Determining New Sensor - M9

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am gonna ask 

Yes I know. But Leica only started to use the new-gen sensor from June 2015 onwards. 

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/05/leica-issues-update-on-ccd-corrosion/

I'd say there is a good chance that this M9 is still sporting the original-type. 

Does the shop tell you when in 2015 the sensor was replaced? 

the guy has to ask Leica, but he seems to remember it was summer..... 

bah! don't know....

I am gonna ask

Yes I know. But Leica only started to use the new-gen sensor from June 2015 onwards.

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/05/leica-issues-update-on-ccd-corrosion/

I'd say there is a good chance that this M9 is still sporting the original-type.

the guy has to ask Leica, but he seems to remember it was summer.....

bah! don't know....

If you know the SN you can perhaps send an email to LEICA CS yourself, which might be faster?

They answered at Leica. This M9 has the latest sensor installed. So no corrosion risks. 

Just dead pixel (Leica guy actually told me the camera has been serviced also for dead pixels in 2017)

what would you do in my shoes......?

Dead pixels are a fact of life on Leicas. I think only my recently overhauled M9 doesn't have them, but I haven't really looked and don't intend to either.

There is no guarantee that the next M9 you look at won't have dead pixels. At least the seller has been upfront with you and disclosedthat fact. Provided the dead pixels don't cause lines across images, I wouldn't have a problem with them.

Digital Ms aren't the same as the film Ms. Make sure you have a contingency fund to deal with any problems that might arise.

They answered at Leica. This M9 has the latest sensor installed. So no corrosion risks. 

Just dead pixel (Leica guy actually told me the camera has been serviced also for dead pixels in 2017)

what would you do in my shoes......? 

Will you be able to take test shots with this camera before deciding? If so, it might be worth doing just to see the extent of the dead pixel issue in real terms. 

And I agree with what silverchrome has said about putting aside a contingency fund for any potential problems, at least for a while. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Will you be able to take test shots with this camera before deciding? If so, it might be worth doing just to see the extent of the dead pixel issue in real terms. 

And I agree with what silverchrome has said about putting aside a contingency fund for any potential problems, at least for a while.

Hi Rus, no chance to put my ands on the camera. It is located in a city far from here.

I do believe the dead pixels are just 2 as claimed. The shop has fame to be a reliable and pretty serious one indeed.

But this camera is the only one they sell without any warranty. And this makes me think (and worry).

Hi Rus, no chance to put my ands on the camera. It is located in a city far from here.

I do believe the dead pixels are just 2 as claimed. The shop has fame to be a reliable and pretty serious one indeed.

But this camera is the only one they sell without any warranty. And this makes me think (and worry).

Ah I see. How about asking them to take some test shots for you then? 

IMHO, if the camera is otherwise fully functional at the moment, and if the shop is willing to say unequivocally that there are no hidden flaws that they know about, then it may still be worth considering, provided that you are still entitled to return it to the shop for a full refund within certain days of purchase. 

well, overall conditions seem pretty good, they offer camera, 3 batteries and a leather half case for 1700 euros. 

I got an M9 used with new sensor and RRS grip and plate for $1700 USD

from a good brick&mortar shop.

Edited by pico

August 2015 should be fine, right?

August 2015 should be fine, right?

I'd think so. But I don't know if the June-2015 division still applies in every case if say the turnaround time happens to span over this time. The best thing to do to determine the type of sensor used in the replacement, from what I've gathered from reading the posts in this forum, seems always to be to ask Leica directly. 

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

I'd think so. But I don't know if the June-2015 division still applies in every case if say the turnaround time happens to span over this time. The best thing to do to determine the type of sensor used in the replacement, from what I've gathered from reading the posts in this forum, seems always to be to ask Leica directly. 

Oh and, to that I should like to add that, for me, the hardware ID seems still a pretty good indication already. 

• Like 1

I sent serial to Leica as you suggested, they say it is a first replacement sensor. So not safe.

They asked me to see a DNG closed aperture file though.

Who knows why....

I think they were trying to see if there was any sign of corrosion on this sensor.