My sensor info is similar to most here, except the control board is 9
CCD ID: 15

CCD Board ID: 2

Control Brd ID: 9

For what it is worth. I love my M9P. I live with the weakness of the buffer and lowlight.

• 3 weeks later...

I SENT MY M9 INTO LEICA FOR AN UPGRADE TO M9P AND MENTIONED THAT THE SENSOR NEEDED CLEANING. THIS WA BEFORE THE SENSOR CORROSION ISSUE BECAME PUBLICIZED. THE SENSOR WAS REPLACED AND HAS BEEN TROUBLE FREE SINCE THEN.

WHERN I CAME ON TO THIS THREAD, I CHECKED TO SEE WHAT THE SENSOR DATA WAS  AND I CAME UP WITH THE FOLLOWING:

CCD ID: 11

CCD BOARD ID: 2

CONTROL BD. ID: 2

AS YOU CAN SEE, THE CCD ID IS NEITHER 5 NOR 15 NOR ANY OF THE OTHER SERIES YOU GUYS HAVE MENTIONED. SO I DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE THE NEW SENSOR OR THE OLD SENSOR.  ANY COMMENTS OR INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

• Like 2

I SENT MY M9 INTO LEICA FOR AN UPGRADE TO M9P AND MENTIONED THAT THE SENSOR NEEDED CLEANING. THIS WA BEFORE THE SENSOR CORROSION ISSUE BECAME PUBLICIZED. THE SENSOR WAS REPLACED AND HAS BEEN TROUBLE FREE SINCE THEN.

WHERN I CAME ON TO THIS THREAD, I CHECKED TO SEE WHAT THE SENSOR DATA WAS  AND I CAME UP WITH THE FOLLOWING:

AS YOU CAN SEE, THE CCD ID IS NEITHER 5 NOR 15 NOR ANY OF THE OTHER SERIES YOU GUYS HAVE MENTIONED. SO I DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE THE NEW SENSOR OR THE OLD SENSOR.  ANY COMMENTS OR INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Just ask Leica...

.... THIS WA BEFORE THE SENSOR CORROSION ISSUE BECAME PUBLICIZED. ...

If it really was "before", then it's the old sensor which may corrode again.

Please have your keyboard looked after. It seems to be corroded.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello,

M9 with new sensor changed during summer '16.

CCD ID: 16

May be CCD ID: YY = Year of production of the sensor. Which could mean the first one, those with the issue were produced in 2005 and the latest like mine in 2016. And all the other numbers in between.

• Like 1

When you sensor was replaced? I have the same. It was replaced in 2012.

When you sensor was replaced? I have the same. It was replaced in 2012.

So, my suggestion that YY is the year the sensor has been produced could be true...

So if your CCD ID: 11 could mean : sensor produced in 2011 and changed in 2012 into your M9....makes sense...