Determining New Sensor - M9

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, my suggestion that YY is the year the sensor has been produced could be true...

So if your CCD ID: 11 could mean : sensor produced in 2011 and changed in 2012 into your M9....makes sense...

Well, as stated in my first post, my Monochrom has CCD ID  52, which then should make it the father of all M Leicas....;-)

• Like 1

Well, as stated in my first post, my Monochrom has CCD ID  52, which then should make it the father of all M Leicas....;-)

I thought about it as well and the rule may apply only to the M9.  :)

There must be another pattern for the monochroms...

CCD ID 52 = Old MM1 sensor

CCD ID 53 = New MM1 sensor

As far as information reported here is right.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent my M9 to Leica NJ exactly one year ago (July 2016) for the sensor replacement. Also had it upgraded to M9-P.

CCD ID: 15

CCD Board ID: 2

Control Brd ID: 9

M16C ID: 0

Edited by d0c0m0

• 1 month later...

Just seeing this thread and looked at the in camera info which shows CCD ID 11

Mine was among the first group of cameras that went to NJ under the goodwill program. It was there a long time as they were awaiting the new sensors. Some took advantage of the trade-up to M240, which I was tempted to. I had been travelling, and when I returned home my M9 arrived with a new sensor and circuit board, covering. As I recall the firmware was 1.204. I believe the new sensors ran firmware 1.210 while the older ones used 1.204. Sometime last year I upgraded to 1.204 and every thing is as expected- wonderful!

In the meantime I continue to use the camera and appreciate it for all its worth, and occasionally check for dust and corrosion...and hope for the best. If it shows any sign of corrosion in the future, well, time will tell.

I will keep using my M9 regardless of the sensor corrosion no matter how severe it becomes. I consider the artifacts as proof of my having making the image. Of course, I will probably never make a remarkable image. Such is life.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Just seeing this thread and looked at the in camera info which shows CCD ID 11

Mine was among the first group of cameras that went to NJ under the goodwill program. It was there a long time as they were awaiting the new sensors. Some took advantage of the trade-up to M240, which I was tempted to. I had been travelling, and when I returned home my M9 arrived with a new sensor and circuit board, covering. As I recall the firmware was 1.204. I believe the new sensors ran firmware 1.210 while the older ones used 1.204. Sometime last year I upgraded to 1.204 and every thing is as expected- wonderful!

In the meantime I continue to use the camera and appreciate it for all its worth, and occasionally check for dust and corrosion...and hope for the best. If it shows any sign of corrosion in the future, well, time will tell.

should have read upgraded firmware to 1.210

• 5 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sent my M9p to Leica NJ back in 2014, not convinced the sensor cover was corroding, but I sent it in to have it checked out. It was corroding, so Leica did the full sensor swap, redid the leather on the M9P, replaced

the motherboard, etc. Given this was 2014, the sensor put in my camera was the same sensor that was prone to corrode.  I was not concerned, knowing Leica would continue to replace the sensor as needed. 

I did not check the CCD ID of my M9p when it came from Leica.  

Fast forward to 2017, with the policy changes regarding sensor replacement, I boxed up both my 2012 M9p and my 2014 MM1 and sent them off to Leica NJ in mid-May (the day after the announcement from Leica).  Five months later, I have the M9p in hand. This time, rather than giving me a list of work done, I got only a packing slip with the camera listed and the order date of 5/19/2017. Inside the box was a customer care certificate saying "This Leica product was tested and inspected by Leica factory trained technicians and found to meet all factory standards." There were two signatures: one by the technician, and one from the final inspector.

I have a service number for the order, so I think I will call Leica tomorrow to ask if my sensor was indeed fine, or if it was replaced.

I would think it must have been fine and they didn't replace the "new" old sensor, but after seeing this thread I decided to do the button dance on the M9p and found this under the ID section:

CCD ID 16

CCD BOARD ID 4

CONTROL BRD ID 10

Whether Leica just cleaned and adjusted my M9p, or did a sensor swap, I am so happy to have it back. I shot with yesterday alongside my MD-262. Love both cameras.

Edited by mp58

Sent my M9 (vintage 2009) for sensor replacement in June to Wetzlar, got it back in September.  That's two months plus the factory vacation period.  I now have CCID = 15.  No documents describing the repair, and I didn't record the status of the various hardware components before sending it.  It works fine, sensor is clean, colors great.  Firmware 1.210, but I think that is what I sent it in with.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am about to buy a Leica M9 tomorrow that has claims to having a new sensor fitted but the firmware installed is 1.176

I am guessing, if it HAS had a new sensor fitted then it must of been a while ago and must have the old version? would this be a fair conclusion?

I am about to buy a Leica M9 tomorrow that has claims to having a new sensor fitted but the firmware installed is 1.176

I am guessing, if it HAS had a new sensor fitted then it must of been a while ago and must have the old version? would this be a fair conclusion?

I think you might be right. 

The new corrosion resistant sensor needs FW 1.204 or 1.210. 

I wouldn’t trust it without seeing paper from Leica or at least an email verifying it was changed. Edited by jdlaing

CCD ID: 11

CCD Board: 2

Control BRD: 2

So it would seem that they replaced the original sensor with the old version again, given that the CCD ID is 11, Im guessing, replaced 2011 before the new sensors were available?

100% confirmation will arrive Monday from Leica Mayfair.

• 1 month later...

Dear forum members,

My M9 was sent to Leica in October 2015 and collected back in July 2016. The hardware info is:

CCD ID :15

CCD Board ID : 2

Control Brd ID : 2

M16C ID : 0

Firmware now is 1.210 as I forget whether had updated or not. There is no corrosion issue at all.

Does anyone know the CCD is a new one or still has corrosion issue sensor.

Thanks